Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

racing tire flat fix? safe or unsafe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 12:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts
Default racing tire flat fix? safe or unsafe?

When you get a nail or screw in the middle of the tire area, is it wise to fix it with a patch and or plug, or toss the tire. its 50% gone, but still in good shape. i do remember doing a rubber plug (vulcanizing) and it lasted for a couple of race weekends, but it was very long ago.
Just pinging the list to see what the experts think?

Mk
Old 09-18-2007, 01:04 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

...not an expert, but I've patched from inside twice and ran'm until they were worn out. no issues. before i did it i asked and other's had done it.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:20 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

You'll get plenty of people telling you you're stupid to repair them. I've plugged tires, but luckily have never had to do it to a track tire. Local roundy rounders do it all the time. I've never had a plugged tire fail, but it would be nasty to have one fail at 100mph. Internal patching would definitely be best if you did fix it.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

Plug and patch.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:04 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on the cost to replace the tire too. I know you have a habit of getting leftovers from World Challenge. For me a 1-2 heat cycle tire costs me 50 bucks where a internal patch costs me 20-30 bucks. For 20 bucks more I'm not thinking about a patched tire while I'm in grid.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:20 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

I think that makes the most sense. I do get some pretty nice tires at the WC events, (one is coming up) and just thinking or wondering about something else, is probably not worth the net $20 loss distraction!

thanks for the input guys. in the trash it goes!

mk

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
Depends on the cost to replace the tire too. I know you have a habit of getting leftovers from World Challenge. For me a 1-2 heat cycle tire costs me 50 bucks where a internal patch costs me 20-30 bucks. For 20 bucks more I'm not thinking about a patched tire while I'm in grid.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:37 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

T patch. The key is that the carcass is not damaged from the puncture or driving on it when flat. If the above is not the case a T patch is a posable fix. It has to be installed from the inside. Dismount the tire, rough up the area around the puncture and coat with the the supplied glue. Then push the leg of the T patch through the puncture hole and pull the patch tight from the outside. This seals the air leak and keeps water from getting into the cording. I would not bother patching a $20 tire ether but have seen some well regarded tire sellers and race teams patch tires so you make your own call.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:21 PM
jester911
Drifting

Just had my track tire patched from inside last week and ran it all weekend with no issues.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:26 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jester911
Just had my track tire patched from inside last week and ran it all weekend with no issues.
and people get away with murder, too. that doesn't mean its ok

OK WAY out of proportion J/K
though i would like to know if the process for patching a racing tire is the same as for a street tire?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:49 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Some people smoke two packs a day for 60 years without issues.

I plugged a Toyo for six bucks about a year ago, and ran it down to the cords. I forgot that I'd plugged it, honestly -- if I'd remembered, I would have added a patch for insurance.

But aside from the standard 'pilot's advice' to never make any tiny compromise on safety, ever, I haven't heard of a patch failing (or, for that matter, a plug), but my statistical sample is very tiny. By the time you find out you've got lung cancer, it's pretty much too late to think about luck and statistics.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:05 PM
jester911
Drifting

The tire I had patched is an R compound. It was found during my tech inspection and they patched it just as they would any other tire. I would like to add that the hole was in the middle of a groove so it wasn't in a bad spot. Oh and I have only killed a few people but they really needed killing.

Last edited by jester911; 09-18-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:17 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a flat fixed with a plug by the dealer on a Michelin Pilot Sport only 2500 miles on the tire. Replaced it with a new one ($$$), because members in my club said I should (!). Anyway, here's pics of the tire inside and out. Can this be salvaged (hot patched from the inside) to run on the track for DE's ??
Thanks
Attached Images   
Old 09-18-2007, 11:08 PM
James-man
Race Car

I am afraid that we need to hear of a patched tire failure anecdote to fully take this degree of caution so seriously. The recommender always needs to be conservative with advice so that in the unlikely event that something bad happens, he would have a clear conscience. Naturally, advice about "should I replace this tire" questions should come up with "Yes" responses.

Anyone have or know of any patch failures?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:02 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by James-man
The recommender always needs to be conservative with advice so that in the unlikely event that something bad happens, he would have a clear conscience.
'Pilot's Advice.'
Old 09-19-2007, 07:37 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just my $.02
I would never track a patched tire. The load and stresses you put a tire on at the track are much more severe that what you put it through on the street as are the consequesces of a failure.
I had a hole like that on my street PS2's and patched it from the inside and they have held up well but I'm not driving into triple digits or pulling 1.2 G's on the street

Quick Reply: racing tire flat fix? safe or unsafe?