Sponsored by:

Anyone raced Hallett w/COMMA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 06:35 PM
redcar1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone raced Hallett w/COMMA?

I'm thinking about going from Austin up to Hallett July 21&22 to race with COMMA. Has anyone here raced at Hallett, possibly with COMMA?

From the website they look very much like NASA, which I really like. Any thoughts on their event?

What about a narrative or video of the Hallet racing line?

Thanks for any insight.

Mark
Old 07-03-2007, 06:44 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

yes, it's a good starting point but the races are short (12 laps of 1.8 mile track for feature race on sunday) and the track can get crowded. i've run at hallett for the last three years. if you're looking for fun, it's pretty good, but if you're looking for competition and points, don't do it. there are plenty of tracks in TX to hone your skills.

visit www.hallettracing.net and they have video of the track both CW and CCW
Old 07-03-2007, 07:14 PM
redcar1
Instructor

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
yes, it's a good starting point but the races are short (12 laps of 1.8 mile track for feature race on sunday) and the track can get crowded. i've run at hallett for the last three years. if you're looking for fun, it's pretty good, but if you're looking for competition and points, don't do it. there are plenty of tracks in TX to hone your skills.

visit www.hallettracing.net and they have video of the track both CW and CCW
Thanks Joseph. I'm not looking for points at all; just a fresh track without a lot of red tape. I think I'll go up and check it out. I understand there's even some elevation change! More than the banking at TWS or the "bump" at MSRHouston.

Mark
Old 07-03-2007, 08:40 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

couple more things i didn't have time to add. if you click on "about hallett" on their website, it has video in the CW and CCW direction. also, a few BMW guys in Austin have been there (Chris Gant)...i don't know any Porsche guys there. Hallett's tech inspection is very quick and easy.....if you pass NASA or PCA you will almost certainly pass COMMA tech. what car do you drive? they will probably put you in a GT class - i run GT2 since my car is a six cylinder BMW. a turbo 911 would be GT1, turbo 944 would be GT2. it's a tight, technical track. not especially fast. top speed may be around 95-105, but it's fun to drive. I plan on being there 21-22, I drive a red/black E36 BMW. hope to see you there.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:51 PM
redcar1
Instructor

couple more things i didn't have time to add. if you click on "about hallett" on their website, it has video in the CW and CCW direction. also, a few BMW guys in Austin have been there (Chris Gant)...i don't know any Porsche guys there. Hallett's tech inspection is very quick and easy.....if you pass NASA or PCA you will almost certainly pass COMMA tech. what car do you drive? they will probably put you in a GT class - i run GT2 since my car is a six cylinder BMW. a turbo 911 would be GT1, turbo 944 would be GT2. it's a tight, technical track. not especially fast. top speed may be around 95-105, but it's fun to drive. I plan on being there 21-22, I drive a red/black E36 BMW. hope to see you there.
I found the video and excellent track notes on their website. Do you happen to know if we'll run CW or CCW?

I'm definitely planning to come, as that is a good wknd for me to travel. I race a retired Ferrari 355Challenge. In Nasa they put it in ST2.

Do you happen to know if there's testing available that Friday 07/20? What about renting an RV at the track?

Thanks so much.

Mark

Last edited by redcar1; 07-03-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:44 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

sweet. i would love to see a 355 challenge car there. you'd be in GT1 with the nascar style 8 cylinder cars, a GT3 cup car, and a turbo 911. all the GT cars practice and qualify together, so there may be as many as 20+ cars on track.

not sure about direction. last month we ran CCW, so it may be CW this time. i don't believe they have RVs at the track, but they do have outlets that you can plug in to if you have your own RV. call Stephens Brothers re testing that Friday.

Joseph
Old 07-04-2007, 03:18 PM
redcar1
Instructor

I'll see what I can find about Friday. According to the website, July (round5) will be Clockwise.

Can you recommend a nearby hotel? Thanks for your help. I'll look forward to seeing you there.

Mark

sweet. i would love to see a 355 challenge car there. you'd be in GT1 with the nascar style 8 cylinder cars, a GT3 cup car, and a turbo 911. all the GT cars practice and qualify together, so there may be as many as 20+ cars on track.

not sure about direction. last month we ran CCW, so it may be CW this time. i don't believe they have RVs at the track, but they do have outlets that you can plug in to if you have your own RV. call Stephens Brothers re testing that Friday.

Joseph
Old 07-04-2007, 08:13 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

they have lots of hotels listed on their website. closest decent hotels are hampton inn and best western in sand springs, about 20-25 miles east towards tulsa. ask for the hallett rate, which is about $30 cheaper at Hampton Inn.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:36 PM
redcar1
Instructor

Default Great Event!

Thanks to Joseph for encouraging me to come up. I had a terrific time, and the Stephens family put on a great event! Very friendly, great track, great racing....

Mark
Old 07-23-2007, 12:49 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

hey Mark, good to meet you and hope to see you again up there sometime

Quick Reply: Anyone raced Hallett w/COMMA?