Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me set my shift light!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 11:44 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Please help me set my shift light!!

Hi, just got the below sequential shift light. could someone please give me some suggestions on setup?? My red line is 6750rpms.
the red light is set and then each light (three green, two yellows) can be set from 100 to 400 each. ie red 6500 then each light before goes off at 100-400 before the next as set.
My question for you guys with shift lights. do I set the red light at the rpms I want to shift at. or at my redline and shift, or a little before redline to give me time to shift?
Sorry if this sounds like I am an idiot (well if the shoe fits!) but not sure.
also not sure about the earlier lights better to be at 100rpms apiece or longer at say 200 or 400?
Really appreaciate any help, I have been hitting my rev limiter too much so trying to retrain myself!!
Thanks guys
tom

Product ID: BE-S100
Brockway Engineering S100 Sequential Shift Light Meter

Sequential Shift Light Meter. The S100 was designed primarily for road racing, however it can be used for any kind of racing or street driving. Robust circuit design ensures reliable operation in extreme conditions. Microprocessor controlled for flexibility, accuracy and repeatability.

• Programmable from 5000 rpm to 12,900 rpm in 100 rpm increments.

• Operates with 2-12 cylinder engines.

• LED meter can be dimmed for night driving. (may be necessary because the LED's are EXTREMELY BRIGHT.)

• Easy setup allows adjustment for pulses/rev (example: 4 cylinder engine = 2 pulses/rev), RPM spacing (RPM difference between each LED) and shift point RPM.

Red LED lights up at set point and each LED in sequence lights up at 100-600 rpm before. So, if you set the RPM spacing at 400 and set the shift point at 8,000 rpm then the first green LED will light up at 6,000 rpm, the next at 6,400 rpm, the next at 6,800 rpm and so on until the last LED (red) is illuminated.

IMPORTANT: tach signal must be a clean digital pulse. In most cases, the tach signal will come from the ECU. Some vehicles may not have a clean tach drive signal, in which case the signal that drives the ignition is what should be used.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:18 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey Tom,

I have a Racepak G2X datalogger now in the GT3 and it has the shift light function as well.
I've set the shift point at 8000rpms (redline is 8200) and the shift lights come up gradually in 100rpm ingredients.
For me it works great and I seldom go past the shift point. (and even if I did, I still had that 200rpms buffer).
Maybe I'm not squeezing all the performance out of the engine by "short shifting" at 8000rpms, but what's the hurry!?
I've got tons to learn and hundreds of track days ahead of me before I need use that last 200rpms...

Here's a short video that shows the shift lights nicely. I was gonna head up to Moroso for some 1/4 mile action this Friday (invited by friends) and this is why I went out to a deserted stretch of road and practised launching.
But since I got a spot at Sebring, I'm gonna pass on the red-neck sport and drive up to Sebring instead!

Here's the vid: http://m3supercar.1g.fi/Videos/996-GT3.wmv (right click & Save Target As)

regards,

Juha

EDIT: Tom, where do you pick up the RPM signal? I am getting mine from the OBD2 terminal (pin #9). It seems to work very accurately with the G2X.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:58 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My redline is 7K 5 lights total. 2 green 1 yellow 2 red.

First green light comes on at 5K to remind me I'm in the powerband. A nice thing IMO.

2nd light is on at 6400

1st yellow is on at 6600

1st red is on at 6800

Last red and all of them blinking is on at 7000.

I personally shift when I see the yellow light to help with engine longevity.

200 gap seems nice. 100 seems a bit too close IMO
Old 09-13-2007, 05:17 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is no 'correct' offset, its different for every driver. Different seating positions, peripheral awareness, reaction times all play a part. The point is that you can change it to suit yourself.

Start with the red light coming on at some arbitrary value and be looking for it. Adjust that value to suit the way in which you change gear. Then set the other lights to suit, their main purpose is to attract your attention to the impending warning to change gear.

Most of the time you should be sufficiently within your bandwidth limits that you do not need shift warning lights. The more comfortable you are with what you are doing, the less you will need chift lights.

R+C
Old 09-13-2007, 08:03 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 812 Likes on 413 Posts

I have mine set by gear

2nd, it is ~6100
In 3rd ~6600
In 4th 6750

My redline is 6800
Old 09-13-2007, 10:41 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Tom
I asked a similar question about my shift lights; some of the posts might be useful.
My thread title is "Configuring shift lights on AIM datalogger."
I generally agree with the idea that it is different for each driver.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:54 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Juha G
Hey Tom,

I have a Racepak G2X datalogger now in the GT3 and it has the shift light function as well.
I've set the shift point at 8000rpms (redline is 8200) and the shift lights come up gradually in 100rpm ingredients.
For me it works great and I seldom go past the shift point. (and even if I did, I still had that 200rpms buffer).
Maybe I'm not squeezing all the performance out of the engine by "short shifting" at 8000rpms, but what's the hurry!?
I've got tons to learn and hundreds of track days ahead of me before I need use that last 200rpms...

Here's a short video that shows the shift lights nicely. I was gonna head up to Moroso for some 1/4 mile action this Friday (invited by friends) and this is why I went out to a deserted stretch of road and practised launching.
But since I got a spot at Sebring, I'm gonna pass on the red-neck sport and drive up to Sebring instead!

Here's the vid: http://m3supercar.1g.fi/Videos/996-GT3.wmv (right click & Save Target As)

regards,

Juha

EDIT: Tom, where do you pick up the RPM signal? I am getting mine from the OBD2 terminal (pin #9). It seems to work very accurately with the G2X.
Thanks good info and that's how I will try mine. See ya at Sebring.
and mine also at the OBD port.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:55 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
My redline is 7K 5 lights total. 2 green 1 yellow 2 red.

First green light comes on at 5K to remind me I'm in the powerband. A nice thing IMO.

2nd light is on at 6400

1st yellow is on at 6600

1st red is on at 6800

Last red and all of them blinking is on at 7000.

I personally shift when I see the yellow light to help with engine longevity.

200 gap seems nice. 100 seems a bit too close IMO

thanks, I thought that 100 may be too close. I may go with 200.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:58 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hi Tom
I asked a similar question about my shift lights; some of the posts might be useful.
My thread title is "Configuring shift lights on AIM datalogger."
I generally agree with the idea that it is different for each driver.
Colin, Rick, thanks for replying, as always very helpful.
tom

Quick Reply: Please help me set my shift light!!