Sponsored by:

Yokohama ADVAN A048's for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 09:48 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewdr
What about Pirelli Corsa System? I currently have 295's on the rear Carrera S Lobster rims, can i put 305's and would they be good for DE events?

I ran corsas (old style, not the new ones) on DEs and track days. I thought they heated up quicker, or at least weren't as sensitive to having to be quite up to temp as the MPSC. I didn't notice any significant difference in grip. I keep hearing the MPSC are quicker, but that wasn't my experience. However, I had the rears of my C4S separate the belts (kind of a scary sight in the pits!). Pirelli suggests very low (30psi hot) temps, and I wonder if I was actually too low going out cold and damaged the tires.

I now run MPSC after the corsa's changed the tread pattern with much more open space.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:13 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RA-1s:
1. Consistent performance
2. Longevity = $$
3. They can take the toe / camber adjustments better than the others
4. We are always are faster than the cars with MPSCs, Pirelli's and Nitto tires.

5. Waiting for results for the new 888
Old 08-19-2007, 02:18 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

All true, except the Nittos, in my opinion. Nitto is owned by Toyo, and the NT01 is a Toyo RA1 with the shaving already done and a better tread pattern. At least, that's what I've been told. I've got a set of the Nittos on the way. We'll see how they grip and last compared to my recent sets of Toyos.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Cool Another approach...

The Hankook Z 214 tire in the Autocross compound. I have been using their road racing compound. I feel they are as fast as Hoosiers and are about $100 a set cheaper...also the RA-1 tires, on my 993 car, they wear very well and seem to stay sticky right down to the core.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:46 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
I've gone through several sets of the Yokohamas, and never liked them. They're neither a particularly good street tire or a particularly good track tire. And they're loud.

The Toyos (and presumably the Nittos, and we'll see about the newer Toyo R-888) are close to Hoosiers in performance, but have much more consistent handling characteristics over a much longer lifespan. The only odd part is breaking them in, especially unshaved. But then they continue to get better over a very long time, compared to most other R-compound tires.

One potential downside for a 996 is how the RA1's would hold up to the additional weight. I'm able to run them in the mid-to-low 20's, hot, on my car (2500 pounds, 275/315 tires), but that might not work with narrower rubber on a heavier car.

Have you used the A048 or just the A032R? (which was a average DE tire at best)

Cheers
Old 09-16-2007, 01:12 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

I had the A032R, in both hard and soft compounds. I've heard complaints about the A048's from people with lighter cars -- but I haven't any first-hand experience with them. Subaru drivers seem to like the A048's.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:38 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am suffering a similar issue. Toyo does not make the RA1 in a 225/45/17 for the front, so I am having to look at other tires.

When is the new R888 out, or is it in NA now??

Cheers
Old 09-18-2007, 02:44 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

The easy answer is the Nitto NT01. Same compound as the Toyo RA1, but available in more sizes, and it doesn't need shaving. They have a 225/45/17 for 165.00 each at Discount Tire Direct (and that might include shipping).
Old 09-18-2007, 08:13 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I can tell you that the NItto NT01 is a fantastic tire! I have just about 50, yes I said 50, heat cycles and they have just come into their own. They still get to temp consistently, they are NOT hc'd to death and they are just now at the point where they look like a full slick and still have about 2/32" of tread left. I plan on running them one more DE before I toss them. That is what I call getting your money's worth!

FYI......I just ran my fastest time ever at VIR this past weekend at with the NT-01's.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:19 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never heard anything good about the Yokos. I ran the PSCs on my E46M3 and loved them, though I left them home when it was cold or wet (often here in CT / NY) and then ran PS2s. I have the RA1s now on my 997S and don't care for them at all compared with my experience with the PSCs. I suppose I'll give them a little more time -- Only ran them 2 days at The Glen. Problems I found... Extremely sensitive to pressure and once they decide to let go,they just break away (not fun at the top of the Esses). Running the RA1s again Oct. 1 and 2, but this time at Lime Rock -- will see if I warm up to them. My goal in getting the RA1s was to have a "do everything" R-comp. A tire I could use all the time -- cold, wet, and dry...
Old 09-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ron, I like both Yokahama tires, the old 032R and 048R for a transition tire for DE. They give good communication and are very progressive. They may not be the fastest tire, but they work extremely well for an intermediate driver, unlike the MPSC which requires a sensitivity to how the car is reacting in order to stay out of trouble, especially on a lighter car or as you mention when the temps are cooler.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:38 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Good points Geoffrey -- I suppose it all depends on where on the learning curve you are. I've talked to people that had the Yokos and felt they were equivalent to the better street tires in dry grip and inferior in the cold / wet. I think perhaps the age of the PS2, Neova, etc. may have moved these Yokos back a bit. Not talking from experience, but I'm still amazed at how good the PS2s are having put 5 or 6 DEs on them with the 997S.

It's interesting, but perhaps the best all-around R-comp hybrid is the new 19" PSC made for the GT3. It's not a pure PSC because it has better compound for cold / wet and it has more rain channel. The reports I'm hearing is that it is just a notch below the standard PSC in the dry, but a notch above the PS2. But, it's only made in 295/305 18"... I've been curious about that tire and may try a set on my street wheels to find out for myself.

Quick Reply: Yokohama ADVAN A048's for DE?