Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about a "DAMN the Mag Racing" track day. Chevy and Porsche

 
Old 07-04-2007, 04:54 PM
  #16  
sweanders
Super User
 
sweanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 11,252
Default

Originally Posted by wanna911
...but I want to make it clear that this is for good sportsmanship and gentlemen only, the hardcore race guys can stay at home.
How can it be sportsmanship without racing, group hugs in pitlane?

sweanders is offline  
Old 07-04-2007, 05:27 PM
  #17  
wanna911
Super User
Thread Starter
 
wanna911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: With A Manual Transmission
Posts: 4,727
Default

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
If it's not a time competition or has no racing how can you compare the Chevy to the Porsche. In order to compare things like this you have to quantify your statements. To quantify you must have numbers. To have numbers you have to time.

Basically if you take out the competition and want to have a Porsche and Chevy trackday that's easy It's called an HPDE. There are hundreds of them around the country. Pretty much every DE outside of PCA has Porsches and Chevys on the track.

Yeah there are HPDE, but there are also hundreds of private track rentals a year at various tracks around the country, or is that not allowed on this site? This is not about comparison, is about seat time, another reason to have a track day, why not have one with a lot of people you know and share car info with on the boards, the ones who know there is more to tracking than a C&D comparison.

We have dicussed for a while now having a Turbo track day, seeing as there are more and more 996 Turbos that are going to the tracks now than ever, I doubt we'd have enough though to facilitate renting a track out so why not include corvettes, which I have and love as well, there is already a big vette track rental coming up pretty soon done by NCM. And that idea had to start somewhere right?

This is HPDE format in a private rental, which occurs all over the place, we already have people who are coming who are qualified PCA instructors so instruction will be available, there are no times other than the ones people keep in their cars. Like I said it's just an idea, not trying to start a racing league or anything, if it happens it happens if not, then so be it, but some of the responses here are not only uncalled for, but downright ignorant.

Maybe you old PCA SCCA NASA race vets in here are dissapointed because it's not a race, but everyone isnt ready for W2W racing yet (including me) but I ahve done several time trials of which this event would be neither, just another private rental.
wanna911 is offline  
Old 07-04-2007, 05:37 PM
  #18  
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
sjanes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: O'Canada
Posts: 1,513
Default

I don't get it. You want to class the cars based on modifications, specify the type of tire used and then say "This is not about comparison, is about seat time". If was just a DE for seat time, then why not allow slicks or a tube frame race car, or whatever? Although you said in your first post that it wasn't a competition, it sure sounded like it was going to turn into one.
sjanes is offline  
Old 07-04-2007, 05:39 PM
  #19  
sweanders
Super User
 
sweanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 11,252
Default

Maybe they don't want to race. They just want to compare performance.. You know, best acceleration, braking, cornering, lap times.. No racing, just comparisons.. LOL
sweanders is offline  
Old 07-04-2007, 05:45 PM
  #20  
wanna911
Super User
Thread Starter
 
wanna911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: With A Manual Transmission
Posts: 4,727
Default

Originally Posted by sjanes
I don't get it. You want to class the cars based on modifications, specify the type of tire used and then say "This is not about comparison, is about seat time". If was just a DE for seat time, then why not allow slicks or a tube frame race car, or whatever? Although you said in your first post that it wasn't a competition, it sure sounded like it was going to turn into one.
These are all preliminary ideas, off the top of my head and could be changed at any time prior to based on the ideas of the drivers involved, grading a rough draft is always fun isnt it?
wanna911 is offline  
Old 07-04-2007, 05:46 PM
  #21  
jester911
Super User
 
jester911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: a slippery slope...
Posts: 2,064
Default

Sounds a little too ambiguous but then again maybe not.
jester911 is offline  
Old 07-04-2007, 05:58 PM
  #22  
Brian A.
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Brian A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,215
Default

Originally Posted by wanna911
...but some of the responses here are not only uncalled for, but downright ignorant.
You are right. You have a great idea.

