Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007 | 11:59 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an instructor when I started back in '97 that couldn't drive a stick! Yet he was given to me. That was fun teaching him to drive a clutch as I went around LRP. Needless to say I asked for new guy after my first run.
Old 06-10-2007 | 09:23 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 841 Likes on 424 Posts

At my very first event in my then stock 914, my instructor told me "I'm not comfortable going this fast with stock seats & belts so I'm going to sign you off"...and he did.
Old 06-10-2007 | 09:48 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

My third DE instructor at LRP - "let's just stay to the outside all the way through big bend"
Me - "I like running the double apex line rather than the single apex line"
Instructor - "What's the double apex line?"
Me - "Nevermind"
Old 06-10-2007 | 10:24 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

first DE at the Glen...1st instructor was an ex military guy and all he could say was; "why the f*ck are you lifting?, I f*kning told you not to lift, what the f*ck is wrong with you?"....I immediatley got another insructor and had a great time....(thanks, Tommy Mac) by the time my first club race came around at LRP, I ran faster times than him( the military guy) high 58's to his 1:01's and his big bad GT1R turbo....needless to say, he is now out of the business of building and racing...I am sure some of you know of whom I am speaking...what a d*ck...
Old 06-10-2007 | 10:26 AM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i signed up for a track event with a club that i haven't ran with before. they put me in the advanced group and assign me an instructor to do a checkout ride. he gets in and says that he will be handling point bys!!! he wanted me to drive his line. all other lines are wrong. at the end of the session he says that my car has TONS OF POWER and i should consider driving something with less power...hmm
the funny thing is that i was driving a spec miata!!! i don't think that he was aware that using recreational drugs is not allowed during the event.
Old 06-10-2007 | 10:58 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Sean . . . did YOU feel that you were ready to go solo? If not, you should have asked around for another instructor. Most of my students run on stock seats and stock belts -- there's nothing wrong with that. Something tells me that a company like Porsche would not have installed those seats and belts if they were not confident that they are safe. In fact, I bet they far exceed standard safety requirements. As for the instructor -- if he was worried about his own safety, he should have been even more worried about your safety. He should have stayed in your car to make sure he showed you how to run safely.

I've had students who I felt were ready to go solo. But it is THEIR decision, NOT mine. I ASK them if they would like to try it out, but if they spin or go four wheels off, it's back in their car I will be. I think this is the way it should be. You paid your money, they are working for YOU. I hope that if any of you ever feels uncomfortable to run solo that you will voice this concern in the future.
Old 06-10-2007 | 12:25 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

I had an instructor once not say a word for the entire 20 minute session. A the end, he said, you may be wondering why I didn't say anything...I said "it crossed my mind"....he said there is nothing I can teach you on this track, you drive it pretty much perfectly...signed me off.

ya right...

I found another instructor...there is plenty I have to learn.
Old 06-10-2007 | 12:29 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

At one of my first DEs, my instructor's car broke on his first run, so he just packed up his stuff and left. Thanks buddy
Old 06-10-2007 | 01:55 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

sjanes . . . I hope you reported that instructor to the organizer. I know I'd not want him instructing for my group, that's for sure. I've instructed at events even when I didn't have my car. Committment is committment, car or no car.
Old 06-10-2007 | 04:32 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Navy

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

This particular Saturday morning, I was pleased to find my instructor did not have another student. This would be an opportunity to meet and spend some time with a dedicated track rat, and what a rat he was. Maybe we just started out wrong. At the driver's meeting when instructors were asked to raise their hands, I missed his hand going up. My fault. After the meeting was concluded, I was told where he might be and went to find him.

Next was an introductory run on the course for the green group that had never been on the track or a DE. As he settled in the car, I gave a brief introduction that I was as green as they come. I've had a year of seat time in the car, just driving and getting in the mountains when I can.

Halfway through the first introductory lap, he's yelling at me. If I remember his words correctly, they were "You are a f... greenie!". Now, we are in the second introductory lap and he's grabbing the steering wheel, while screaming, to keep me on line.

Oh s.... I'm a complete a'hole. Two simple laps around the track and I'm not only green, but a total f...-up a'hole that has absolutely no right to be in Driver's Education.

I've managed to get through the course twice under yellow. Now, the first run for the day for the green group is starting. I pick up my instructor and off we go. He has cooled down a bit, and I'm trying to start this morning off with a positive attitude.

We get to the carousel and again he is grabbing the steering wheel. For those that may be reading this and not familiar with this track, the carousel is turns 5 - 7 (of a 14 turn course) and a sweeping right hand turn. There are no obstructions if I should go off course. This is a yellow flag lap, and he's grabbing the steering wheel like I'm about to drive into a brick wall!

After this first lap, still under yellow, I pull into the pit area to try to calm myself down. We go back out and I manage to finish the first 20 minute session.

Just to inform everyone, I am 50 years old and have been berated many times in my 50 years, but after delivering my instructor to his chosen place of solitude, I'm in tears. My next session will not be on the track. My next session will be packing up and heading home, so much for my Driver's Education. I got educated, just not in the way I anticipated.

With a wavering voice and fighting to hold back the tears, I was informed that this was not proper instructor etiquette and I should ask for a different instructor. Talking to the chief instructor, I was given a new instructor. From there it was all uphill, or maybe I should say it was better and better, with every lap.

Saturday morning brought a grown man to tears. But with the professionals running this event, what could have been a total disaster, turned out to be a one of the top ten memorable events in this old man's life.

I've tried to be vague so as not to identify the instructor, the track, or the organization that was running this event. The track was great, the organization was excellent, the instructor was, well, nevermind.
Old 06-10-2007 | 04:52 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow, that sounds horrible. I'm glad somebody convinced you to get another instructor and stick with it. Now you can get on with your educational experience in your car. Instructors like the first one you mentioned should be banned from the group. That's just terrible.
Old 06-10-2007 | 05:04 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
sjanes . . . I hope you reported that instructor to the organizer. I know I'd not want him instructing for my group, that's for sure. I've instructed at events even when I didn't have my car. Committment is committment, car or no car.
Oh, the CI knew cause they had to scramble to get another instructor. This happened about 7 years ago and I haven't seen that instructor in many years (although I don't know why he left).
Old 06-10-2007 | 06:11 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

At one of the many events I've been to with an instructor with no car, I was able to hitch a ride with another instructor in a 911. This was at BeaveRun, and my 4th event ever. I was still plenty green, and the instructor commented on how I shouldn't be looking for a ride in a 911 since I don't drive one. He didn't understand I was just looking to see the line while a passenger. He made sure I understood not to try and do what he was about to do as he's very experienced and will probably be more capable than I. First lap out was slow, second lap he reminded me not to try and follow his line exactly, he then proceded to put 2 wheels off in a turn and then miss a shift. He then claimed there was something wrong with his car and pull into the pits to drop me off. Thanks for the ride.
Old 06-10-2007 | 06:47 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

My "worst" instructors by far have been the ones who sat in my car and said nothing. WTF do I need dead weight in my car?

Virtually everybody else (even if I have since learned to figure out that they were dead wrong) have provided valuable input. Even those that I think were dead wrong I at least had to think and drive for a bit to discover they were wrong. For the most part though, those who provided "harsh" criticism proved to be right, and it just took a couple of years for me to discover it.
Old 06-11-2007 | 08:38 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by sjanes
At one of my first DEs, my instructor's car broke on his first run, so he just packed up his stuff and left. Thanks buddy
That happens more then you think! He shouldn't be allowed to be an instructor anymore.

Quick Reply: Worst Instructor Thread