Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More on seats: is side head protection really a legit safety feature?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 01:18 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is that avatar really you ?
Old 09-10-2007, 01:21 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyT
is that avatar really you ?
Lol, yeah - it's a joke pose. At another forum, we had this thing going about making fun of NJ Guidos, and one in particular who is all over the web - Joey Carrera. The puckered lips, wife-beater, jewels, and Grey Goose are all part of the guido pose, lol. You can see why I need head protection. The 'slade is my tow vehicle, and provided the perfect backdrop to a guido pose. I'll be changing it as soon as I pickup my Boxster track car - the one talked about in the previous thread that Randy Pobst drove.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by schvetkaaks
I saw that video of the aluminum head restraint that just popped off, and it was scary to be sure, but I would think that a seat that has the head restraints integrated into the frame would work, as it would require the tubular steel frame to really give way completely, and that seems unlikely given the head does not weigh that much, and that at least some of the movement is restricted by the H/N device and shoulder blades, no?
The video I saw had a C/F or poly seat that broke off. I just received my add-on section from Kirkey and it's pretty darn strong looking as-is and i'm going to reinforce it...

Last edited by Gary R.; 06-18-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:43 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Looks pretty stout. Good quality TIG welding too (as well as one can tell from the picture.

Don
Old 09-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Gary,

Where will your head/helmet be positioned vertically relative to this particular lateral head restraint section?

Mike
Old 09-10-2007, 11:49 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Despite the evidence of aluminum lateral head restraints bending, they are useful as this will attenuate or control the deceleration of your mellon. ...And yes, your head does become really really heavy upon impact.

Before HANS in open wheel racing, it was common to see bent steering wheels from helmet impacts, and this is in cars where the driver lays down in the monocoque. Yikes!!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:28 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike S.
Gary,

Where will your head/helmet be positioned vertically relative to this particular lateral head restraint section?

Mike
Haven't looked at it yet Mike but I would say my eye level will be just below the bottom of the upper rubber mount with the restraint mounted as low as possible to still allow me good peripheral vision. That should cover just about any sideways range of motion IMO... ideas always welcome though.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:34 PM
tchandler
Instructor

Originally Posted by schvetkaaks
Lol, yeah - it's a joke pose. At another forum, we had this thing going about making fun of NJ Guidos, and one in particular who is all over the web - Joey Carrera. The puckered lips, wife-beater, jewels, and Grey Goose are all part of the guido pose, lol. You can see why I need head protection. The 'slade is my tow vehicle, and provided the perfect backdrop to a guido pose. I'll be changing it as soon as I pickup my Boxster track car - the one talked about in the previous thread that Randy Pobst drove.
Just as an aside;
don't change the avatar that's classic...very funny!
Old 09-11-2007, 01:09 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Originally Posted by tchandler
Just as an aside;
don't change the avatar that's classic...very funny!
I won't change mine if you don't change yours!
Old 09-11-2007, 03:32 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

^ I'll vote for that.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:39 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

The answer to the question is...

Yes, Halos are a legit safety item, in theory. In practice they are a bit problematic, but they do offer advantages. I also feel there is a point of diminshing return regarding their size. They need to offer fairly substantial surface area to be effective in the widest variety of incidents. The Sparco seat pictured (or like other brands) does not fit that description in my opinion. The Kirkey component halo is the real item.

The problem is getting a "real" halo in the car. Good luck with that.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:49 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Good points, John.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:41 PM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Strapped in with only a Hans (& regular GT3 seats) worked for me in a side impact crash where I did a four wheel drift into a barrier. Major damage to the side of the car, but no pain to me. Maybe in a two or more car crash the result would be different?

Quick Reply: More on seats: is side head protection really a legit safety feature?