Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Second oil cooler (1993 RSA) remove stock fan??

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 07:56 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Second oil cooler (1993 RSA) remove stock fan??

I noticed that my oil temps were higher than normal at Watkins Glen DE this past week. Ok, the air temps were well into the 90's, but I figured it was time to confirm what that "Cooler" switch on the dash did (previous owner was not hands-on and was not definite....). I am familiar with wiring the oil cooler fan to force it to High (done it on my 993).

So, I remove front inner fender liners.
Good news - there is a second oil cooler on the driver's side (empty space since the RSA is a factory non-AC car).
Bad news (?) they totally removed the electric fan from the original cooler....?

So, I guess the answer to question # 1 - the dash switch is doing NOTHING.

NEW QUESTION - any good reason to have removed the blower fan ? Sure looks like it can still fit even with an extra oil line in there. Even if the fan blocks some air flow at speed on the track - the other cooler would have lots of clean air. Would seem like a good combo - a fan on one, and free air on the other.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Kavo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you check your thermostat! A guy I know suspects that is what destroyed his last engine and he has both coolers. His thermostat was sticking. He replaced the guts of the thermostat with a rebuild kit.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:04 AM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Yup ! I read more last night that pointed me to the thermostat, and as soon as I take care of a few more things I am going to take it out and warm it up and check to see if thermostat is opening up. Already priced out the oil cooler thermostat "insert", so I can get it on order if necessary tomorrow.

I still think I like the idea of getting a fan back in there, and looking at the oil coolers on both sides - neither is shrouded off that well to force air to flow through them. But I don't think those will happen before my Mt. Tremblant and Calabogie trip coming up in a week.

Thanks !
Old 07-01-2007, 12:05 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One quick check on the thermostat is to bring the car up to temp, better yet run it pretty warm. Check the both fenders for heat. They should be quite warm or put a laser temp probe on the coil surface to make sure your plumbing. Lower t-stat sounds like a good idea to me, someone may have a better opinion on that one.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

With dual coolers, your car should run very cool, even in higher temps. Mine shows 212f on an 86f degree day.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the running hot problem at the Glen two years ago. Was reaching 250. Added Ducting and it was better but still running hot. Replaced thermostat and now runs at 212 all day long. Was at the Glen two weeks ago and in 90 degree temps still holds at 212. Wanted a 190 thermostat but its seems they do not make that any longer. Had to go with 212. Don't have electric fan but do have a big front cooler in addition to the fender cooler.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

As long as you have airflow you don't need the fans. My car has dual coolers (with no fans) and runs 180-190 even when the ambient temps are well into the 100's. You need the fans if you are not moving. On the track, they reduce the amount of air that gets to the coolers.

Quick Reply: Second oil cooler (1993 RSA) remove stock fan??