Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR Full course Aug 9th

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 12:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll email you later when I upload the video.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:24 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BKS wrote quote: I want to come. But I don't want to be frustrated when I get there... endquote

Sorry. I am on my wifes laptop and the quote key is broken. I could have great fun with that line, but I cannot think of the right comeback.

Dell, sorry I did not see you. I spent Wednesday in the sun placing 80 c.y. of concrete and felt pretty sick by 2:30, so while on the way to Danville I called the Tracy at VIR and rented a garage. My trailer is open and I just had to have a hiding place. I ran all but the last run. The same thing that happened to you happened to me 5-10 min. before the end of the run. I lost my head...and almost lost my @$$.

Brian and Dell, I hope my point-bys were quick enough. That was my first time in red. I felt I did OK considering my 180 ponies. Passed the miata, a few E30s and the 3.2 Carrera; watched my mirrors for 931, white, yellow and orange GT3s, and the Cup car. Cup car passed me in the middle of South Bend. That was exciting. I think we (me and various other cars bot hfaster and slower) executed three or four passes in turns, and I thought it was great experience. You just have to brake a little more (both cars) so you can maintain a tighter radius than normal.

Instructed a lady in a 2008 Cayenne S. Thtat was also a break from the heat. We did five or six runs with the AC on high!

Don
Old 08-11-2007, 02:30 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah Don, you could definitely twist that quote around....

No problems on the passing Don, you did fine man... Congrats on running in Red...
Old 08-11-2007, 03:19 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Don, I actually have you on video giving some great points where I never had to decel when coming out of snake or oak tree

I'll definitely see you at the end of Sept event! Here's hoping to cooler weather then
Old 08-11-2007, 04:07 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

I don't want to be frustrated when I get there; I want to come.

Same words, different order. :^P

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Glad you survived the heat. September will definitely be better. See you there. Dell, please send me the video when you download it.

Don
Old 08-11-2007, 04:37 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

OH and one more thing!

I LOVED THE NATIONAL ANTHEM BEING PLAYED FIRST THING IN THE MORNING!
Old 08-11-2007, 06:22 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
OH and one more thing!

That was definitely cool. Caught me off guard though

Originally Posted by dbryant61
Dell, please send me the video when you download it.

Don
Sure thing Don. I'll email you later as I just uploaded it. Need to find your car first
Old 08-12-2007, 10:00 AM
VB997
Rennlist Member

Good to see you Brian....looked like you had some fun at the event!

Well it's not a cup car but the new 997 GT3 is damn good on the track in factory trim...BUT that's the last time I'll run it that way!! I'm going to run my 18" slicks next time...that is right after I get a set up on the car! it needs springs...kind of hard to go from 1200lb springs (last race car) to OEM PASM in the new GT3...
Old 08-12-2007, 10:21 AM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Hi John. Come see os at the hospital.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:33 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OH and one more thing!

Did they play it on an F1 engine? That would be the ultimate way to start a track day.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:24 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted this in another thread, but I thought it would also be a fun read here, too...

In response to Don Bryant's comment to me, "Im sorry I did not get the chance to come over and say hi on Thursday. How bout dem degrees?"

Don,

We are looking forward to the 24th. We always enjoy running with First Settlers. We do wish you could get the whole track for the whole three days, but as you say, there are those who love the South Course.

As to Thursday, it was brutal. As Margo said, "That heat is entirely unnecessary." If you saw our little compound with Dell and Tom, Margo had brought a large sheet that she put up between the tent and trailer to shield us from the sun, and I brought along two fans and an extension cord. We also came armed with diapers. Just ask Dell and Tom about the proper use of this item!

I gave up driving right after lunch feeling light-headed and weak-kneed and had to sit for 40 minutes without even the energy to head over to the cool classroom. At one point, Dell got out of the car and looked as though he had gotten run over by a Mack Truck, then cooled off, thanks to Margo's EMT talents, and went back out to set his fastest time of the day. Margo reminds me that I rather looked as though the Mack Truck had hit me, too.

The strangest thing is that Margo, who is the first to wilt in the heat, did just fine. She was so paranoid that she hydrated with a vengeance all Wednesday and Thursday, went into the bathroom before each of her sessions and doused her head in the sink, then ran with a cold, soaking-wet diaper around her neck.

My student was another one of the few not affected by the heat. He said his work environment was much hotter than Thursday at the track. He is a chef! There was one little problem, though, for me in his car. His heat could not be shut off, so we were running in 124-degree on-track temperature, according to his car indicator. With his heater, I thought it would melt the dash and panels.

Margo lucked out with a student with an air-conditioned car. Next time, I want one that can't shut off its AC, but with my luck, I'll get one of those in December.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:25 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

How'd the new engine do Arnie?
Dave Brown told me you guys had done some work to it? Top end or something like that...
Old 08-12-2007, 11:34 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

How'd the new engine do Arnie?
Dave Brown told me you guys had done some work to it? Top end or something like that...
Brian,

Thanks for asking. It was spectacular! The car really ran well. If there was a problem, it was down a little on power because of the heat, not to mention the drivers, neither of whom were driving much above 70% because of the heat and having to hop in and out of our students' cars so quickly.

We hd a very strange problem where the Nikosil started flaking off four of the cylinders, yet there was no scoring or other signs of deterioration on the cylinders. David did a great job and came to the track with us on Thursday to make sure everything was running right and to check tire pressures and suspension settings. All was an A1 go! And I must say, Margo and I really enjoyed having a professional crew chief at the track helping us with the car. He even helped gas the car for us! We can only dream about what it would be like to run at the 24 Hours at Daytona. Dream on!
Old 08-12-2007, 12:03 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Arnie,

Are you running torsion bars, or have you gone to coil-overs? If T-bars, do you mind sharing sizes, sway bar sizes, and corner weights?

I went to a street/track setup a couple of years ago and it is time to take the next step.

Don
Old 08-12-2007, 12:28 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Don,

We are still running torsion bars, hollow 22mm front, 30mm rear. Most likely, we are going to change that to 33mm hollow in the rear. The sway bars are 22mm front and rear.

One of the major advantages of our car is that it is very lightweight, 2,350 with a half a talk of gas. To get much more weight out of it, we would have to replace body panels with fiberglass, not an expense that makes sense for us.

Regarding corner balancing, our car is maintained by Dave Brown at SpeedWerks. He does a great job for us. To him, balancing the car is not just equalizing weight side to side. He uses opposite corners and where those lines intersect to balance the car. Think of left front/right rear or right front/left rear. Because of this, I don't know the numbers. And even if I did, each car has different weights, etc., so each car is going to have different numbers. The ZAPmobile was, however, balanced with ballast in the driver's seat to reflect a compromise between Margo's weight and mine.

I know the various ways of corner balancing a car make for an ongoing debate and not one I want to get into. I just know this method works for our car.

Hope this helps, and see you in September.

Quick Reply: VIR Full course Aug 9th