Sponsored by:

Stolen 930 Track Car at LCMT

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 09:39 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CWay27
Arnie, don't get me wrong but Linc's lost has nothing to do with what you've just stated. First of all Montreal's recent car stealing spree (total of 20 cars got stolen) is one isolated case and the city is no where near being at the top of stolen-car capitol (L.A. with 73 000 cars last year). So lets not get carried away.

Stealing a 87 930 track car is not what the Hells Angels are after and it's not like their's a big market for track cars. The hells like to be discrete in their business and are after mass production cars(like the jeep grand cherokee a couple of years ago getting shipped to middle East). Not to be mistaken with the movie "gone in 60 seconds".
Alas, this is NOT a new issue. This has been going on for a long time (years). If you don't believe me, just talk to your local RCMP up there about Hells Angels and their connection to the mob. What is new is that it could be migrating north into LCMT which is very discouraging. The reason I say this is that the modus operendi of Linc's loss mimics what has been going on for a long time. The enclosed trailer, parking lot of hotel, etc., etc.

Someone mentioned posting the VIN. Great idea! Unfortunately, the VIN has most likely been changed by now.

The recent spree of which you speak has nothing to do with what I was describing. The Hells Angels are after specialty, one-of-a-kind cars. I iterate, talk to the RCMP to get the real skinny. It's a real bummer.

We are very familar with LCMT, as we were the ones who ran this particular LCMP event. We love the track and encourage everyone to head up there, because it is such a wonderful combination of track and resort venues, discountting, of course, the ownership of the track and his unique approach. Those who have driven there will know what we mean.

The combination of the PCA LCMT track event is unique with its tying in to the International Blues Festival with all its free musical offerings.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Really sorry to hear about it. As stated before, it was stolen by somebody who knew what they were after. They had to be at the track and probably paid close attention to the car. Most thefts I have heard of involve trucks and trailers.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that is shocking. Did it happen in the infield or the paddock? There were a few drivers that camped next to the paddock during the DE. They kept an eye on the trailers. Everyone that was leaving on Thursday morning had to move their trailers off the paddock and across the track and onto the infield Wednesday night. This was to clear the paddock for a vintage race the next day.

I bet all the trouble occured in the infield early Thursday morning.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dudley
Wow, that is shocking. Did it happen in the infield or the paddock? There were a few drivers that camped next to the paddock during the DE. They kept an eye on the trailers. Everyone that was leaving on Thursday morning had to move their trailers off the paddock and across the track and onto the infield Wednesday night. This was to clear the paddock for a vintage race the next day.

I bet all the trouble occured in the infield early Thursday morning.
BMW helmet theft must have happened in P6, overnight wed..
The car was stolen from the Comfort Inn ( near St. Jovite , 10 miles from the track, on the main highway to Mtl.) on Thurs. morning, I guess.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The Montreal area is terrible for theives.

You should cross post this on every Automotive Board you can find. Your car is too unique, it will turn up.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:10 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
Alas, this is NOT a new issue. This has been going on for a long time (years). If you don't believe me, just talk to your local RCMP up there about Hells Angels and their connection to the mob. What is new is that it could be migrating north into LCMT which is very discouraging. The reason I say this is that the modus operendi of Linc's loss mimics what has been going on for a long time. The enclosed trailer, parking lot of hotel, etc., etc.

Someone mentioned posting the VIN. Great idea! Unfortunately, the VIN has most likely been changed by now.

The recent spree of which you speak has nothing to do with what I was describing. The Hells Angels are after specialty, one-of-a-kind cars. I iterate, talk to the RCMP to get the real skinny. It's a real bummer.

We are very familar with LCMT, as we were the ones who ran this particular LCMP event. We love the track and encourage everyone to head up there, because it is such a wonderful combination of track and resort venues, discountting, of course, the ownership of the track and his unique approach. Those who have driven there will know what we mean.

The combination of the PCA LCMT track event is unique with its tying in to the International Blues Festival with all its free musical offerings.
Arnie, I am not quite sure what your point is or how it helps the situation.....

