Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V-nose trailers (enclosed) - where to mount tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 09:59 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
Not bad, but I am looking for something longer and shorter. I am looking to do a stacker that is only 9 1/2' inside about 11' outside and long enough for a decent "shop" and a lounge area up in the gooseneck.
What do you mean 9'-1/2" inside, in height?? That should be interesting to see.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is the plan, 9' 2" in the "car" area to be exact. That provides enough height for two 996's, the lift deck and a few inches to spare on each. The "shop" area would be 6'6" headroom with a 28" storage loft above it. Half of the loft is accessed from the car area and half from the "lounge" above the gooseneck. The lounge is shorter, only 5'8", but enough for a couch, desk, TV, etc. The shop area would have tire racks, tool boxes, cabinets and a kitchen area with a refrigerator, microwave and sink. I poke my head into every trailer I see at the track looking for ideas. The concept is basically an 80% scale version of some of the semi's I have seen, just sized down to be under 25,000lbs.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:45 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for looking.

I can help you with a nice lounge too: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...7697&rd=1&rd=1
Old 06-18-2007, 10:36 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I used this Etrack.

I went to Lowe's and bought some 2X6's and I use a little strap in the middle to prevent the boards from bending. Tires are mounted over the tail of my car which is backed in the trailer behind the other car which we also back in. It is cheap and keeps the floor clear for other junk.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:19 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Originally Posted by John H
I used this Etrack.

I went to Lowe's and bought some 2X6's and I use a little strap in the middle to prevent the boards from bending. Tires are mounted over the tail of my car which is backed in the trailer behind the other car which we also back in. It is cheap and keeps the floor clear for other junk.
You used e-track in the nose of a v-nose trailer? I can see how you put it straight across when on parallel walls, but when you have a triangular shaped opening, how do you mount the back side support for those tires? If you had a box shape, you could put the one e-track and support beam a couple feet from the wall and put the tires in, and they would be supported by the wall on the back side. If you do that with a v-nose, the tires/wheels in the center have no backing because the wall is v-shaped. Guess I'm confused - do you have a pic?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:34 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Sorry. No I have a 45 foot gooseneck two car trailer.

My point was that you can use the etrack and 2X6's to make an easily removable rack across (above) either the hood or rear of the car from one side of the trailer to the other. I mounted my etrack so that the tire rack is in the center of the trailer above the rear of one car and the front of the other (cars are parked facing rear of trailer nose to tail). To get the second car out of the trailer, we have to unload the spares and remove the 2X6's, which is a pain. OTOH, if they were on the floor we'd have to unload them anyway.

Sorry for any confusion.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by schvetkaaks
Those of you with enclosed v-nose trailers, what did you do for a wheel/tire rack?
OK, I have a low-no racing budget and am very cheap, so I have a very small, modest, 16' custom V-nose ATC trailer, which is also used as an auxiliary garage at my small, modest house. My solution was to build two tire racks in the nose on either side of my compressor to maximize storage. I used galvanized steel pipe with threaded pedestal bases on the bottom of the uprights and a simple pipe clamp to hold the tops. Speed-Rail fittings are used for the crossmember of the rack and I use 2" dia. PVC pipe and nylon motorcycle hold-down straps thru the center of the wheels to secure them with the hooks led to eyebolts on the studs and floor at either side.

I have unfinished interior walls, so a single aluminum bar across the studs at mid-tire height keeps the tires from touching/denting the exterior trailer sheathing. I can carry three sets of tires and the trailer spare in them, and still have room to walk around the car. My trailer was made with a custom, 1' lower roof for aero and storage purposes (no standing headroom inside), so no room for tool cabinets or lounging around, just getting the car to the track and back, which it has done very well for the last 5 years, with trips to N. Cal., Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Texas and Indiana under it's wheels.
Attached Images       
Old 06-21-2007, 02:48 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Tom, that looks great - smart idea. I presume it is not bad for tongue weight as your truck probably has a 12k towing limit.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by schvetkaaks
Tom, that looks great - smart idea. I presume it is not bad for tongue weight as your truck probably has a 12k towing limit.
Ya--I load the 911 in front first so the engine weight is in the rear, plus I load my 3 small, heavy toolboxes in the far back next to the ramp. With everything loaded, I measured the tongue weight at 800 lbs. with an all-up weight of ~6000 lbs. I believe the F-250 PSD is rated for 12,000 lbs., with the towing package, and it hardly feels the trailer behind it.

TT
Old 06-21-2007, 07:44 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick Reply: V-nose trailers (enclosed) - where to mount tires?