Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   How about a "DAMN the Mag Racing" track day. Chevy and Porsche (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/362887-how-about-a-damn-the-mag-racing-track-day-chevy-and-porsche.html)

wanna911 07-03-2007 07:08 PM

How about a "DAMN the Mag Racing" track day. Chevy and Porsche

Porsche vs Chevy has become a battle of the ages in recent years, I happen to own and love both. I know that with all the mag comparo threads lately people have been getting all riled up over someone elses driving and how they could have done better, or opinions of their beloved cars etc. Why not have all the people who run things other than their mouths get together for a fun track day and kick all the mag racing to the curb for some fun. This is not a competition of any sorts because I know for a fact that most people who really track their cars ARE NOT STOCK. So there wont be any timed racing although we all know that ego's run ablaze on the track but I want to make it clear that this is for good sportsmanship and gentlemen only, the hardcore race guys can stay at home.

I think we should aim for VIR or something central to the east side and have rules such as

Classes:

Stock
Stock Minor (tire,brakes upgrades only)
Street GT

All tires have to be DOT. No tube frame race cars, All cars must have a vin and be street legal.

I think it would be a great idea to get out and have some fun with other people because if you have been to the track you would know that most of the arguing that goes on in the internet boards is all squash when you get to the track, yeah there are ego's running wild but people are generally respectful and wont talk all that trash (at least to your face ).

Just guagin interest.

Professor Helmüt Tester 07-03-2007 07:12 PM

What...is 'Pinks' on hiatus for the summer ?

wanna911 07-03-2007 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
What...is 'Pinks' on hiatus for the summer ?

Point?

Professor Helmüt Tester 07-03-2007 07:24 PM

Recipe for fricasee of woodchuck ?

Mike in Chi 07-03-2007 07:37 PM

:roflmao:

Stop, you're making DJ hungry!

wanna911 07-03-2007 07:38 PM

What are you talking about? How about shutup unless you are going to say something related to the thread topic.

Acropora 07-03-2007 11:32 PM

lol

Rich Sandor 07-04-2007 01:03 AM

I think you can go to pretty much any DE and see stock and mostly stock Vettes and Porsches of different eras running at the same time.

Professor Helmüt Tester 07-04-2007 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by wanna911
How about shutup unless you are going to say something related to the thread topic.

OK....here goes:

You are suggeesting that people should organize/participate in some kind of speed competition on-track, with some broadly (...) defined rules. Around here, that's called "racing".

"Racing", without the requisite skills and the requisite safety equipment, is a fools errand. In the 'Fools Errand Dept.', we have (for example) the TV show Pinks, which is nothing more than video proof that human beings have recently mated with woodchucks. So...both of my comments were germain to the initial posting...or as germain as I get when I'm being sarcastic.

If you wanna go race, then go race. Many here are well acquainted with racing, and the organization, skills and equipment necessary for racing. Your proposal missed all of that, by a mile. Those here with experience in HPDE/track days know the dangers of participants trying to hold 'race' events 'under the radar' at HPDEs/track events, and they would all (unanimously, I'd guess) chime in and say "Wow...that's really dumb".

And...for what it's worth, Mike, DJ likes his woodchuck grilled.

aben8057 07-04-2007 01:08 PM

:corn: :corn:

Mike in Chi 07-04-2007 02:09 PM

OK....here goes:

You are suggeesting that people should organize/participate in some kind of speed competition on-track, with some broadly (...) defined rules. Around here, that's called "racing".

"Racing", without the requisite skills and the requisite safety equipment, is a fools errand. In the 'Fools Errand Dept.', we have (for example) the TV show Pinks, which is nothing more than video proof that human beings have recently mated with woodchucks. So...both of my comments were germain to the initial posting...or as germain as I get when I'm being sarcastic.

If you wanna go race, then go race. Many here are well acquainted with racing, and the organization, skills and equipment necessary for racing. Your proposal missed all of that, by a mile. Those here with experience in HPDE/track days know the dangers of participants trying to hold 'race' events 'under the radar' at HPDEs/track events, and they would all (unanimously, I'd guess) chime in and say "Wow...that's really dumb".

Isn't that why he sold his race car and moved to Oreganistan? A ready supply of woodchucks?

wanna911 07-04-2007 03:54 PM

OK....here goes:

You seem to be a pretty well spoken knowledgable person, but you reading comprehension has failed you. I SPECIFICALLY stated that this was "not competion" and "no timed racing" combined with "hardcore racers stay at home". This idea is just a suggestion and I for one have never planned or come up with any rules for a track day so I could use some help there. If it seemed as though it would get too competitive, why not use smarts and run the vette and porsche groups seperately, easy enough if run properly to ensure that everyone gets sufiicient track time.

So back to the original point, the purpose of the track day is not to prove which cars can run what and beat who but to actually make something out of all the internet garbage that floats around. Not a Chevy vs Porsche race, I thought I made that clear, but appearantly not, maybe you should try reading past the thread title next time.

Gary R. 07-04-2007 04:23 PM

So what the heck is the point of this "not competition" event and it's different classes.. who looks cooler?

cooleyjb 07-04-2007 04:27 PM

If it's not a time competition or has no racing how can you compare the Chevy to the Porsche. In order to compare things like this you have to quantify your statements. To quantify you must have numbers. To have numbers you have to time.

Basically if you take out the competition and want to have a Porsche and Chevy trackday that's easy It's called an HPDE. There are hundreds of them around the country. Pretty much every DE outside of PCA has Porsches and Chevys on the track.

bobt993 07-04-2007 04:29 PM

If you put drovers on a track and do not post speed limits your going to have some form of competition. It would be equivalent to asking to boxers to shadow each other in the ring. The professor knows a thing or two about racing, so his comments come with a plethora of experience.

BTW, why did you exclude women from the event? My wife would be pissed.