Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50 Worst Cars of All Time....Ford Excursion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:34 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe it is vehicle-specific. I once rented one from Hertz and drove from Denver to Chicago. It was abysmal- hard to keep in a staight line, impacted by croswinds, slow. I have had suburbans with over 200,000 miles that were better. Sure, maybe my rental was beaten badly, but maybe some cars are just bad. The one I drove was. AS
Old 09-10-2007, 08:25 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
There was cheaper stuff out there that would do the same thing just as well.
Name the "stuff" that would do the same thing just as well, please...
Old 09-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Note the name "Sierra Club" buried in the paragraph.

No agenda there, huh ?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:45 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Lotus Elite made the list? LOL.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...657783,00.html
Old 09-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,613 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Note the name "Sierra Club" buried in the paragraph.

No agenda there, huh ?
Exactly what I said on the previous page of this thread...
Old 09-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Agreed. I love my 2005 diesel excursion. Recently, I started camping at the track in it. With the DVD entertainment system, it's almost better than many of the track motels that I've stayed at.

BTW: somebody was asking in another thread about MPG in it. While towing from New Jersey to Road America and back, I got slightly over 13 MPG.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Post What's missing

Let's see...Jag-check, BMW-check, Ferrari-check, Lambo-check. No P-cars!
Old 09-10-2007, 01:16 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now here's a car that should've been on the list. Love the seats.

He claims it's a 917 clone and promises Heads will turn. LOL!

http://austin.craigslist.org/car/418374504.html
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2007, 01:28 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
For the exact thing you would use it for it is probably a good vehicle. The problem is that there are not enough guys like you.

A pickup truck when properly optioned could do almost the same thing and would cost less. I won't be able to carry the same number of people, though.

A full size van could carry more people and could also tow if properly equipped. It would have a lot more interior capacity.

In most "work" situations it would be either a pickup or a full size van making it too costly to produce a limited number of Excursions. Which is exactly what happened. Ford was aiming at the Suburban and overshot it in size. Turned out the Suburban is as big as you want to go in that market.

I wouldn't rate the Excursion as one of the 50 worst cars of all time but it was a flop nonetheless.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:53 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Maybe it is vehicle-specific. I once rented one from Hertz and drove from Denver to Chicago. It was abysmal- hard to keep in a staight line, impacted by croswinds, slow. I have had suburbans with over 200,000 miles that were better. Sure, maybe my rental was beaten badly, but maybe some cars are just bad. The one I drove was. AS
Was it a diesel or a gas engine? I would suspect based on your description (except the cross winds) that it was a gas engine. I wouldn't touch an Excursion that wasn't diesel (or an F250/350 either). Drive one with the diesel and it suddenly all makes sense. I've never owned an excursion, but you can't find a vehicle that can tow more with 8 passengers and cargo inside. But, as someone else pointed out, those of us that might actually need that capability are a very limited market segment. Hence the death of the Excursion.

Now the Hummer is the one I never understood....
Old 09-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JayP
Please consider the source.
+1 -- given the fact that the Ford Model T is also on his list just shows that the author has a lot of hot air shooting out of his, er, exhaust... Sounds to me like the author is a tree-hugging, hemp wearing, Prius driving metrosexual. (Not that there is anything wrong with wearing hemp clothing...)

Side note: the Ford Model T is one of the most significant cars in automobile history -- given the fact that it was one of the first cars to be put together on what evolved into the modern assembly line, the fact that it was the first car that was built purposely for the masses, the fact that it had some design features giving it flexibility in terms of application and looks... I could go on...

BTW: in the most recent issue of Automobile Magazine, the Ford Model T is listed as one of the top 25 cars of all time. (Along with the Porsche Carrera RS, btw).

My rather biased $0.42,
-Z-man.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Was it a diesel or a gas engine? I would suspect based on your description (except the cross winds) that it was a gas engine. I wouldn't touch an Excursion that wasn't diesel (or an F250/350 either). Drive one with the diesel and it suddenly all makes sense. I've never owned an excursion, but you can't find a vehicle that can tow more with 8 passengers and cargo inside. But, as someone else pointed out, those of us that might actually need that capability are a very limited market segment. Hence the death of the Excursion.
I actually did a week long trip to Mt. Tremblant and then Mosport carrying grandparents, 3 kids, my wife, me, and an au pair in the Excursion. Towed the Boxster up there as well. Yep, 8 people fit comfortably and we still got great mileage! The excursion rocks.

I think the death of it has little to do with the "limited market segment" for the car, but rather the stigma that comes with owning such a large vehicle. At one point, bigger was better (e.g. Hummer). Now, the latest rage is hybrid cars.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:17 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
For the exact thing you would use it for it is probably a good vehicle. The problem is that there are not enough guys like you.

A pickup truck when properly optioned could do almost the same thing and would cost less. I won't be able to carry the same number of people, though.

A full size van could carry more people and could also tow if properly equipped. It would have a lot more interior capacity.

In most "work" situations it would be either a pickup or a full size van making it too costly to produce a limited number of Excursions. Which is exactly what happened. Ford was aiming at the Suburban and overshot it in size. Turned out the Suburban is as big as you want to go in that market.

I wouldn't rate the Excursion as one of the 50 worst cars of all time but it was a flop nonetheless.
Ah, but your answer is exactly why the Excursion rocks. Sure you could have a pickup. Or a van. Excursion covers all that and with 4WD to boot (not sure there are any diesel vans with 4wd)! I agree that the market for it isn't large, but there is a market. Given the $50k+ F250 diesels I've seen, I don't think the Excursion was particularly more expensive, either (I bought mine in the $20's used with 20k miles, fwiw).

Can you really call the model a flop? It lasted, what 5 years?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
I think the death of it has little to do with the "limited market segment" for the car, but rather the stigma that comes with owning such a large vehicle. At one point, bigger was better (e.g. Hummer). Now, the latest rage is hybrid cars.
My daily driver is a Ford Hybrid Escape....the bride's is the 05 Excursion.....no, size doesn't matter.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:01 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only thing wrong with the Excursion is its name. By calling it an SUV and giving it an SUV name, Ford set it up for attacks by environmentalists, etc.

It is a great vehicle. It has the work and tow qualities of a real truck but for those of us who are better served by seats and enclosed space, it is much better than a pick up. They should have called it the F-250 'something'cab.

Quick Reply: 50 Worst Cars of All Time....Ford Excursion?