How about a "DAMN the Mag Racing" track day. Chevy and Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:21 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Well I realize that most of the people here are probably past DE's but that doesnt include everybody. This is only a combined DE idea. We do it down here at Talledega Grand Prix all the time, so why not broaden our horizons and include whoever? May not suit the people here too much but there are people who will be interested.

The title was just to add some flavor to the woochuck.
Now you're getting into the spirit. I don't think you'll find many in this group that are against being on the track with different types of cars as long as the other drover doesn't have freakish orange hair.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

You seem to be a pretty well spoken knowledgable person, but you reading comprehension has failed you. I SPECIFICALLY stated that this was "not competion" and "no timed racing" combined with "hardcore racers stay at home". This idea is just a suggestion and I for one have never planned or come up with any rules for a track day so I could use some help there.
Oh my. If you're going to engage in a battle of wits, it's best if you come armed. Sadly, it seems that you haven't.

Let's review the discussion thus far:

...Porsche vs Chevy...
The use of "vs." is pretty clearly the call to competition. Please provide alternative definitions, if you intend to further continue your slur as to my "reading comprehension".

Classes:

Stock
Stock Minor (tire,brakes upgrades only)
Street GT

All tires have to be DOT. No tube frame race cars, All cars must have a vin and be street legal.
Sooooooo.....you've created classes, BUT THERE IS NO COMPETITION. I see. Or rather, I don't see.

Please explain what, in particular, is defective in my reading comprehension.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Oh my. If you're going to engage in a battle of wits, it's best if you come armed.
Wanna

In a battle of wits, you should know that the Professor has thermo-nucleur capabilities.

Peace.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:55 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh my. If you're going to engage in a battle of wits, it's best if you come armed. Sadly, it seems that you haven't.

Let's review the discussion thus far:

The use of "vs." is pretty clearly the call to competition. Please provide alternative definitions, if you intend to further continue your slur as to my "reading comprehension".

Sooooooo.....you've created classes, BUT THERE IS NO COMPETITION. I see. Or rather, I don't see.

Please explain what, in particular, is defective in my reading comprehension.
Wow, I'm not sure I should continue to reply, I said Porsche vs Chevy has become a major topic and subject of magazines comparisons etc. I further went on to say this event was not a race, racers stay home, this was a fun group track day and that's it, or are you reading my posts one line at a time. That's good you've made it past the title and the first sentence, now see if you can read the rest of it all on your own without me having to explain it.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like an EMRA or NASA event. Why don't we run for time... oh, because the Corvettes will lose to the Porsches and go home crying.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:13 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without taking this personally (it may be to late), your idea just needs to clarity. Maybe better yet ask for feedback on what is thought of a Chevy vs Porsche competition (most of the replies are basically that). Personally, it's silly. I like seeing various cars at DE's and I club race with only Porsches because that is what is allowed. I intend to try some other events for the variety. I have absolutely nothing against other manufacturers and think it's great when clubs can open events to all, but a Porsche VS Corvette event is a little ............... well you know. Sorry.

BTW. Porsche VS Corvette is currently not a pratical racing issue because GAC, ALMS has bracketed the cars in different classes. We do however have to compete with Ferrari this year.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:19 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

That's good you've made it past the title and the first sentence, now see if you can read the rest of it all on your own without me having to explain it.
OK...well, far beyond the first sentence, you use the words 'rules' and 'classes':

I think we should aim for VIR or something central to the east side and have rules such as

Classes:

Stock
Stock Minor (tire,brakes upgrades only)
Street GT

All tires have to be DOT. No tube frame race cars, All cars must have a vin and be street legal.
Those would be vehicle classes. In HPDE/track days, the divisions are based on driver's skills...you know..."novice", "intermediate" and "advance" are the general themes. In racing, it's the driver's skills that are tested, and the dividing lines are based on car preparation. That would be your "Stock", "Stock Minor" and "Street GT".

