Sponsored by:

Throttle pedal extension recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 03:04 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
for floor hinged pedals, the Rennline solid gas pedal and brake pedal raised the accelerator (mounts on top of stock pedal) and lowered the brake pedal (rubber stock pedal is removed) to work for me on several cars. Of course the stock brake pedal is adjustable and can be lowered, but mind the brake light switch at the same time.
Timely thread, was just looking at these for my 911SC...

For those of us who are happy with the relative height of our throttle and brake pedal the way it is, but would like to replace the pedals/covers with something that has more grip and possibly a left-side throttle extension, does anyone have specific recommendations based on their experience?

I was looking at this set, but from what you said above Bull it might not be what I want:

http://rennline.com/product.php/sid/...sche/prodid/43

Perhaps I could adjust the brake pedal up a little to compensate for the added height of the accelerator...

Cheers

Jeff
Old 07-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The change in relative height is not very large, so you may be ok.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:19 PM
rickdm
Racer

I have a 3.2 Carrera which had the gas pedal too low and too far to the right for HT with the side of my foot. My own ghetto solution was to buy another $11 plastic gas pedal, and screw it on top of the existing pedal about 1/2" to the left. It looks stock and placed the pedals perfectly for me.

rickdm
Old 07-09-2007, 12:16 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Vosstek set and like it a lot. The gas pedal is really thick which gives it some added height. I thought I may need to put washers underneath it on my 3.2 but it works perfectly (although I heel toe with my heel, not with the side of my foot).
Old 07-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cut a piece of plywood to suit..bolt it to the exising pedal
I followed this path and I can either hit the gas with my heel or roll my foot to the gas. I think I made that Mod in '98 after I spotted it in a front running GT2 class car.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:45 AM
TR6
Drifting

There seem to be two distinct groups that have responded here: Those that simply want to find an efficient and cost effective solution to allow proper heel-toe technique and those that want to heel-toe with a pretty set of $200-$300 pedals in their footwell.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

And those that blip the throttle with the right side of their foot while braking with the ball vs. those that use their heel for throttle.. I'm the former.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:25 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
And those that blip the throttle with the right side of their foot while braking with the ball vs. those that use their heel for throttle.. I'm the former.

Ditto on the right side of the foot technique, but I like it to look purty while I'm doing it.

Steve
Old 07-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

I like my Vosttek.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:07 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

Thanks for all the replies! I've been carefully working on a technique while coasting in neutral to a stop for traffic signals and stop signs. The only technique that feels remotely comfortable is the "roll your ankle to push the throttle with the right edge of your foot while pushing the brake with the ball of the foot under the big toe" approach. I've tried to heel the throttle, but the ankle twist is so unnatural that I know I'll get lazy and never practice it. Having half or less of my foot on the brake is a bit unnerving, but I'm getting used to it.

I guess this all means I should look for a pedal with an extension on the upper half. I'll look into the plywood approach to start with, unless it will lead to too many mounting holes in the stock pedal.

Jeff
Old 07-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MidnighTT
...Having half or less of my foot on the brake is a bit unnerving, but I'm getting used to it...
A pair of driving shoes will help make this feel more comfortable. Its easier to feel where your foot is on the brake pedal and to make sure you have a good grip.

Quick Reply: Throttle pedal extension recommendation