Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA - Nord Stern at Brainerd - DE and RACE. Who's Going?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Dakota
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and I are in. DE2..I am running #214 black 997S and my son #814 silver Cayman S. Fast track, great people, and free beer!!
Old 08-01-2007, 06:54 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Vintage 914 racer, it's not too late to get your license with PCA and come play in the other race group also! See you at the track, Ben.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

You are all in Our thoughts and prayers for what Your region is going through right now...
GodSpeed to the families and victims of the bridge collapse.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Astro0boy
Instructor

Thanks.
So far, everyone in my family and circle are safe and accounted for.
I know others aren't as lucky.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:48 AM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Just got back to Denver after a great weekend and a long drive home. The weather was perfect (Northern MN is the perfect location for an August race), racing was good, incident level was low, and I think a fair amount of money was raised once again for a great charity.

It's too bad that BIR is a bit of a hike for a lot of racers. It's a fun track and the camaraderie is hard to beat. There was loads of track time, a 1 hr enduro, 30 minute sprint, plus the "Loonacy" race (I call it the silly backwards race and would much rather have a second regular sprint race)

I think the actual E class track record was set by Ron S in about '99 at 1:51.3. Hope to get there next year.
Joe

Last edited by JR944; 06-02-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

I also ran at the Nord Stern Loonacy Club Race at Brainerd. It was my 15th year at this race. The racing was great even though we had to put our car on the trailer Saturday night.

This year the local vintage club ran a separate race session, with a couple of PCA club racers joining in. I got to run with them on the Friday sessions in our '73 RS replica and it was a hoot racing them. Some interesting hardware including a 250 SWB Ferrari. Kind of interesting sharing the track with a car that's worth somewhere north of $2.5 Million.

This was the first year that the local vintage group was invited to the event by Nord Stern region. The vintage guys are going to be back next year and promise to get even more interesting cars out next year. The PCA club racers got a ton of track time and everyone went home with a smile on their face. The incident rate was indeed low, no incidents resulting in a 13/13 as the one minor car to car was a mechanical.

John Crosby, the steward, and his wife, Cathy, the timing tech, stayed over on Sunday night and were able to get out on a boat on Gull Lake followed by a dinner at one of the local restaurants on the water. Both John and Cathy commented how this race would be an ideal race for someone with a family who wants to spend some time fishing/boating/swimming/golfing along with a great club race. Yes, it's a tow to Brainerd, but it's worth it!
Old 08-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

... For those of you that want a look at the track...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDBVcmq61cE

I had a great start in the sprint race on Sunday at BIR. Unfortunately, I got my tires too hot and lost most of the spots I gained and a little more.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:49 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I too was up there last weekend. DE only. Always a good time.

I also posted some video on other boards (as some of you may have already seen):

Loonacy DE - Video 1

Loonacy DE with spin - Video 2

...and I'm not too proud to say that I'm always looking for tips and feedback on my line from you more experienced drivers.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:34 PM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

J-rad:

Not too bad, just a couple remarks.

1- The apex at T3 is not optional. You're pushing pretty badly trying to apply power through the corner. You probably need to brake a little farther into the corner, do a lot of turning early so you can unwind the wheel and add throttle as you drive through and out of the turn.

2- You would do well to move your apex of T4 a bit later. You should only need to exit T4 about 2/3 of the way across the track.

Joe
Old 08-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

I agree with Joe's comments.

I'd also suggest you are turning in a bit early everywhere except turns 4 and 7.

Nice smooth hands and inputs to the car.

If I have the signal orange RS at Last Fling in September, grab a ride with me.

Quick Reply: PCA - Nord Stern at Brainerd - DE and RACE. Who's Going?