So...are you dividing up your "classes" based on driver's skill, as one might expect to find in a "non-competitive" HPDE, or are you dividing up your "classes" based on car preparation rules, as is the practice in "racing" ???

Maybe you meant to say:

Noob, willing to listen
Noob with $1000 Sparco suit and expensive sunglasses riding atop his baseball cap, casting furtive glances at any available mirror
Noob with $1000 Sparco suit, aforementioned baseball cap & mirror, 200hp more than he can really handle, Hoosiers and a first-class ticket for an ambulance ride

I'm just sitting here in morbid fascination, like watching an on-coming train wreck, as you attempt to switch your way to a safe siding and away from the main line, as defined in your first post.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Old 07-04-2007, 11:36 PM
wanna911
Race Car

OK...well, far beyond the first sentence, you use the words 'rules' and 'classes':

Those would be vehicle classes. In HPDE/track days, the divisions are based on driver's skills...you know..."novice", "intermediate" and "advance" are the general themes. In racing, it's the driver's skills that are tested, and the dividing lines are based on car preparation. That would be your "Stock", "Stock Minor" and "Street GT".

So...are you dividing up your "classes" based on driver's skill, as one might expect to find in a "non-competitive" HPDE, or are you dividing up your "classes" based on car preparation rules, as is the practice in "racing" ???

Maybe you meant to say:

Noob, willing to listen
Noob with $1000 Sparco suit and expensive sunglasses riding atop his baseball cap, casting furtive glances at any available mirror
Noob with $1000 Sparco suit, aforementioned baseball cap & mirror, 200hp more than he can really handle, Hoosiers and a first-class ticket for an ambulance ride
I'm just sitting here in morbid fascination, like watching an on-coming train wreck, as you attempt to switch your way to a safe siding and away from the main line, as defined in your first post.
I did consider that as well but I thought I'd put it that way because with mixed groups people are going to be curious, if we were able to keep it from becoming a slugfest, then by all means let people test their skills, because that's why most of us drive afterall isnt it, to be better than the other guys? That was kind of a bait, and subject to change as was the whole concept. I would like nothing more than to see a bunch of sporty cars testing their skils in and open track format, not as competition, but the person here who says they have never tried to catch up or pass or keep from getting pass (by skill, not blocking) is a LIAR. There is no backpedaling here, I stated clearly that this was not a competition, in the same manner that it is spoken at HPDE's around the country, but we all know what happens when the adrenaline takes over. If you couldnt comprehend that, or were just looking for someone to bash, your problem not mine.

I understand how it may have come across the wrong way, and for that I apologize, this was kind of at a whim, and I guess that because I have a large group of guys who do things like this at a whim, they reside everywhere. I really didnt want to turn this into a two make event, but it sounded fun to me. Private Rentals are just as good as HPDE's if not better IMO, in fact, since I've done time trials, I dont really like HPDE's anymore, way too boring, so private DEis a good combination of not being competition but not being lame.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:12 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a guy who can help you organize this event... he's got his own sub-forum around here.

He excels at planning events.

And non-competitive driving.

Sounds like a perfect match to me.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Point of clairification, j

it's not his sub forum, it's ours. He is merely the straight man, punchline, provider of raw material...
Old 07-05-2007, 02:39 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Gentlemen, I think the real question is, will this event count towards the 2007 HPDE championship?
Old 07-05-2007, 03:17 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Point of clairification, j

it's not his sub forum, it's ours. He is merely the straight man, punchline, provider of raw material...
Very true... I originally typed "cage" instead of "sub-forum", but then figured that those people not familiar with the area might not appreciate nor understand the description.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Gentlemen, I think the real question is, will this event count towards the 2007 HPDE championship?

Originally Posted by jgrant
Very true... I originally typed "cage" instead of "sub-forum", but then figured that those people not familiar with the area might not appreciate nor understand the description.

I bet they get the idea now
Old 07-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_sounds/hg/ecentric.wav

Quick Reply: How about a "DAMN the Mag Racing" track day. Chevy and Porsche