Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HANS...no longer approved for NASACAR & Grand AM??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AW
I love my HANS. I don't understand why the market would need anything else.
There are known shortcomings of the HANS (and every H&N restraint on the market)...do you really believe there's no reason to strive to create a better device? A lot of people love their 997's...should Porsche stop development and never make anything any better?
Old 07-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
The Hutchens trussed you up like a pig at a barbeque. Didn't attach to the harness, but it did run straps thru your 'nasty bits'. In many post-crash medical reports, the words '******** damage' were used. Really.

Oh, yeah...sign me up....
"Sir, the good news is that it appears as though our device did aid in restricting the movement of your head...the bad news is that you now have a new set of oddly shaped tonsils".

Originally Posted by AW
The text is misleading. It means "we can now be the alternative to the HANS".

I love my HANS. I don't understand why the market would need anything else.

AW
I can't say that I agree with that statement even though I am a happy HANS owner today...I sincerely hope that there continues to be good research, testing & market competition for safety products. Market competition will drive both product research/development and competitive pricing.

Cheers,

Rick
Old 07-23-2007, 10:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
I think Hutchens and HANS are two different creatures.
I don't think SFI would agree.
BTW, which Hutchens? There have been quite a few variants over the course of the product cycle.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:05 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Professor, I seemed to remember some of the "1st gen" ones tied into the shoulder or leg restraints, but it was so long ago and such a piece of C _ _ P, I don't really remember the details. You might be right about it not tying into the restraints. I do remember a bunch of secondary injuries including the one you mention.

As a side note, if you boys are driving your car on track with only a five-point system versus six I'd think again. Similar injuries and surgeries to repair said damage by a single submarine strap have been documented. If you don't want to invest in a new harness than wear a cup! The future children's lives you save may be yours!

Jim P.

Quick Reply: HANS...no longer approved for NASACAR & Grand AM??