Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended Instructors for WGI PCA DE's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 12:27 PM
gerry100
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Second on Peter Swift, he instructed my wife last year and I wentr very well. If Jim ******* is who I think he is ( white '85 911) , I've ridden with him and he's good also.

Blake Smith( BMWCCA) is excellent.

Important thing in novice is having someone who is a good teacher not just a good driver and in your case someone familiar with the 911.

Good teachers observe,let you drive the car and work on one or too things at a time, the worst ( in my experience) ,sound like " BRAKE,BRAKE,OFF BRAKE,TURN,GAS,GAS, I SAIDGAS,UNWIND,GAS,BRAKE.....WHENISAYBRAKE.BRAKE!....).

PCA ( and BMWCCA) groups I've been with have matched me with 911 drivers ( the top instructors "know" all the vehicles so it's not an issue with them).

A session with a "BRAKE!Turn!GAS!" guy that ends with "how do I open the door..." is not good.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry100
A session with a "BRAKE!Turn!GAS!" guy that ends with "how do I open the door..." is not good.
That's funny.

FWIW, at my first DE, I decided in my own mind that being a good and desirable student is to be completely passive, listen, and do what the instructor says. I unknowingly forced the poor fella into telling me the most basic information. He must have thought I was about as clueless as they come. My instructor had the patience of a saint that first day. I can only imagine what he may have said to the other instructors about "his" student. And at the end of day one, I was very ambivalent at this point towards this DE event and wasn't sure if I should continue. Luckily, the next day, I decided would stick it out but that I would just drive and be proactive with everything. During the first session, "good's", "that's it", and "yeah's" replaced lots of the "BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE,,,GAS, GAS, GAS" instuctions. After that first session of the second day, my instructor must have had a huge sigh of relief and things became fun for both of us for the rest of the second day. He was then able to do exactly what you mentioned, to have me work on a few items (getting the line down and ridding me of a bad habit I had of occasionally looking down at the shifter when downshifting).

Mike

Quick Reply: Recommended Instructors for WGI PCA DE's?