Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50 Worst Cars of All Time....Ford Excursion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 05:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 50 Worst Cars of All Time....Ford Excursion?

http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...658538,00.html

This was a bit of a surprise. My wife is on her 2nd Excursion (05 6.0l PSD) and chose it to replace her 00 Excursion (7.3l PSD) just to get one before the shut down the line.

Probably the best all around family/tow vehicle we've ever had....too bad it's remembered like this.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:26 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I took offense to that. I don't think there is a vehicle that can do what it can do as well. Tow, reasonable economy for its size (diesel), carrying capacity, etc. We love ours!
Old 09-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

One of my favorite vehicles ever. I've never owned a more a more functional and versatile car/truck. It can tow just about anything, you can fit the contents of a small house in it, it's perfect for hauling kids with the dvd system and all the room, I use it as an office when I'm on the road, you can fit a bunch of buddies in it to haul to and from the track, during hot track days you can put on the AC and run the darn thing all day long.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:10 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...658538,00.html

This was a bit of a surprise. My wife is on her 2nd Excursion (05 6.0l PSD) and chose it to replace her 00 Excursion (7.3l PSD) just to get one before the shut down the line.

Probably the best all around family/tow vehicle we've ever had....too bad it's remembered like this.
May be it is time to revisit the Cayenne, Lewis......

Just kidding, I know how much you "loved" your last one..........
Old 09-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get it, they make fun of the Excursion, yet there are how many other trucks out there that are just as big and weight just as much? The only difference is this one doesn't have a bed...

"12 yards long, 2 lanes wide, 65 tons of American pride. Canyonarrrooooo.... *yah*... canyanaro."
Old 09-09-2007, 06:36 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I can see where he is coming from. The percentage of people who use the Excursion for what it is really designed is minimal.

Dragging the family around town, using it as an office, moving people around are just add-ons to the fact that it has a good tow capacity. If you aren't towing something there are a number of other vehicles that do that stuff much better.

I'd bet that well less than 10% of the Excursion's sold tow anything at all let alone anything over 2000 pounds.

All that being said, there are a number of cars that are much worse than the Excursion IMO that didn't make the list.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
I'd bet that well less than 10% of the Excursion's sold tow anything at all let alone anything over 2000 pounds.
I think the same thing could be said about most trucks on the road, although the percentage is probably a little bit bigger.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:49 PM
JayP
Pro

Please consider the source.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:53 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
I think the same thing could be said about most trucks on the road, although the percentage is probably a little bit bigger.
I don't see it like that. Just to begin with, think of all the work trucks out there. Soccer Mom's don't drive pickups either.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
May be it is time to revisit the Cayenne, Lewis......
Just kidding, I know how much you "loved" your last one..........
I'd rather walk than own another one.....I sometimes have Touret like outbursts everytime I see one drive by.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
I don't see it like that. Just to begin with, think of all the work trucks out there. Soccer Mom's don't drive pickups either.
I think my location(Texas) has a lot to do with it.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:18 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Consider the source. Time Magazine/CNN. Then check the total list of cars. Of course these liberal left wingers have the Excursion on there. They even bemoan the Model T as the original cause of our air pollution and war and have it on the list. Gimme a break.

From the Model T review on the list:
"A century later, the consequences of putting every living soul on gas-powered wheels are piling up, from the air over our cities to the sand under our soldiers' boots."
http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...657663,00.html

IMHO, The Model T is on the list because of that view, not because it was a bad car in it's time.

So Excursion owners, take heart. It's totally political, not based on it's reliabilitiy, functionality and usefullness to it's owners.

I'm off the the corner store in my 3/4 ton Crew Cab Diesel pickup now.

Steve
Old 09-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,613 Likes on 838 Posts

Article was written by limousine liberal douchebags.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:01 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
I think my location(Texas) has a lot to do with it.
Absolutely, FWIW I grew up in MT and the number of pickups on teh road is huge, but they are at least used to get into the backcountry for hunting, pulling horses, etc.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:28 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Just because the article was written by libruls doesn't mean the Excursion wasn't a flop.
Yes, it does have it's uses but even America did not have enough morons to buy them as commuter vehicles.
Yes, I would feel bad if I had to drive one to work and did not use it's capabilities directly at work. That would just be a waste. But it would make a great van, that's for sure. The problem is that the Big Three did make enough vans for work purposes so the Excursion did not have a market. There was cheaper stuff out there that would do the same thing just as well. The rich guy with big toys market is too small and can be served by making upmarket pickup trucks built on the same assembly lines they make millions of work trucks.

Quick Reply: 50 Worst Cars of All Time....Ford Excursion?