Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

good starter car for track days?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:13 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a student in a E30 318 and another in e36 318. Both were solid cars. In fact locally a E30 318 won its class in the 25 hours of Thunderhill a few years back.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:19 PM
JoelG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Anybody run BMW 318's as DE cars? Reason I ask is that I've seen some mid 90's 318ti's fairly cheap (the little 2 dr hatchback) and it looks like it would be a good momentum trainer. 140 hp and the same suspension as either the E30 or E36 (I forget which).
yes, the same suspension as either the E30 or E36. The front is the same as the other E36s, and the rear is the same as the E30.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
well, maybe I'm just a bad instructor...

but I had a student, in an elise, snap spin on turn in, no warning, totally unexpected... student was a past p-car driver, in advanced group... last session of day... it suprised him too.

The thing with the elise, was, it allowed driving an early apex, at 8-9/10's and it just stuck to the track, like it was on rails, no wash out, or front end plowing... when I expected it would.

yes, its a great car... for the advanced drover.

I think its kinda like a GT3, you gotta be going pretty fast to find its limit, otherwise, its such a good car, you'll get away with suff no other car would allow.

imho... of course.
Glad you guys are okay. Don't lift!!! I have one speed, 10/10ths, just ask my poor tires. The car understeers at the limit unless, of course, you are off the gas or turn in unsettled at the limit. The car will only snap at turn in if you are unsettled and not back on the gas.

Last edited by Doug H; 06-19-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:34 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
well, maybe I'm just a bad instructor...

but I had a student, in an elise, snap spin on turn in, no warning, totally unexpected... student was a past p-car driver, in advanced group... last session of day... it suprised him too.

The thing with the elise, was, it allowed driving an early apex, at 8-9/10's and it just stuck to the track, like it was on rails, no wash out, or front end plowing... when I expected it would.

yes, its a great car... for the advanced drover.

I think its kinda like a GT3, you gotta be going pretty fast to find its limit, otherwise, its such a good car, you'll get away with suff no other car would allow.

imho... of course.
lifted?
alignment went off?
these car usually dont snap spin, it dances a bit due to short wheel base, but shoudn't snap spin, if the driver was used to p cars. despite mid engine, elise exige is still rear heavy by a bit.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:42 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a little late to this party but IMHO you can't do better than what was reccomended to me by most of the senior instructors in my PCA club.

First buy a 944 S2 and drive it in a stock format for several DE's , then start upgrading as your skill level improves...

About 18 months later and a few $'s you'll end up with a car that can keep up with almost ANYTHING in the corners and not be too slow in the straights.

What ever you do enjoy the ride!
Old 06-19-2007, 06:43 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

doug,

i was the one who said elise has no power. let me be more clear, at 190 hp, by today's standard, it has no power, but i dont think it's slow. it has no wt so no power isn't a prob ;-)

someone mentioned that the car is not good for a total beginner, i agree. the car is on the "quick" side of handling. you need to make small adj all the way in order to be fast. that may be too much distraction at first.

finally, the car is not $$$, but if you tap ANTYING at ANY speed (like 2 mph) you would not believe how wide you have to open your wallet. a moronic suv kissed my nose in the parking lot. total damage (only front clam sheel and one headlight, zero structural damage, paint, labor etc ) $9980.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
doug,

i was the one who said elise has no power. let me be more clear, at 190 hp, by today's standard, it has no power, but i dont think it's slow. it has no wt so no power isn't a prob ;-)

someone mentioned that the car is not good for a total beginner, i agree. the car is on the "quick" side of handling. you need to make small adj all the way in order to be fast. that may be too much distraction at first.

finally, the car is not $$$, but if you tap ANTYING at ANY speed (like 2 mph) you would not believe how wide you have to open your wallet. a moronic suv kissed my nose in the parking lot. total damage (only front clam sheel and one headlight, zero structural damage, paint, labor etc ) $9980.
It would be nice to have another 50 hp. To over come lack of hp, the Elise will make you smooth and very sensitive to a car's natural line on the track. If you focus on not scrubbing speed, the car is amazingly quick. I was hanging with and running similar lap times to a well driven C5 Z06 and an APR tuned 996TT with 485 hp at the wheels driven by Ian Bass this weekend. I think Ian was suprised as after two or so laps, he slowed way down, pulled off to the side of the front straight, let me pass, and gave me a thumbs up.

I saw three 944s wreck this weekend so any car has potential to be a problem. . . I personally think the Elise is easy to drive and communicates well. If you learn to stay on the gas, the car is as stable as any car I have driven on the track. What scares me is instructing students with the high hp stuff, especially Z06s.

Last edited by Doug H; 06-19-2007 at 09:47 PM.

Quick Reply: good starter car for track days?