Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

boiled em for the first time, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007 | 04:28 PM
mbb993
Instructor

Default follow up report

Just a quick update to the brake saga....
Brakes bled 2 times and noticed the pedal was now lower and mushy very different than before this incident. Then did a complete flush of the system (Motive bleeder) with no improvement. On closer analysis I also notice the pedal slowly sinking during steady pressure while driving. Not completely to the ground but noticeble. Braking still good.

I did a search and have come to the conclusion that the brake master cylinder is probably bad and I suspect the seals may have been damaged at the track when the pedal went repeatedly to the floor. The cylinder is an original part dated 9/94 so I will plan replacing and am praying it is not the ABS causing a problem. I am able to get the ABS to cycle when braking and seems to be working OK. No light on the dash either!

Any other ideas or things I should check?
Thanks!
Old 09-24-2007 | 05:30 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

without reading the post. you need pagid orange pads!

mk
Old 09-24-2007 | 05:35 PM
911pcars
Racer

Mark,
I concur with your conclusions. The torn seal is probably affecting only 1/2 the split hydraulic system. You still have brakes but not all of them.

Bleed the MC before installation. That'll remove most of the air during installation, then use a pressure bleeder or plain gravity to purge the remainder. Since the MC will be new, you shouldn't have any issues using the brake pedal to bleed the system, but don't get into a habit of bleeding this way.

Sherwood
Old 09-25-2007 | 03:24 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mbb993
One other factor I forgot to mention that may have come into play was this is the first event that I had 18" wheels with R compounds on the car. :
This fact is why your brake temps went up so much from last time. Having more usable adhesion from the R compound allows you to brake harder and to build up more heat.

Try the cooling, change in pads and SRF and most importantly focus on the way in which you brake. You didn't mention how much track experience you have. One think I note is that the more experience you have the less time you are on the brakes. What I mean is that you brake harder, but the pads are making contact with the rotor for less time per lap, thus giving more time to cool. The temp will spike and lower faster (Assuming good cooling).

Good luck and let us know what you do and if it works. Otherwise, just bleed at the track and slap the street tires back on.
Old 09-25-2007 | 04:05 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Sure sounds like the MC

Quick Reply: boiled em for the first time, now what?