Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 03:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Schuberth helmets

Am I correct in that Schuberth only makes/sells auto racing helmets to F1 teams/drivers?
http://www.schuberth.com/
I've never seen a Schuberth auto racing helmet for sale.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:47 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Custom helmets, many thousands of dollars.

You can get a Zamp Carbon (aka Bell Europe) for $3k, and it'll be equivalent.

There are also some other full custom helmets being offered to the public that are similarly priced.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:37 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pulled this off the net....

Schuberth Helme GmbH was founded in Brunswick (Germany) in 1922. Earlier starting with the manufacturing of helmet components, Schuberth has been making helmets since 1953 and motorcycle helmets since 1956. They provide a wide range of products including military helmets, motorcycle helmets, police and riot control helmets, fire fighter helmets, and high-performance racing helmets such as world-class, carbon fiber Formula-1 models. Schuberth invented the flip-open helmet "concept" in 1978 and has since become the world's most innovative helmet manufacturer. The Schuberth manufacturing process is certified to ISO 9001, AQAP 120 and European standards. Each Schuberth helmet combines maximum protection with optimal wearing comfort.

It looks like their moto helmets are sold in the USA.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:00 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

If you want a Schuberth helmet, you will have to come to Europe to get one. Oh, and it helps if you are quick.
Many people miss the fact that the Audi Le Mans team use these helmets, the reduction in weight is very helpful in endurance driving and there has been a not very successful program to try and incorporate some HUD features in the helmets.

R+C
Old 06-28-2007, 05:41 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chrisp
Pulled this off the net....

It looks like their moto helmets are sold in the USA.
I own one of the C2's. I retired it to my 'Museum of Helmets' after less than 1 yaer. It was great at first but he flip-up started to get wonky and then the padding all condensed and got loose, then it starte to leak. For a $500+ helmet I was not impressed.

I'd always heard great things about them... then again.. I was once told that a Cadillac was an 'ultimate' car (been there, did that too - DOH!). I imagine my experience with one of thier moto helmets is not indicitive of their F1 helmets.

My point? Before tossing down the $$$ talk to someone that's used one (not just bought one) for a while and see how it worked out. For an SA helmet I'll probably look at Bell myself.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:23 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Unless you are in a formula/prototype/sportsracer where having an extra 0.5 ounces will make even a slightly noticeable difference over a couple hour endurance stint, its a waste of money.

Get an Arai Gp5, Sparco, Zamp RZ elite/carbon, any of those and you'll be good to go.

$3k, Zamp/Bell helmet

Old 06-28-2007, 09:57 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 963 Likes on 587 Posts

I doubt Michael ever paid for one of his...
Old 06-29-2007, 01:02 AM
95m3racer
Pro

The manufacturer does get paid one way or another, regardless of who actually paid the bill
Old 06-29-2007, 05:48 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95m3racer
Unless you are in a formula/prototype/sportsracer where having an extra 0.5 ounces will make even a slightly noticeable difference over a couple hour endurance stint, its a waste of money.
Firstly, we aren't talking about half an ounce and secondly, the effect of G-force exagerates the weight difference.

That helmet in the photo looks good too.

So, whilst the helmets are expensive, the price is worth it, if you are racing. Most of the racers I know keep a heavier helmet to wear whilst working out in the gym.

R+C
Old 06-30-2007, 01:49 AM
95m3racer
Pro

The price is only worth it if you have the money.

Even assuming you pull some serious lateral acceleration, you need to be a prototype/sportsracer/formula type environment to really notice or benefit from the VERY small weight difference. The distance from the pivot pooint to determine the moment of inertia is going to be your neck muscles, and its not very far away from he CG of your head, so you won't have any noticeable added leverage in that respect either.

Most helmets are constructed very similarly these days, and the composites are almost identical. You can get a carbon helmet for well under $1k, and they are light, and ready off the shelf from several manufacturers. Since it only realistically lasts a couple seasons of racing (if that) you'd have to either be sponsored or very wealthy to be able to go through a 5-10K helmet every couple years...but then again lots of people are rich, so its not that big of a deal.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:56 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95m3racer
The price is only worth it if you have the money.

Even assuming you pull some serious lateral acceleration, you need to be a prototype/sportsracer/formula type environment to really notice or benefit from the VERY small weight difference. The distance from the pivot pooint to determine the moment of inertia is going to be your neck muscles, and its not very far away from he CG of your head, so you won't have any noticeable added leverage in that respect either.

Most helmets are constructed very similarly these days, and the composites are almost identical. You can get a carbon helmet for well under $1k, and they are light, and ready off the shelf from several manufacturers. Since it only realistically lasts a couple seasons of racing (if that) you'd have to either be sponsored or very wealthy to be able to go through a 5-10K helmet every couple years...but then again lots of people are rich, so its not that big of a deal.
That is the theory - in practice heavy hats/helmets do feel heavier.

R+C
Old 06-30-2007, 08:03 PM
95m3racer
Pro

In karts and formula cars I've worn different helmets, and its not very noticeable, especially when you are comparing a high end carbon helmet to an 'f1' helmet. There is just not much to gain unless you are in an f1/p1/p2/etc type application. Its like the difference between the competition lightweight hans and the normal hans, its such a slight difference.

No doubt you'd obviously choose the lighter helmet...but I bet if we did a placebo test to see if someone actually noticed a difference, you'd come up with most false positives.

Last edited by 95m3racer; 06-30-2007 at 11:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Schuberth helmets