Hope you and your friends enjoy not racing your Turbo and Vette.
Brian A. is offline  
Old 07-04-2007, 06:13 PM
  #23  
Mark in Baltimore
Moderator
Rennlist Member
 
Mark in Baltimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 21,175
Default

Sounds like a regular, old DE with some restrictions on types of cars, which is typical of many PCA regions (i.e. no non P-cars, esp. with fully-booked home events).

I would surmise that some on the board find a thread like this to be less than serious since I have a feeling not many people are getting into a twist over the latest Corvette beating the 997 or vice versa. I couldn't care less which car won a magazine comparo if I owned one. I guess it's called security.
Mark in Baltimore is offline  
Old 07-04-2007, 06:21 PM
  #24  
jester911
Super User
 
jester911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: a slippery slope...
Posts: 2,064
Default

Originally Posted by Brian A.
You are right. You have a great idea.

Hope you and your friends enjoy not racing your Turbo and Vette.
There it is. Maybe it just isn't such a hot idea. No need to get hostile.
jester911 is offline  
Old 07-04-2007, 06:23 PM
  #25  
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Mike in Chi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The Flying Turtle Ranch
Posts: 11,747
Default

Can we have some grilled woodchuck now?

DJ says it's delicious.
Mike in Chi is offline  
Old 07-04-2007, 06:28 PM
  #26  
wanna911
Super User
Thread Starter
 
wanna911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: With A Manual Transmission
Posts: 4,727
Default

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Sounds like a regular, old DE with some restrictions on types of cars, which is typical of many PCA regions (i.e. no non P-cars, esp. with fully-booked home events).

I would surmise that some on the board find a thread like this to be less than serious since I have a feeling not many people are getting into a twist over the latest Corvette beating the 997 or vice versa. I couldn't care less which car won a magazine comparo if I owned one. I guess it's called security.

Well, I'm always looking for ideas to have and attend track days. I also know that most of the people that bicker over the internet about the comparos dont acutally go to the track but argue over mag stats all day. I guess I get frustrated trying to explain that a GT500 is no match for a 997 TT as the latest C&D suggests (same lap time), I realize it's futile trying to convince people otherwise so I thought I'd make something positive. I'm all for a private rental because #1 you dont get stuck on track with 75 people (easy at popular tracks, meaning less traffic, and more track time #2 it's less formal so to speak (class rooms and such) .#3 you make your own date
wanna911 is offline  
Old 07-04-2007, 06:39 PM
  #27  
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Mike in Chi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The Flying Turtle Ranch
Posts: 11,747
Default

Originally Posted by wanna911
I also know that most of the people that bicker over the internet about the comparos dont acutally go to the track but argue over mag stats all day. I guess I get frustrated trying to explain that a GT500 is no match for a 997 TT as the latest C&D suggests (same lap time), I realize it's futile trying to convince people otherwise so I thought I'd make something positive.
Wanna

I think you'll find that most of the people who frequent this board go to the track regularly, and most of them could car less what the magazine thumpers have to say.

Professor, will you save me a leg?
Mike in Chi is offline  
Old 07-04-2007, 06:47 PM
  #28  
f8vr993
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
f8vr993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Orange County
Posts: 1,145
Default

Engine size & hp should matter when seperating diff classes...
f8vr993 is offline  
Old 07-04-2007, 06:48 PM
  #29  
Gary R.
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Gary R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Valencia, Spain
Posts: 14,973
Default

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Wanna

I think you'll find that most of the people who frequent this board go to the track regularly, and most of them could car less what the magazine thumpers have to say.
BINGO! Who gives a CRAP what some magazine prints? It's looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.....
Gary R. is offline  
Old 07-04-2007, 07:00 PM
  #30  
wanna911
Super User
Thread Starter
 
wanna911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: With A Manual Transmission
Posts: 4,727
Default

Well I realize that most of the people here are probably past DE's but that doesnt include everybody. This is only a combined DE idea. We do it down here at Talledega Grand Prix all the time, so why not broaden our horizons and include whoever? May not suit the people here too much but there are people who will be interested.

The title was just to add some flavor to the woochuck.
wanna911 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: