Sponsored by:

Millville NJ update

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Millville NJ update

We had Joe Volpe from NJ Motorsports Park, aka ThunderBolt Raceway speak to our Delaware region PCA meeting the other night. He spoke about the progress of the racetrack in Millville and I wanted to post some updates before I forgot what he said. All of this stuff is, of course, subject to change, and any mistakes are probably due to my aging brain, not Joe.

That said, the track has been actually under construction for the last month or two. We saw pics from June of the earth moving equipment hard at work. They have at least 10 "pan" units (whatever they are) working all day long moving dirt around. Their expected timeline for opening is June/July 2008. There won't be the 4 mile track they originally envisioned. Instead there will be two tracks, Lighting and ThunderBolt. One of the tracks - I don't remember which one - is 2.5 miles and the other looks about the same or a little smaller. There are no plans to connect them to create the super course. They plan to have an official "ground-breaking" ceremony sometime in September and folks will be invited to tour the site. I asked about the paving, whether they would give it time to cure like VIR did. They plan to lay asphalt in Oct/Nov on one of the tracks and let it sit until June. The other track is scheduled for paving in Feb, with cars on it in July. When asked about the width, Joe said 30-40 ft, he wasn't sure, but at least as wide as VIR.

Surprisingly, at least to me who thought the Pine Barrens was flat, there is a good bit of elevation change on the site. And they are increasing it through the earth moving process. Plus they are putting some big camber in some turns. One turn called the LightBulb, a long sweeper will have at least 5 degrees of banking.

There will be a karting track with 8 different circuits, including a 1/2 mile oval for your NASCAR fans. The track will also renting karts and are talking to different karting series for race events and schools.

They've sold 25 of the on track villas at 400-450K each. There will be garage/hospitality suites ala VIR along the front straight. Plus garages at the track renting for $200/month. Private shuttle from the adjoining airport for folks who fly in.

They're planning a couple of weekend pro races a year, they are talking to GrandAm, AMA Superbike and other series,but the majority of days will be for club events. They have a driver's club like VIR, and the other "country-club" tracks. If I remember right, it's $5K for the initial fee, with $200/month dues (for those 100 miles or closer). Each member track day there is an additional $150 "pavement fee" per day. Plus recipicoal rights with VIR. For those not joining I'm sure there will be plenty of club track days to choose from.

I'm excited and looking forward to the track.

Last edited by Cris Brady; 07-13-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:24 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lime Rock should be watching this very closely. A brand new facility, bigger track(s), 95% cheaper membership, 65% cheaper monthly fee, same distance from NYC.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:31 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the update Cris. I agree. Exciting.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:33 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

That's great news. I did some searching but I don't see anywhere whether it can be rented by clubs. Anybody know?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

That's great news. I did some searching but I don't see anywhere whether it can be rented by clubs. Anybody know?
They're just now starting to formulate their schedules. Don't worry, all the clubs have been talking to them about dates. We (the Delaware and Chesapeake regions) have had a request for dates in since last year. SCCA DC/NJ/PA regions, PCA NNJR, Reisentoter, JSR, Shattenbaum all have been knocking on their door. All the clubs see that this is going to be a success and want to be part of it.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:42 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm anxiously awaiting the opening of the kart track at the facility.
May actually be able to bring down both the Cup car and my son's Jr Rotax kart....that would be fun.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just spoke with Joe today and he said the website and marketing materials are being updated to reflect the change in the plans for the tracks. I'm sorry to hear that there will be no plans for a full 4 mile "Thunderbolt" course.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Cris Brady
There won't be the 4 mile track they originally envisioned. Instead there will be two tracks, Lighting and ThunderBolt. One of the tracks - I don't remember which one - is 2.5 miles and the other looks about the same or a little smaller. There are no plans to connect them to create the super course.
I wonder why they would not connect the two tracks as they did at VIR. It seems to me that the two could be run separately, or together, and that just allows more flexibility. Even if the two tracks are not connected at first, wouldn't you plan to allow them to be connected later, maybe when there was funding for the additional asphalt?
Old 07-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Mike Frye
Craic Head
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Cris,

Thanks for this update. This is right in my backyard!!

I can't wait. $200 per month for a garage is barely more than the cost of a large storage unit. That's awesome.

Let's hope there are no typical New Jersey 'issues'. This state is notorious for good ideas picking up baggage and delays for permits and every other thing you can think of. If there's money in it, everyone wants a piece.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
I wonder why they would not connect the two tracks as they did at VIR. It seems to me that the two could be run separately, or together, and that just allows more flexibility. Even if the two tracks are not connected at first, wouldn't you plan to allow them to be connected later, maybe when there was funding for the additional asphalt?
I think it is clear that they don't want to be faced with renting the entire place to one group. They can insure that they will always have the opportunity to host two orgs, or double the number of members accommodated on member days if they always are operating two tracks. It is all about selling more memberships....
Old 07-19-2007, 11:27 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 489 Posts

I agree with Bull. I think they saw the writing on the wall (in dollar signs) and decided not to even deal with the full track possibility. It has to be more lucritive to have the 2 smaller tracks. I would guess that this will be the most used or one of the most used motor sports facilities in the country.

Yes, I am disapointed at not having a 4 mile track 40 minutes from my back door but 2, 2 miles tracks ain't too shabby.

Jamie
Old 07-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Is a 2 mile track big enough to attract much in the way of spectator events? Would we see ALMS or IRL at this track?
Old 07-19-2007, 01:12 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Is a 2 mile track big enough to attract much in the way of spectator events? Would we see ALMS or IRL at this track?
Lime Rock is 1.54 miles and ALMS is there every year. My question is can ALMS add a course to their schedule
Old 07-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 830 Likes on 512 Posts

This is great news! This is not far from where my GT3 will be parked.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

LRP is special, though. It's really old and "classic" (must be the bumps). Just wondering if a new track this small will the the attention of the pros. Who runs at VIR, and what course do they do there?

Quick Reply: Millville NJ update