Novice looking for a DE/track car...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:01 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chulo
Rick is also a great source of advice when you want to spend money.
Beware - Ben speaks the truth.
Though I must admit, he and Paolo ended up with some very nice cars.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:13 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

The 986 rops does not offer as much head clearance as the 987 rops does.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:34 PM
ronbo56
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 944NA

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
Agreed, grab a 944, cage it, and go wild. you can easily sink 20k into a 944 and by that time you will have your race license and you can race in the 944 cup!

That and if the worst occurs you are not out that much money.
+1

Nothing says learning to drive like a normally aspirated 944.

I bought a well-maintained '86 for $5k, put $10k into the suspension and a few grand more into a cage, seats, harnesses, steering wheel, trailer, etc. (adds up fast!). It's a safe, nimble car that's a ton of fun and the downside really is pretty modest. Also, it's built to 944 Cup rules, so next year - bring it!

If I had more money and more experience I'd go with the RS America, and I wouldn't throw an SC out of my garage, but on a per $ basis you can't beat the 944.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:47 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

boxster S. pi icked mine up early this year in the low 20Ks. bought a safety devices roll cage for it. waiting to have it installed. stock supsension is too wallowy. a decent coilover suspension (pss9s) will transform the car.

local pca DEs allow the BK extension to be used. racing requires a cage.

the boxster is very easy to drive and the steering/handling is telelpathic. much more stable than my 996.

negative thing is that there is chassis flex. the safety devices cage should stiffen it some and a full weld in cage would transform the car. local fabricator quoted 3K for a cage. another problem with the boxster is the power steering fluid overheats and leaks but there is and undrive pulley that solves it.

good thing is that it is a modern porsche with plenty of parts. you can even use gt3 cup car suspension bits for it.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:55 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Karlooz:

Shhhhhhhh..... the only thing left is the 3.6 dry sump. They are lovely cars, PSS9's and GT3 LCA totally change the car: point and shoot
Old 06-26-2007, 08:59 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christian20
Karlooz:

Shhhhhhhh..... the only thing left is the 3.6 dry sump. They are lovely cars, PSS9's and GT3 LCA totally change the car: point and shoot

heh heh.

i love the handling. so much so that i am debating which car i should turn into the dedicated track car.... my 996 or 986S. the 996 has a stiffer chassis and a hard top.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:48 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by karlooz
heh heh.

i love the handling. so much so that i am debating which car i should turn into the dedicated track car.... my 996 or 986S. the 996 has a stiffer chassis and a hard top.
This is why I am getter closer and closer to a Cayman S for my track car. Coupe. Mid-engine. 295 HP. Great brakes. Very forgiving. Now, if used ones would just come down another $10k.
Look at the qualifying results from PCA Club Racing, Cayman S's pull times on par with the 993 RS which is a class up.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:14 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradisenb
This is why I am getter closer and closer to a Cayman S for my track car. Coupe. Mid-engine. 295 HP. Great brakes. Very forgiving. Now, if used ones would just come down another $10k.
Look at the qualifying results from PCA Club Racing, Cayman S's pull times on par with the 993 RS which is a class up.
i would go with the cayman S as well if they are in the 20K range. that'll be in another 4~5years.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Lou L
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm prejudiced, but I vote for the 968 - the great handling, balance and race parts of the 944, but with normally aspirated decent power. I have seen 968's becoming more and more competetive in PCA and its comfortable and reliable. (Gee, guess what I race)

Lou
Old 06-27-2007, 12:35 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker

Speaking of mid-engined p cars, are 914s an option? The six would do well, but have they become rare=$?
There is a guy that runs with us at Sebring in an awesome 914 that has great power and is modded up for the track. That car is very fast with what he has done.

I have not seen anyone mention a C5 Corvette. That car could be had in your price range and there are a ton of track accessories for it. The Vette would be a lot of fun too.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:48 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
There is a guy that runs with us at Sebring in an awesome 914 that has great power and is modded up for the track. That car is very fast with what he has done.

I have not seen anyone mention a C5 Corvette. That car could be had in your price range and there are a ton of track accessories for it. The Vette would be a lot of fun too.
c5? for a self professed novice?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:31 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by karlooz
c5? for a self professed novice?
Sure why not as long as he understands the quirks of the car and drives at 7/10ths while he learns. I drive a 2006 997S Cabriolet and guys turn there nose up at my car saying it is too much car for a beginner. However I am safe, leave my ego at home and am learning a lot and having an absolute blast.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:02 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Not that I get to track that much right now with my back but I have tracked my 993TT and both GT3s
(997 not yet but will) and I crew for a guy in VARA-
This is what I have picked up here-
get a 964 or SC 911 and explore the limits with this underpowered 911 (compared to your TT) and get everything out of it you can-You will then enjoy your TT more-It doesnt make sense to me (I am dense) to get a different kind of car- non rear engined -with your TT there. You may even want to track it once you discover how to drive a 911 correctly( I havent yet)

One other thing no one has mentioned speaking of VARA( Vintage Auto Racing association) You can go open wheel for really cheap- My buddy has a 1994 Van Deimon and he showed me one with trailer-spare motor wheels and lots of parts for $18K-looks like a small Indy car. 2 litre ford motor
which I think is the most used motor in the world-Really cheap-lots of parts and pretty easy to understand and work on- align etc. I dont think the the avon tires were overly expensive. I crew for him and those guys have a hoot. Any of those older cars are inexpensive to track and race.
VARA I think has a 25 year limit on stock cars like 911's 914 etc etc. But real race cars-formula fords
continental 2000's stuff like that are 10 years or something like that. If you are interested you can google VARA.

Quick Reply: Novice looking for a DE/track car...