Sponsored by:

Photos of Trailer Tire Racks Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Photos of Trailer Tire Racks Please

So after 7 years of track driving, I have broken down and purchased a new open Motiv Aluminum Trailer and yet another vehicle to tow it (Used GMC Pickup).
The only issue is that I don't like the tire racks that Motiv sells as optional, as a friend bought one and it needed to be rewelded to get the wheels to properly fit. As such, I was planning to have an aluminum welding shop weld together a custom one.
I would appreciate it if you guys could post photos of your tire racks that you have on your open trailers to give me some ideas of what I should request. The trailer is 18' long so length is not an issue and I realistically never expect to haul more than 8 wheels.

Many thanks,
Old 07-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the best I have from my old trailer. It held an extra set of wheels and a spare trailer tire. Easy access and it locked. When you have the rack fabricated, you need to specify the tire diameter to ensure proper fit.
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2007, 02:54 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were to add a traditional tire rack I would have the rack made up using bolt together extrusions Trailex style over welding it up. As the years and cars go by you will be glad that you can reconfigure the rack front to back and up and down to suit the tires and cars. Run with the tires as low as you can the wind resistance from a wall of tires adds up fast.

Tony Ks setup might be one to look at and mod to suit your needs. It is a welded up steel frame with Al skin on the front but could be made from Al as well.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Here a couple I found on the web and posted in another trailer tire rack thread.

Marc
Attached Images   
Old 07-27-2007, 03:23 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

This lower photo with the enclosed storage looks like a real good way to go about it.
One thing I would keep in mind is that many open trailers can fit into a garage; I used to load my track car on my Trailex and garage both for the winter.
It was a tight fit, but very handy. If possible, create a rack that allows you to keep the trailer in the garage (even if you don't plan to).
Old 07-27-2007, 03:32 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not trying to talk you out of doing what you propose but why don't you just throw the tires in the back of the P/U ?
Old 07-27-2007, 04:47 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
I'm not trying to talk you out of doing what you propose but why don't you just throw the tires in the back of the P/U ?

Space... He might want to use that for other stuff.

I really hated putting tires in the bed. Much much easier on the tire rack.

My rack was added on to the frame work of my old untility trailer. Heck this is a 20 year old trailer now that I think about it.

Any way it works great for 8 225/50 R15 Tires. It would not quite fit larger tires, but that is just fine for what I used.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:04 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just stack mine on the floor on their side with a piece of PVC pipe down the center. Then strap them to the wall e-track. I did not want to be lifting them up to a tire rack and it was cheep.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:19 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are some of mine. I would think about making it as low as possible for less wind resistance as suggested (if I had to do it over again). I can really tell the difference in MPG with and without tires.

Mine is also short enough to fit in the garage.
Attached Images      
Old 07-27-2007, 09:43 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Noel,
Here's what I did. I wanted to be able to haul tires/wheels on top/bottom & still have a tool box. This allowed me to take rains & a new set up top with another set of scrubs down below if I was going to a long event. You can never have enough rubber, right

Old 07-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks much for posting these, this gives me lots of ideas. Keep them coming please.

I had considered carring them in the bed of the new truck, but I got a non-extended cab since I got a deal on it so I may need the bed for other stuff. Good suggestion though.

Last edited by Noel; 07-28-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:53 AM
v12man
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would make it removable (on wheels) so you can move the tires to your car easily (maybe toolbox too)

This may be a local thing to me - we have to keep trailers out of the pits, so they are parked a fair way away (pita) and a mobile tire rack (like at F1) seems to be the solution to me.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:06 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

I would make it removable (on wheels) so you can move the tires to your car easily (maybe toolbox too)
This is a very good point. We have tire racks on casters that we haul in our big trailer & they are very handy. We load them up with wheels/tires & tow behind the golf cart for mounting/dismounting stuff @ the track. You could probably come up with a rack that has removable pins so you could fix it in place during transport & roll it off @ the track.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:43 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Noel, congrats on your purchase of tow vehicle and trailer!
About time........
Old 07-29-2007, 12:33 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Mine was designed to put moveable dollie wheels in at the track. I've since sold and moved on to enclosed.

And I pulled with a full size Diesel van so no there was no aerodynamic loses with the front guards. (Front Diamond plate weighed about 70 pounds but it was shiney )

Last edited by f1rocks; 01-15-2008 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Photos of Trailer Tire Racks Please