Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Best restaurant near Watkins Glen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 02:10 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Thanks Qrick. i always think the station is called Capt Bills, but of course, that's the silly dinner boat.

We go to the dive bar at the Marina next to the station and across from that motel construction site. They have outside seating on the lake, really cheap Genny cream ales (my rochester roots are hard to shake) and ok bar sandwiches.

and +1 for the wild flower roosterfish IPA
Old 07-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
...and +1 for the wild flower roosterfish IPA

FINALLY, someone with good taste.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:27 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I guess great food is like great driving..... very subjective......
Old 07-20-2007, 08:06 PM
catchacab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Chef's?
Old 07-20-2007, 08:06 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hardees.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

There's a great Walmart superstore with a McDonald's inside
Old 07-20-2007, 09:31 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by catchacab
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Chef's?
Because anyone who's been there and drank the water.............is no longer alive.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mhm993
We go to the dive bar at the Marina next to the station and across from that motel construction site. They have outside seating on the lake, really cheap Genny cream ales (my rochester roots are hard to shake) and ok bar sandwiches.
We just discovered the Tiki Bar at the Marina when we were at the PCA Potomac event the beginning of July. We'll be back!!

Old 07-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Blue Ribbon Diner is on Route 14 near the light at Montour Falls. It opens at 6:00 AM.
People at the Walmart superstore at night look like the cast of "Deliverance"
Old 07-20-2007, 11:01 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

renn, I think you mean the Tiki bar is the dive up the lake a couple miles on the west side. I mean the dive at the end of the lake, near the railroad tracks and capt bills.

For breakfast, besides the donut place and blue ribbon, we found a bakery with decent fixings, eggs and coffees on the west side of the 14, , where the road up the hill toward the go-cart place splits off. It's some franchise, but I forget the name. Good pastries and bread.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Time to consider again . . . there next week

Looking for your recommendation for the best restaurant in the area. Local food, interestingly prepared, and a good selection of wines are what I look for. No need for white tablecloths or fawning service, it's the food and drink that I'm looking for (as long as the service is competent and the room attractive).

Here's what I've compiled over the last four years:
  • Seneca Lodge--best steak in the area with a simple but good salad bar and a wonderful (destination!) bar. Don't miss the bar. Really, even if you don't drink, don't miss the bar. Take a nickel for the player piano and soak in the history of the early races at the Glen.
  • Madderlake Cafe--the best food in the area, just what I look for, but it's about 30 minutes north on Rt. 14. The food is first rate and the service is intelligent. The local wines are good, but the non-local wines are better. This is where I would take a wife or girlfriend for a pleasant meal. Careful, Rt. 14 is a 55 MPH road so watch your speed home.
  • Stone Cat Cafe--good food and reasonable service with a wonderful view of sunset over Seneca Lake. Not as good as Madderlake Cafe for food, but better for a larger group and much closer. I'll go back.
  • Red Newt--spotty service and food. When it's good, it is about as good as the Stone Cat Cafe and when it's off it's very off. Too pricey for the uncertaintly.
  • Wildflower Cafe--brewpub beer that is very good and excellent burgers. A favorite for a casual dinner.
  • Montage--located at the Glen Motor Inn with a view to the east over Seneca Lake it's close. The food is nothing to write home about, but it's competently prepared and served. It is convenient, especially if you are at the Inn.
  • Geneva on the Lake--if you NEED a white table cloth and formal service, go there; otherwise don't bother. Try the Madderlake Cafe instead.
  • Mr. Chicken--A wonderful, local lunch alternative to chain fast food. Try it at least once, and consider the Speedy and the chicken pot pies. Excellent fries. Cannot recommend fried food more than once in a weekend, though. I might eat it, but cannot recommend it.
  • Jerlando--never tired it (why eat Italian away from Philadelphia?), but is reported to be good to average.
  • Blue Ribbon Diner--open at 6 AM for breakfast.
  • Savard's--simple, quick breakfast food with plenty of parking. Where I go for breakfast, when I eat it there.
  • Curly's--another breakfast place, but smaller and seemed slower than Savard's. Give it a try if you have the time.
  • Castel Grisch Winery & Restaurant--never tried it, but panned in this thread.
  • House of Hong--if you need Chinese food, this is as close as it gets. Works well for a larger group.
  • Moosewood Restaurant--good cookbook from the '70s, but it's a haul into Inthaca for a restaurant that does not take reservations.
  • London Grill--if you're staying in Corning, give it a go. Friendly service and very good traditional foods.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

we went here in corning during the club race and it was really good

http://www.threebirdsrestaurant.com/
Old 07-22-2008, 08:00 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

I don't see Bianco's on the list. Good food and service, located on 4th Street. (I didn't read the whole thread, so not sure if it has been mentioned already.)

I wouldn't consider it the "best restaurant in the area", but then again Mr. Chicken is on the list so.....
Old 07-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Tim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jerlando--
Jerlando about as far from Italian as you can get... A few years ago one of the people I was with ordered Chicken Parm (not real Italian anyway) from Jerlandos, and they asked if she wanted BBQ sauce on the chicken!!! needless to say we got a good chuckle out of that.

In Corning there is an Irish pubby place that is really pretty good.... forgot the name though
Old 07-22-2008, 10:17 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

the answer is :RED NEWT.

Tell Debra that I sent you.

Fred Pack

Quick Reply: OT: Best restaurant near Watkins Glen?