Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Jim are you going?
Old 07-14-2007, 02:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
they may ask some Intermediates with as little as 4 events experience to instruct as Instructor Trainees.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:55 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have they commented on any of our ideas and suggestions.
If so, I'd like to go. But I haven't heard anything yet.

Brian
Old 07-14-2007, 05:49 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I might be able to make it - need to convince the boss.
I've not driven my C4S on track yet, but that might be a good way to get back to VIR for a one day event. The car is totally stock so it would be nice to get a baseline at VIR full.
I've instructed for Carolinas PCA and First Settlers in the past, so I could probably instruct for this one; however, I really don't want to be shuttling in and out of cars all day to the tune of 7 sessions per run group - that would be more time getting in and out of cars than being on track...
Pare that down to 4-5 run groups of 25-35 minutes apiece and it would be much more attractive...
Old 07-14-2007, 06:48 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Brian, I haven't heard anything yet.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Eddie:

Maury and I are registered and plan to go.

The last I heard there were 22 Novices, 24 Intermediates, 9 Advanced, and 15 Instructors, for a total of 70. It's still early, so those numbers will change. The registration site may scare off non-certified instructors because it states that one must be a certified instructor to register as an instructor, and that they will check on the claim to be sure. I think experienced instructors will be welcomed, certified or not. They got First Settlers Region's instructor list and emailed those people to invite them as instructors. I hope that works to attract more instructors. If not, they could try Carolinas, Blue Ridge, and Potomac regions lists too.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:39 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's an idea for the schedule . Currently there are 7 20mn session = 140 mins.

Why not , each group gets 5 sessions.
1st session of the day for each group is 20 mins
Remaining 4 are 30 mins each.

That gives the same 140 mins per day, without all of the lost time we'll encounter between coming off the track 7 times... The only thing that may shift around is lunchtime - no biggie.

Plus the 1st morning session of 20 mins will be good for the novices. They'll get out there, get their nervousness out of the way in the first short session, and can move on.
For the rest of us, gives us 20 mins to check out our equipment, and we'll be ready to roll and have a good time with the other sessions.

Yellow flag on 1st lap of the 1st session, after that (at least in advanced/instructor groups), track is hot when cars leave pit road.

And open up the passing zones for the instructors/advanced guy/gals.

Now that's a pretty good track day...
Brian
Old 07-15-2007, 06:35 PM
kc996
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
This event still needs more instructors. Instructor cost is $50; $195 otherwise. If they don't get enough instructors for their 22 novices (some Intermediates have requested instructors too), they may ask some Intermediates with as little as 4 events experience to instruct as Instructor Trainees.
Where did you get this information??
k
Old 07-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by kc996
Where did you get this information??
k
It came in an email from the people organizing the event. In this email was your run group and car number assignment.

In the body they mentioned the need for instructors and the possibility of utilizing these individuals.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:43 PM
kc996
Racer

Just get back in town and have some information. I heard back from Greg on some of the questions/concerns.

Passing will be allowed in the novice group after the first session.

He is limiting the event to 85 cars; as of this past Friday 75 cars were registered. Novice group is full and he is probably going to start a wait list in the event anyone drops out. The other 2 run groups will be capped at 35 cars a piece (obviously novice has the least number of cars).

As far as the length of the sessions he said he wants to keep it as is for now because schedules have already been sent out. He said he will be flexible and make changes as they see fit.

Brian I know it's not the answer you wanted but it is an answer none the less. I hope you are able to make it. You have instructed me before (I took you for a long ride past turn one), and I think you'd have a good time.
Kevin
Old 07-15-2007, 06:47 PM
kc996
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris L.
First off. . . I am coming up for the day and looking forward to it especially if all of these suggestions are taken into consideration.

Secondly. . . since I don't recall ever seeing anyone this receptive to suggestions on how to run a DE day I would like to add a few.

1. At the 5 PM whistle having 2-3 kegs tapped in the Pagoda would be nice.
2. Having the Sunoco race gas pumps set to give free fuel for the day is a plus.
3. Grid girls to help towel us off after each run is a big plus especially if they look like Eva Longoria.

Just my $.02
1. Good idea, I'll pass around a helmet for donations.
2. Ain't gonna happen.
3. Please send pics (clothing optional) of candidates you have in mind for towel girls.
k
Old 07-15-2007, 09:55 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Kevin, yes I remember you! New brake pads, right???

Anyway, what's the status on the passing zones? Are we gonna be treated like beginners with the 4 passing zones in the instructor group, or are they gonna open it up and give us some more?

I want to come. But I don't want to be frustrated when I get there...
Old 07-16-2007, 05:14 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Any news on passing zones?
Old 07-16-2007, 05:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Brian, just got an update. The passing zones have been changed. There are now NO passing zones in any group. We will be doing lead-follows throughout the day
Old 07-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, if there are no "passing in these zones only" areas, that must mean it is OK to pass anywhere...

Quick Reply: VIR Full course Aug 9th