Sponsored by:

How about a "DAMN the Mag Racing" track day. Chevy and Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 04:54 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
...but I want to make it clear that this is for good sportsmanship and gentlemen only, the hardcore race guys can stay at home.
How can it be sportsmanship without racing, group hugs in pitlane?

Old 07-04-2007, 05:27 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
If it's not a time competition or has no racing how can you compare the Chevy to the Porsche. In order to compare things like this you have to quantify your statements. To quantify you must have numbers. To have numbers you have to time.

Basically if you take out the competition and want to have a Porsche and Chevy trackday that's easy It's called an HPDE. There are hundreds of them around the country. Pretty much every DE outside of PCA has Porsches and Chevys on the track.

Yeah there are HPDE, but there are also hundreds of private track rentals a year at various tracks around the country, or is that not allowed on this site? This is not about comparison, is about seat time, another reason to have a track day, why not have one with a lot of people you know and share car info with on the boards, the ones who know there is more to tracking than a C&D comparison.

We have dicussed for a while now having a Turbo track day, seeing as there are more and more 996 Turbos that are going to the tracks now than ever, I doubt we'd have enough though to facilitate renting a track out so why not include corvettes, which I have and love as well, there is already a big vette track rental coming up pretty soon done by NCM. And that idea had to start somewhere right?

This is HPDE format in a private rental, which occurs all over the place, we already have people who are coming who are qualified PCA instructors so instruction will be available, there are no times other than the ones people keep in their cars. Like I said it's just an idea, not trying to start a racing league or anything, if it happens it happens if not, then so be it, but some of the responses here are not only uncalled for, but downright ignorant.

Maybe you old PCA SCCA NASA race vets in here are dissapointed because it's not a race, but everyone isnt ready for W2W racing yet (including me) but I ahve done several time trials of which this event would be neither, just another private rental.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:37 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't get it. You want to class the cars based on modifications, specify the type of tire used and then say "This is not about comparison, is about seat time". If was just a DE for seat time, then why not allow slicks or a tube frame race car, or whatever? Although you said in your first post that it wasn't a competition, it sure sounded like it was going to turn into one.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:39 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Maybe they don't want to race. They just want to compare performance.. You know, best acceleration, braking, cornering, lap times.. No racing, just comparisons.. LOL
Old 07-04-2007, 05:45 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by sjanes
I don't get it. You want to class the cars based on modifications, specify the type of tire used and then say "This is not about comparison, is about seat time". If was just a DE for seat time, then why not allow slicks or a tube frame race car, or whatever? Although you said in your first post that it wasn't a competition, it sure sounded like it was going to turn into one.
These are all preliminary ideas, off the top of my head and could be changed at any time prior to based on the ideas of the drivers involved, grading a rough draft is always fun isnt it?
Old 07-04-2007, 05:46 PM
jester911
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds a little too ambiguous but then again maybe not.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

...but some of the responses here are not only uncalled for, but downright ignorant.
You are right. You have a great idea.

Hope you and your friends enjoy not racing your Turbo and Vette.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Sounds like a regular, old DE with some restrictions on types of cars, which is typical of many PCA regions (i.e. no non P-cars, esp. with fully-booked home events).

I would surmise that some on the board find a thread like this to be less than serious since I have a feeling not many people are getting into a twist over the latest Corvette beating the 997 or vice versa. I couldn't care less which car won a magazine comparo if I owned one. I guess it's called security.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:21 PM
jester911
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brian A.
You are right. You have a great idea.

Hope you and your friends enjoy not racing your Turbo and Vette.
There it is. Maybe it just isn't such a hot idea. No need to get hostile.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Can we have some grilled woodchuck now?

DJ says it's delicious.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:28 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Sounds like a regular, old DE with some restrictions on types of cars, which is typical of many PCA regions (i.e. no non P-cars, esp. with fully-booked home events).

I would surmise that some on the board find a thread like this to be less than serious since I have a feeling not many people are getting into a twist over the latest Corvette beating the 997 or vice versa. I couldn't care less which car won a magazine comparo if I owned one. I guess it's called security.

Well, I'm always looking for ideas to have and attend track days. I also know that most of the people that bicker over the internet about the comparos dont acutally go to the track but argue over mag stats all day. I guess I get frustrated trying to explain that a GT500 is no match for a 997 TT as the latest C&D suggests (same lap time), I realize it's futile trying to convince people otherwise so I thought I'd make something positive. I'm all for a private rental because #1 you dont get stuck on track with 75 people (easy at popular tracks, meaning less traffic, and more track time #2 it's less formal so to speak (class rooms and such) .#3 you make your own date
Old 07-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

I also know that most of the people that bicker over the internet about the comparos dont acutally go to the track but argue over mag stats all day. I guess I get frustrated trying to explain that a GT500 is no match for a 997 TT as the latest C&D suggests (same lap time), I realize it's futile trying to convince people otherwise so I thought I'd make something positive.
Wanna

I think you'll find that most of the people who frequent this board go to the track regularly, and most of them could car less what the magazine thumpers have to say.

Professor, will you save me a leg?
Old 07-04-2007, 06:47 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Engine size & hp should matter when seperating diff classes...
Old 07-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Wanna

I think you'll find that most of the people who frequent this board go to the track regularly, and most of them could car less what the magazine thumpers have to say.
BINGO! Who gives a CRAP what some magazine prints? It's looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.....
Old 07-04-2007, 07:00 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Well I realize that most of the people here are probably past DE's but that doesnt include everybody. This is only a combined DE idea. We do it down here at Talledega Grand Prix all the time, so why not broaden our horizons and include whoever? May not suit the people here too much but there are people who will be interested.

The title was just to add some flavor to the woochuck.

Quick Reply: How about a "DAMN the Mag Racing" track day. Chevy and Porsche