Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I get started racing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 04:02 PM
171mph
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the 3 day at Laguna too. When were u there? I did the July 6-8 one. I'm doing the Skippy race thing. Lot of good info here, including a forum on this very topic:

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forums/index.php
Old 08-21-2007, 12:02 AM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Changing cars at least for me was about the physical/mechanical difference and confidence. You are very comfortable with your current ride. That can go out the window pretty quick in an old 911 or different car. I really had to learn my new car before my confidence started to come back. Not something you would want to jump into a race and do.

This season I have spent driving a new car(to me) at new and old tracks. Next season I hope to compete in class with a car I'm comfortable racing with. It maybe overly cautious taking this road but I feel I'll be able to drive without as much mental overload.
Keith is taking the same approach I am taking. Driving an F car from a 993TT car is a big adjustment and I have improved my entry speed greatly in the 2 events I've had the car. mv is critical. My hope is to continue to learn the car and prep myself for CR in '08.

It takes awhile to get their entry speed to around 75mph and after a session, they still have a hard time getting comfortable with the faster entry.
As Bob stated - guilty as charged. The TT was a beast to slow and a beast to turn into the bus stop. It took me a few sessions in the F car to increase my entry and exit to about 15-20 mph faster then the TT (and my brain) would allow. Flat from 1 to the bus stop was easier to digest.

When you can run lap times within 6 seconds of pole for your class you're good enough to jump in the pool.
I was thinking about 5 seconds on a big track (VIR/Glen) and 3-4 seconds for a track like SP. Do you race folks agree? I'm not quite there yet (MPSC's not Hoosiers yet) but I'm learning - we are all still getting better, right?

Having been on the track and in the car with you Chris, I think you are on the right track. A lower hp car is a great learning tool and it can be humbling during the learning process. I know you are commited to getting better and you are on the right track. Why wad up a GT-3 when a 44, SM or a G or F car car be just as fun on the track and will be a great aid to learning. If you must race, consider that for the money spent to get your feet wet racing, you might struggle learning a "new" rental car and not really have enjoyed the w/e when it is over. You know I'm heading down the same patch and I think there is a value in learning the car in an envirionment that is not racing. Why not rent a 44 and do a DE w/e? Expensive - yes. Possibly much less ego bruising - yes.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Buy Karl Poetles S2,spend as much as you can on saftey and be careful !
Good Luck.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:34 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris,
Awhile back you were going to call me and I PM'd you my cell number. The offer still stands. I have raced and won in PCA 911s as well as spec miatas and love nothing more in life than the helping others. If you're in black with RTR, you're ready for the next challenge.... just check your ego at the door. You can find as many differing opinions as there are posts here, but put them all together and form your own. Best thing you can do is sample some different forms and don't make any rash decisions. And finally, BUY a race car... don't build one!
Old 08-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Mitch, thanks for talkiing with me!
Old 08-21-2007, 01:22 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anytime. Come watch over Labor Day... you're in for a treat!
Old 08-23-2007, 12:37 AM
gman1868
Instructor

If you race, you must be able to throw away the car. If you can afford to spend $20-$30k on a car, have someone wreck it, and it not be a financial problem for you, then go for it.

Otherwise, consider more carefully than I did. I didn't take seriously the possibility that this could happen to me. It did, now I will probably never race again. For me, that kind of loss is un-acceptable.

Man, I miss my car...
Old 08-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Buy Karl Poetles S2,spend as much as you can on saftey and be careful !
Good Luck.
Great advice, it's just too bad Karl doesn't come with it!
Old 08-23-2007, 12:43 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Think about arrive-and-drive for yr one. Plenty of Porsche tuners are happy to meet you at the track where you can arrive with nomex and helmet and sit down in a prepped and supported racecar. I think more people don't do it because it looks expensive on the surface: an SRF, spec Miata, or skippy car is $2K-3K for a race weekend. My view is that only looks pricey because most of us are in denial about what racing really costs. A truly honest cost accounting would likely show that the premium of an arrive and drive vs a car you own is likely a few hundred $/weekend, well worth the hospitality tent, trackside support and all the planning/logistical hassles.
I'm surprised more people don't do it...
Old 08-23-2007, 12:47 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonH
Think about arrive-and-drive for yr one. Plenty of Porsche tuners are happy to meet you at the track where you can arrive with nomex and helmet and sit down in a prepped and supported racecar. I think more people don't do it because it looks expensive on the surface: an SRF, spec Miata, or skippy car is $2K-3K for a race weekend. My view is that only looks pricey because most of us are in denial about what racing really costs. A truly honest cost accounting would likely show that the premium of an arrive and drive vs a car you own is likely a few hundred $/weekend, well worth the hospitality tent, trackside support and all the planning/logistical hassles.
I'm surprised more people don't do it...
Based on my experience, I agree.

Quick Reply: How do I get started racing?