Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to buy this type of gold foil thermal tape?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 06:19 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Foils only really work for shielding radiant heat; yes they will provide some insulation from convection but nothing close to that of a blanket or wrap type of barrier.

That being said, I just added some of the gold foil sold by CDOC (a Rennlist site sponsor) to the areas of my engine bay (951) that will be in close direct view of the exhaust system. This is in an effort to keep the radiant heat from heating up my floor boards, caster blocks, master cylinder, etc... To reduce the heat output into the engine bay, the exhaust will be wrapped with the braided type exhaust wrap and the turbine is going to get one of those pre made blankets. Instead of reflecting radiant like the foils, these items will contain the heat and reduce the convection heat transfer to other items in the engine bay.

In conclusion
-Foils block radiant heat; apply them the items you want to keep cool that are in sight of parts emitting radiant energy (exhaust, turbine).
-Cloth wraps & blankets reduce transmission of heat via convection, apply to parts giving off heat or parts you want to insulate from being heated by hot air.

Disclaimer:
I could be totally wrong.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:46 PM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An Example

Here is an example of proper use.

I got mine from http://www.crracing.com/
Old 07-27-2007, 08:36 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by daigo

That is exactly where I was planning on putting some. Is that the same type of foil CDOC sells?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:01 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what mine looks like with the gold heat barrier... the second picture is of another gentlemans car that is active on pelicanparts and I think on here as well.... I hope he doesn't mind me posting the picture....

I bought mine from http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product
Old 07-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts

It would be interesting to know what the temperature difference is before and after the application inside the cabin. Anyone measure it?
Old 07-29-2007, 11:51 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone tried ceramic coating intakes, throttle bodies or maf's? Did this on a C5 Corvette, worked quite well and will last forever. Not the aluminized silver paint but real plasma applied ceramic material. This material performs very well as compared to wraps etc. and no problems with moisture. Once you get any moisture into a wrap or porous insulating material they no longer insulate or not nearly as well. One little known fact, this stuff can be used on the new high temp plastics used in intakes etc.

I did my exhaust manifolds (GT3) 3 years ago and still look like the day I did them. Porsche used to use this material on the inside of the intake manifolds in the areas near exhaust valves. I've been tempted to do the intake but haven't had the opportunity.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:25 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by daigo

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've got some gold foil leftover and I have some electrical boxes behind a false firewall I'd like to protect from radiant heat. Is there a reason it was put on the false firewall and not on the brake fluid reservoir itself? I.e. should I put it on the electrical boxes themselves or the false firewall in front of them?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

If you want the best foil, get Sheldahl. If you want something even better, gold plate.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:21 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

foil on the airbox, thermal blankets on the exhaust

Years ago on the turbo cars, we used inconel header 'bags' to reject heat. Same type of bags covered the turbo hot side.

Some cars had enough under bodywork airflow eliminating the need for much
Old 09-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
foil on the airbox, thermal blankets on the exhaust

Years ago on the turbo cars, we used inconel header 'bags' to reject heat. Same type of bags covered the turbo hot side.

Some cars had enough under bodywork airflow eliminating the need for much

Oh good God. I think I just came twice.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-15-2009, 12:05 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

think of all the trouble you could have avoided with your avatars...
Old 09-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
think of all the trouble you could have avoided with your avatars...
Where's the fun in that? Conform and be dull.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Chris,

I'm surprised you guys went back to a soft blanket on the new car. In my experience they don't last as long as the foil ones do, especially if they get oil spilled on them. Of course the operating conditions and life of a race engine is very different than the turbines I work on... I like the color coded adjustment shims, I used the same idea on the uprights I designed for our FSAE car back in college.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:48 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

We went away from the press molded inconel simply due to cost. The thermal blankets were a factor of ten less expensive And yes, even when sewn with Kevlar thread, they still dont last that long, much less stay pretty.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
We went away from the press molded inconel simply due to cost. The thermal blankets were a factor of ten less expensive And yes, even when sewn with Kevlar thread, they still dont last that long, much less stay pretty.
The funny thing is that we spend a lot of time and money designing the blankets for a good fit, getting them made, and installing them - then a bunch of our customers remove them for maintenance and never put them back on! Maybe the guys at Thermal Structures will give you a price break if you put their stickers on your cars, isn't that how it works

Quick Reply: Where to buy this type of gold foil thermal tape?