Sponsored by:

Hoosier R6 lifetime

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 04:36 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=BrianKeithSmith]No wonder I'm slow....[QUOTE]

Riiiggght. I guess I'm going backwards then.

Anyway,

I have had two sets of R6s and I got new best times on each set on HC 14, 15 was ok, and then a big drop off in grip on HC 16, again both sets. Decent rubber left, but no grip. On the first set, I ran them up to 25 HCs and there wasn’t a lot of rubber left at that point, but probably could have made it to 30.

I don’t mind not having the fastest tires, but what I don’t like is their behavior when they fall off, they let go suddenly, almost like they have too much air or I hit a puddle of water, not fun. I had a spin at Summit a few weeks ago and they were at HC 18 and they just felt like they were giving up….usually when I hit the bump in T10, I get the grip back, but not that time.

Both sets of R6s were put away for over 3 weeks after the first HC to cure.

My last three sets of shaved RA-1s were doing the same thing (HC’d out w/ rubber left, sudden breakaway), only at HC 27 or 28.

I was told by a wise man that not all HC are created equal….how many you get will vary depending on driver style (sliding vs. tight), temps reached, HC duration (enduros vs. DE), and probably other stuff. I tend to slide my car a lot, which doesn’t help with longevity, but most of my runs are 30 mins or less.

I need to tighten up on my spending, but damn those Hohos are addicting. I am going to try the BFG R1s next and see if they last any longer w/ the same performance.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:46 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys should also think about how you store your tires. The sun isn't good for them. Being inside a hot trailer or garage isn't good either. Ideally you put them somewhere cool, dark and ozone free. I think a lot of the variation that's discussed here has to do more with handling then anything else.

Anything you can do to slow down the curing process is good. Heat cycles are the fastest way to cure a tire but they also cure sitting in the garage.

Take 'em off. Clean them. Bag them. Put 'em in the basement. If you have a walk-in refrigerator that's even better.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:17 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
. If you have a walk-in refrigerator that's even better.
I would end up with a walk out wife.

Get a light, real low HP car and have them last for half a year or better befor greasing out. Its not the cycles, its the motor
Old 08-02-2007, 05:30 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

It's going to be the next craze in high end living. Out with the wine cellar and in with a tire storage cellar.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:14 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
I would end up with a walk out wife.

Get a light, real low HP car and have them last for half a year or better befor greasing out. Its not the cycles, its the motor
LOL... I've already cut myself down to 101 at the rear wheels... are you saying I'm overpowering my tires???

j/k - some great observations about HC timing and cooldown. Last year, I was able to run them once, then let them sit until my next race weekend 4 weeks later. In fact, IIRC they might have been heat cycled by Tirerack before I even got them. But I want to support my local tire guy. Based on that durability, I was expecting this year's to last all season or close to it... not any more. Now, if only I can set up a plan to get next year's tires to cycle in well... I guess that depends on having any tire at all left over at the end of this year, really...
Old 08-03-2007, 09:19 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

GSR had a good write-up on these tires last year. They ran different tires on the same car with the same set-up on the same track. I thought that was a great way to reduce the variables and show an accurate test. As I remember, Hoosiers were very slightly better on the hottest lap, but kuhmos were were better longer and had the most laps closest to the hottest lap (?, I think that makes sense).
Anyway, anyone else remember that article?
Plus I race GTS in NASA and have won $700 to date in contingency $$, so I/m sold on Kumhos. The only issue I've run in to is availability. The way the contingency $$ works is I get my "Kuhmo money" in the form of a check, call an authorized dealer (ie Tirerack) order tires, and send them my check. Last time the price for 4 new tires, $600!!!
PS, no contingency for spelling
Old 08-04-2007, 01:03 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pat056
No one mentioned Kuhmo's. I use the 710's and find they "go away" much later than Hoosiers. I'll get 6-8 hot laps with Hoosiers and 10-12+ on Kuhmo's. They last at least as many cycles and are $160/set cheaper for me.

I tried the Kumho 710's last weekend at Sebring. Went away much quicker than the Hoosier's. They were every bit as sticky initially but they got pretty greasy after hard afternoon running.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Tires going away factor is not so simple....

a lot depends on the track, the driver's style, the length of the "heat cycle", the condition of the track surface, track temperature, and I am certain lots of other things. Recently, I got 17 heat cycles out of a set of Hankook Z214 tires...then on the next set I got 12. Why??? Who knows......

In the future, I intend to keep better records of tire temps, track conditions, suspension set up, especially negative camber, tire pressures before and after a session....once I have this data I can draw some conclusions. Until then, I am just guessing, and so very thankful to have the problem of tire wear on a 993 car, blessed I am indeed! Maybe you too?

Quick Reply: Hoosier R6 lifetime