Linc, I am very sorry for your loss.......
Old 07-14-2007, 11:25 PM
cupcar86
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the CVR event at MT last year one of our long time members had his (very nice) tow vehicle stolen from right outside his hotel room. This despite the fact that the key needs to have the correct chip embedded to even start the truck. Luckily it turned up abandoned in a Montreal parking lot before we needed to trailer back down. Kind of freaked everyone out, MT seems like Disneyworld when you are up there, the kind of place where you let your guard down. Best wishes for your 930, the more people that know about it the more likely it is to be found.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Guns951
Race Car

I'm so sorry to hear this, I just posted a link to this in the 951 forum - those guys can find anything if it starts to get parted online. They helped one guy get his 951 back (in pieces but he got it back).

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/365114-black-930-stolen-from-trailer-help-please.html
Old 07-14-2007, 11:55 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cupcar86
tow vehicle stolen from right outside his hotel room
I think you are talking about Mr. F.( the owner of "The Brick") . He told me that the truck was stolen from the large free parking lot at "Disneyworld" , which is where most truck- trailer thefts happen. He said it would not fit in the underground parking at the hotel.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:06 AM
cupcar86
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike K.
I think you are talking about Mr. F.( the owner of "The Brick") . He told me that the truck was stolen from the large free parking lot at "Disneyworld" , which is where most truck- trailer thefts happen. He said it would not fit in the underground parking at the hotel.
Exactly, call me naive but the place is so beautiful that thefts never crossed my mind at least.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Bloody shame....

I am thinking of having "Leroy's Dead Animal Removal Service" stencils made up for my trailer...In addition, putting on some Bio-Hazard stickers.

One of the near track hotels where I stay has a security guy patrolling the parking lot all night long. I would never put anything like Porsche Racing on the side of my trailer...it is almost an invitation to the thieves.

I have the alarm on on the car while it is parked in the trailer.

I do hope you recover your "Baby"!
Old 07-15-2007, 12:40 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Bump - stick....

John D.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:37 AM
Dynarace
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your support - what a great community. Feel free to pass the word on to other resources as you see fit.

The VIN is posted in the original description at the start of the thread.

As noted, this happened in broad daylight Thursday at a motel, not at LCMT. We'd been asked to clear our trailers out of LCMT Wednesday night, and I was about to then head over to Calabogie. Needless to say I didn't feel like instructing at that point and just came home.

Nice to hear from you Arnie - hope all's well, and thank you so for your thoughts. I was well aware of the "Brick's" tow vehicle theft last summer and didn't want to leave my rig in that storage lot for that very reason.

I will call in regularly to the MT police. Can I assume that U.S. Customs knows about this theft or do I need to try to push U.S. officials as well?
Old 07-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cupcar86
Exactly, call me naive but the place is so beautiful that thefts never crossed my mind at least.
+1
Old 07-15-2007, 10:24 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynarace
Nice to hear from you Arnie - hope all's well, and thank you so for your thoughts. I was well aware of the "Brick's" tow vehicle theft last summer and didn't want to leave my rig in that storage lot for that very reason.

I will call in regularly to the MT police. Can I assume that U.S. Customs knows about this theft or do I need to try to push U.S. officials as well?
Linc,

It certainly doesn't hurt to talk to US Customs, but from what we know, these cars were shipped overseas in containers, not into the US. If our information still serves us correctly, the RCMP had a special investigation unit trying to deal with this problem.

Some of the most unique cars stolen were kept for toys by various head honchos of the Hells Angels and other nefarious groups. Certain things were changed almost instantly such as VINs, colors, etc.

That said, still keep after the RCMP, as once in a while, these cars are recovered after a long period. We will try to get information on how to offer a "finders fee" but are not sure if that information is still available. The fee was rather high and was not covered by insurance. In fact, the insurance companies, for obvious reasons, discourage it.

Quick Reply: Stolen 930 Track Car at LCMT