Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended Instructors for WGI PCA DE's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 03:17 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Instructors for WGI PCA DE's?

After a hiatus from both P-car ownership and DE's for the past 4 years, I recently bought an '83 911 and I'm looking to do some DE's at Watkins Glen. These DE's will only be PCA events. I would like to obtain some names of the better instructors who attend these events. More specifically, "better" being for beginners and advanced beginners. While I've generally been very happy with all my past instructors, it's a bonus to get one of the better or best intructors.

FYI, I'm just a novice and only ran 5 events (in a 951S). I have absolutely no experience with my 911 at track-like conditions and speeds. My goal, interest, and enjoyment is in driving smoothly and consistantly for different track situations. So instructors who are great at communicating the fundementals is better for me than those instructors whose talent resides in finding the next .1 sec for an intermediate or advanced driver. Athough I suspect that there are an elite group of instuctors who can do both equally well!

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Go to a Trackmasters event. About 25% of their instructors are Chief Instructors for somebody else (PCA, BMWCCA, Ferrari, blah blah blah). Cream of the crop.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:10 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trackmasters i great. I agree with the Professor
Old 08-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Trackmasters will teach you the Glen better than anyone.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

I nominate Qwickrick!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I nominate Qwickrick!
Something tells me Quickrick ain't gonna be thrilled you did this.

Prof, Andy, Quickrick,

Trackmasters recommendation noted. What, are the owners of Trackmaster your best friends Seriously, thanks. Actually, I just visited their website. Looks to be $250 ish/day and 2 hrs track time for a beginner or intermediate student. Certainly on the more/most expensive end of the spectrum. Real good deal for those running in the Open Track group though (4hrs/day). Is Jim Tuloch (sp?) still involved w/Trackmasters. Jim did classroom instruction and trackwalks at 2 or 3 of the DE's I did at the Glen and my recollection is that he was either involved with Trackmasters or part of the Trackmasters ownership at that time (earlier 2000's).

Now how about some names. I'll toss one out I had who was tremendous...Ken Gan (Boxster S). One I never had, but spoke with and would like to have is John Hajny (Redline Man, Chief Instructor, 944NA. Another, from my reading his posts plus recommendations others have made, Bob Rouleau (Chief Insructor). Although I have no clue if he instructs for PCA a the Glen.

So come on guys and gals, help me out. Heck, name yourself. Remember, PCA DE's at the Glen.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-15-2007, 11:10 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Mike;

Welcome back. I can vouch for what the Professor says. Trackmasters has a great program, and I have always found it a pleasure to instruct for such a top notch outfit.

EDIT - Last I knew Jim was not involved with T-masters. Maybe he's back again? I also have not done one of their events in a few years. Tony Funicello is the main man. Yes, they are expensive compared to PCA, but also less "variable." Bob Rouleau is mostly found at Tremblant.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:14 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Tony Funicello is the chief instructor. Ken Gan has not been to the track much. Busy building a new company. Peter Swift, Rich DeAsis, Jim *******, Lou Bedstadt, Don Henderson. If you can get with any of these guys you will be fine. All of them are 911 drivers except for Henderson, but Don is a fantastic instructor..

Don
PCA, Trackmasters Instructor.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike S.
Something tells me Quickrick ain't gonna be thrilled you did this.
I'm sure he's thinking of something sweet to whisper to me next time I see him...

Mike - another thing, though not critical, is finding a good instructor that drives your type of car. Though the reality is an excellent instructor is just that, one that knows the nuances of your model can be a great help as you progress. If you are just starting out I wouldn't think it would be of great importance, but as you advance (IMO) it can help..

Dave Bassett, Gary Hanson, Dave Vaccaro, Dan Jacobs (once you get a little experience) are just a few at CVR that are excellent for future reference...
Old 08-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Consider registering for an WGI event with the Genesee Valley Chapter of the BMW CCA (www.gvc-bmwcca.org).

Many of the GVC's instructors (who are also PCA and Trackmasters instructors) have completed an extensive instructor training program designed and administered by Patty Perkins, the Chief Instructor for the GVC, and Tony Funicello, the Chief Instructor for Trackmasters. Jim Tulloch is typically the classroom instructor at GVC WGI events.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:02 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Another nod for Trackamasters. I've been running with them for several years and really enjoy the open track format/schedule. Even one day at TM's student's format is more seat time than any PCA DE's 2/3 day event.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Thanks everyone for the all the names.

Also, I will certainly look into doing a Trackmasters event next year when they offer a novice school (which are done for this year).

Mike
Old 08-17-2007, 05:25 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike S., the guys Don mentioned in post #8 above are local and will most likely be at the Niagara Region DE at WGI on October 15/16. Registration is now open for this event at www.niagarapca.com .

And now for my shameless plug:

Attention instructors - our goal is to have an instructor/student ratio of one to one. Which means we need to have plenty of instructors signed up. Instructors drive FREE, and receive a FREE souvenir (shirt or possibly ball cap) and get to attend our Monday evening Garage Party for FREE (food and OPEN BAR). Did I mention this stuff is all FREE for instructors?

www.niagarapca.com , follow the Driver Education links to sign up.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Mike S.
Pro

shiners780,

Thanks. I have met a couple of them before at club functions (Peter Swift, Jim *******). As of a week ago, only one of the fellas Don mentioned, Rich De Asis, was on the Oct. Niagara Region DE instructors list. I hope your "shameless plug" builds up the instructor list for this event. Actually, that's a great deal for an instructor IMHO...FREE!!! Then again, if they got me as a student, they might be thinkin' "I should be getting paid to teach this guy!"

Mike
Old 08-17-2007, 08:52 PM
the90
Instructor

Craig Horning would be my first choice; he has extensive race experience (IMSA Firehawk champ. in '86 if I remember correctly). Knows the Glen like no one I've ever met and has instructed Peter Swift and Lou Betstadt. Craighorning.net

Quick Reply: Recommended Instructors for WGI PCA DE's?