New Mid-Ohio Comments

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 06:14 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RDL
Dave,
Alan and the others have mentioned the Mid-Ohio instructors and their advice. I will add to this recommendation. If you have an oportunity to walk the track with the M-O instructors you will be amazed at the amount of info they can provide. I picked up 3+ seconds per lap after doing a track walk. Maybe I was just slow to start, but they will teach a very different line through many of the corners than a "school" line. The statement was made that the proper line is the fast line and the safe line.
As to the track, thank heavens they shaved the curbs down since the repaving. Anyone who ran imediately after the paving can tell you about the 6"-8" high launching ramps called curbs. Boy did that make things interesting.
Madness is a blast once you learn the fast way thru. You can can either pull away or catch up to much faster cars if they are using the old school line.
Can you describe the "old school line" vs. the newer faster line? I brought out two instructors (I don't think they were mid O instr.) and each had a different line and had me coming back on to the gas at different times.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:20 AM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

cooz and Dave, I must preface this with these observations are based upon a mildly tuned street car and may be different for a race car, especially one with a great deal of downforce. The major change is in turns 7 and 8, otherwise known as the end of the back straight and madness. The typical school line has you late apex 7 and enter 8 mid track with a late apex. The old saying of late is great early is squirrely. The M-O instructors will show you an early apex of 7 with full throttle (car dependednt) to the bottom inside of 8. This alows for more speed thru 7 and a higher speed into 8. You will sacrafice some speed at the top of 8 but this is the slowest part of this section already. This line can be seen on the M-O video they sell, it is not a new line, more of the true proper/racing line.
The second area is less of a line change and more of a perception for me. The speed at which one can go thru the keyhole is much greater than one thinks.
The next section of turns 10 and 10a are where I have the most problem. I should be able to go thru this section flat out. I just don't have the ***** to do it. I know I can pick up more time in this area.
11 has already been covered by others above. The only thing I have to add is the M-O instructors can show you how the earlier you apex the faster you will be. This also means a reduction in safety margin at the exit. How fast do you want to be, a hero or a zero.
The rest of the time I picked up was related to tweaks in braking and turn in points of the other turns.
I hope this helps.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:49 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Mark, what kind of times were you running at MO? This past weekend at NASA nationals the track was very fast. A GTS-2 968 (F car) ran a 1:38.6 on the pro course.

Mike
Old 09-17-2007, 11:34 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikew968
Mark, what kind of times were you running at MO? This past weekend at NASA nationals the track was very fast. A GTS-2 968 (F car) ran a 1:38.6 on the pro course.

Mike
Lap times were all over the place and I was more focused on the fast corners rather than overall lap times.

In the MO School day on Friday, I did a lot of 28's and some 27's on older tires. I feel there were at least 2 more seconds on good tires and improving a couple of corners.

Sat qual was 33's in heavy traffic. Track had lots of grip but I never came close to clean laps.
Sun race was damp and the car was on slicks with rain setup so times are not siginificant.

Quick Reply: New Mid-Ohio Comments