Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panoz Racing School/Series to Merge with Skip Barber

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:53 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the track will continue to run them since Panoz still owns the track.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:12 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I'm talking about Sundays in the A group. Last year when I had Dunlop slicks, they said they would let me run that time, but slicks were out. Street tires and R compounds only from then on.

We used to run with the Braselton Driving Club before Panoz. Panoz took the idea, raised the price and there is less track time. I did the BDC and Panoz for years. They could have cars on the track by 8:30 if they didn't dilly dally around, have van arounds, etc.

Just my .02

Originally Posted by wanna911
There is nothing wrong with the Panoz Days in terms of track time, I have yet to hear one complaint of not getting enough time on track, ESPECIALLY if you run on sunday (you can get 3 hours track time easily). Are you reffering to DOT slicks or full slicks because I also have yet to see anyone get disqualified for running a certain kind of tires and I run Hoosier DOT slicks (2 grooves) myself along with several other people.

Maybe that's the way SB runs their programs but I assume all the people who packed the Panoz track days will now be at NASA, SCCA, BMWCCA, PBOC, PCA and Audi club events. There are several venues to get open laps at Road Atlanta but Panoz was my favorite because there was only three groups on saturday and two on sunday, you dont see that with very many groups.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:49 AM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran into Brian from Panoz in a retaurant and he indicated that while there was lots of chnages in the works, the track days would continue at least in '08. The days aren't racing, but they give far more good practice time than anybody's DE's do. Plus good instructors who will help if you ask for it.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:40 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
Yeah, I'm talking about Sundays in the A group. Last year when I had Dunlop slicks, they said they would let me run that time, but slicks were out. Street tires and R compounds only from then on.

We used to run with the Braselton Driving Club before Panoz. Panoz took the idea, raised the price and there is less track time. I did the BDC and Panoz for years. They could have cars on the track by 8:30 if they didn't dilly dally around, have van arounds, etc.

Just my .02

Ah ok I see, beginning of last year was my first event at RA and I have been to 7 since then so I dont know how it was before that time but I know of all the events that I have been to or even just spectated Panoz has had the most track time that I have seen, but yes there is some waisted time in there which maybe they have the luxury of doing because there are only 3 groupd max and 2 on sunday.

But I did call the Panoz office today and was told that the track days schedule would remain the same and that the skip barber program would have not effect on it. Now if skip barber decides not to retain the same instructors they may leave and that could cause some problems but for now I'm happy.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:20 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

The one good thing I liked about it was that it was 1/2 hour on and 1/2 hour off when we got going. You were able to go right back out and practice what you learned (or didn't). No sitting around for 2-3-4 hours.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:33 PM
MomentumGuy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, according to the Skip Barber e-mail I got last Friday, the July Track Days may be the last. July 14-15 on the list, September 15-16 has been replaced by a 3-day racing school, and there was no mention of anything in December.

Date
Course

July 9-10
Panoz Two Day Teen Program - $1095

July 14-15
Panoz Track Days - $600

July 18-19

July 23-25
Panoz 3 Day Road Racing - $3550
Skip Barber Mazda MX-5 Cup Racing School - $3550

July 26
Panoz Lapping - $1095
Skip Barber Mazda MX-5 Lapping - $1095

July 27-28
Panoz GT Race - $3550

July 29
Panoz 1 Day Advanced Handling - $595
Skip Barber One Day Driving School - $595

August 18-19
Skip Barber Two Day Driving School - $1095

August 20
Panoz 1 Day Road Racing - $1195
Skip Barber One Day Racing/Driving Combo - $1195

September 7-9
Panoz 3 Day Road Racing - $3550

September 10
Panoz Lapping - $1095
Skip Barber Mazda MX-5 Cup Lapping - $1095

September 11-12
Panoz 2 Day Advanced Road Racing - $3550

September 14-16
Skip Barber Three Day Racing School - $3550
Old 07-02-2007, 09:37 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

I got the email too. I looked up the Panoz site and they still have the Track Days dates listed.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:08 AM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let's sign up for September and see what happens! A few Miatas (excuuuuse me MX-5's) on the track with us would be NBD...
Don- will you be there July 14-15? Have you done your NASA race?

Cheers
Randy
Old 07-03-2007, 11:15 AM
MomentumGuy
Instructor

Hi Randy,

Sounds like a good idea - let the race school students out with the C group and make them work their way through traffic.

I signed up for Sunday (the 15th), but I'm planning to be up there on Saturday to drop the car off and hopefully get it through tech early. The NASA race won't be until August 11/12 - that gives me a month to figure out how to put a right-side net in the car.

Are you planning to go both days?
Old 07-03-2007, 03:57 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep I'll be there both days.
Right side net? Too many different rules for me to keep up with!
Old 07-07-2007, 12:35 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Hey guys. I just signed up for Sunday. I'll be in the Boxster (Red). Maybe we can find each other. I have visited these events on Sunday and found very few people there. If next Sunday is like that we should not have any trouble spotting the cars.
How does tech work at these events? Same as others? Inspection at Tech Shed? Anyone know the hours?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:18 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

The tech is pretty simple. At registration, you have an instructor look over your car. It's much less formal that any other DE. Won't take but a minute, as you do both before you enter the track.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:36 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I registration/tech think it's from 7:30 to 8:30 (and yes tech is just a visual by the instructors) with driver's meeting @ 8:30. I'll be in the car you see to the left here, Momentumguy will most likely be in the same 'hood. See you then! I think I can remember your name...
Cheers
Randy
Old 07-08-2007, 02:50 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Hey guys. I just signed up for Sunday. I'll be in the Boxster (Red). Maybe we can find each other. I have visited these events on Sunday and found very few people there. If next Sunday is like that we should not have any trouble spotting the cars.
How does tech work at these events? Same as others? Inspection at Tech Shed? Anyone know the hours?
Yeah tech is easy. You will find quite a few of Porsche Turbos and GT3's 996 and 997 by a trailor with the name Orton on it. Come over and chat with us, we'll be there the whole weekend, I wont be there till saturday afternoon because I have a wedding to attend that morning. I'm running on sunday though.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:36 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tech tips.

Well, I'm all ready but, when I took the car out for a test spin yesterday I found it has a very loud noise coming from the driver's rear. I think the CV Joint is bad. Could be bearings but the thumping sound, like a military transport helicoper is following just overheard, makes me think CJ. So, I'm here at my shop picking up my trailer so I can take the car to be repaired.
I noticed a slight noise at Barber last month but it went away so I concluded I had picked up some serious rubber or maybe it was a rough patch on the track. Good thing I did a test drive.

Quick Reply: Panoz Racing School/Series to Merge with Skip Barber