Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Photos of Trailer Tire Racks Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

F1, thanks for posting. I like this design. I imagine that if you made it to facilatate the use of a center rod, it would be easy to secure your wheels.

Boston, I know, I know.... My car was not getting any younger and with my planned trip to Mid-Ohio next spring and a few trips to the Glen, it now made sense.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:02 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a stainless steel coated cable through the center of the wheels for security with locks on both ends. Didn't like the idea of a rod that could bugger up the inside of the wheels if they get to bouncing....
Old 07-30-2007, 11:25 PM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my low profile solution. With the tires mounted on the side of the trailer there is very little additional wind resistance. You can really feel those high tire tracks while towing. If someone is interested in a set let me know, I designed them and had them fabricated out of 6061 aluminum.
Attached Images     
Old 07-30-2007, 11:35 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Smart. You can get them from Trailex too but I bet not as well made. Use locking lug nuts on each to retain.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:12 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

David, great idea, I have never seen that before.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:47 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Noel, that is the method I plan to use when I need more space than the PU bed will provide. Already made up the mounts some time ago but have not needed to take more than one set of spare tires. Come time to race the project car and the need for wets comes up I will start side mounting. My used Trailex came with a front mount tire rack and I sold it right away. I used the rack to take my second set and a set I was mule packing for someone else on the way out to Mid Ohio. I had sold the rack to someone that lived near MO and she was at the event so we pre planned the sale. I could truly feel the rack not there on the way back. Same pile of stuff, tires and all just not formatted into a wall in the wind.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:19 AM
David K.
Pro

Originally Posted by kurt M
Smart. You can get them from Trailex too but I bet not as well made. Use locking lug nuts on each to retain.
You can not us the Trailex spare tire mounts because the offset is wrong, their only setup for a 6” wide rim and narrow tire.
The stubs have the wrong bolt circle, size and only 2 stubs which break. I add a 3rd bolt to my spare tire mount after I had one break twice.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Good point. Perhaps not as built but they are very easy to change to suit your needs.

I saw a setup where the owner added longer studs in the right places to the stock mount and the back of the larger and deeper than a stock trailer tire snugged down tight to the trailer frame and this made for a snug, vibration free and solid mount. The two bolts at 12 and 5 o-clock used were enough to prevent the tire from vibrating as the back of the tire was pressed to the trailer frame. 3 would be better for sure as triangles are always good things. It is unchecked vibration that makes the mounts fail. In fact if you want to go super simple and inexpensive just install 2 or 3 long T bolts in the slots and bolt the wheels directly without need for a mount. Slide the T bolts back and forth untill you hit 3 points and lock them in place with a nut. This will let you reconfigure as needed to fit whatever size tire wheel combo and offset you might have.

Can't is 4 letter word.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:51 AM
David K.
Pro

Originally Posted by kurt M
Can't is 4 letter word.
You CAN do what ever you’re comfortable with, but as a mechanical engineer I like to over build things for safety.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:37 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

At the Putnam Club race there was a guy with a yellow Turbo that had a amazing tire rack . Curved with yellow PORSCHE letters double decker !
Old 07-31-2007, 10:45 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is mine. The PO built it. The cross pieces are two of the uprights from Trailex. It was designed to hold 2 sets of 8's and 9's. I like that it is not as tall as some racks, makes it easier to load/unload.
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2007, 02:10 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've now got an enclosed v-nose trailer (picture at the bottom) - I'm thinking the perfect spot is in the V-nose, as I have a worktable there, but it is 4 feet high and has plenty of space for my extra set of wheels. This would mean a stack of wheels - is there a problem with stacking wheels, as in is it bad for the tires/wheels in some way to be stored like that?

In addition, I'd LOVE some ideas for securing them. I was thinking of a threaded pole down the middle, but with the work table there, I can't get a pole in. Another option is to create threaded smaller poles at 4 and 8 o'clock, installing them after the tires are in place. Another option I thought of is to get a sheet of plastic, put it in front of the tire stack, then secure that with a ratchet strap which connects to eyelets on the frame of the trailer.

Ideas?

Old 09-21-2007, 02:38 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

what if you use the bench top like a normal rack? line up the wheels side by side and run a strong ratchet strap through the center (like the straight bar would do on an open trailer tire rack). If you get two pieces of e-track you can mount one to each V wall and tie down to that. Other than the e-track you would need to add a surface for the tires to push against since you have a v-nose.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:02 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then I lose the benchtop, and it has a T-shape support, so there is a bar in the middle - the bar goes across the width of the trailer, and another from the cross beam to the front, if that makes sense.

Is there something wrong with stacking them - is it in some way verboten?
Old 09-21-2007, 04:03 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Not sure I understand. Are you stacking on the bench or in front of the bench in the V-nose?

I assumed you were stacking them on top of the bench and thought maybe sideways mounting was easier to do and required little effort to set up.

There's nothing wrong with stacking on their side. It's probably the best way to store a set of tires anyway.

Quick Reply: Photos of Trailer Tire Racks Please