Sponsored by:

How fast do Hoosiers go off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 06:45 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Todd, overall the times were off in #2 compared to the first sprint. I found it more difficult to put down a good time in the second sprint. My times were off 1-2 seconds. My pressures were good, just didn't seem like I had the same grip.
What about the enduro? By the way, I think you are in the video clip I posted right at the beginning when I blew the start
Old 06-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Let's hope this doesn't turn into a "can I drove your car" thread

Hey.....pipe down, sugar booger.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:47 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's hope this doesn't turn into a "can I drove your car" thread
It will not. This thread is about real W2W racing, not DEs or "time trials" in the glorious farting dellyo.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Shiiiiiiitttttttt, I would race W2W in G-spot's car ANYTIME. It is mucho nice-o.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
What about the enduro? By the way, I think you are in the video clip I posted right at the beginning when I blew the start
Yeah, I was right next to you to the left at the start. I haven't seen the enduro times, I left before they were posted.

Anyone here have the orange group enduro results?
Old 06-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Larry,

That is an interesting point. I guess I should pull out the probe pyrometer.

Todd
I would definitely use pyrometer and adjust pressures accordingly after each run. This will not only make the wear longer, but the tires will obviously remain more consistent. I can keep my rears within about 5 degrees all the way across. The outer fronts may vary a little more depening on how bad I understeer which tends to happen as I start pushing my cars past their limits. Tire pressure guage is really only good for first run in the morining.

I thrash tires really bad consdering both of my track cars are below 1900 pounds. I only get about 3 days use out of tires whether they are R6s or R compounds. I may be able to stretch to 4 if I take the time to rotate them. I cord them before they heat cycle out and don't really notice any appreciable loss of grip before they are gone. My guess is they over heated and you were using less than the full width of the tire.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:11 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug:

I think alot of that depends on the track. VIR for instance, is very nice to tires (I think). If I go to Kershaw, or Rockingham, I can take a brand new set and trash them after a full weekend at either one (in some cases a single day).

VIR for example : if I stay on top of the pressures, rotate them after each day, etc, I can get about 7 days at VIR out of a set of tires with 4 sessions per day. Then it sort of depends on time of year/temp.

Interesting though that your lightweight car wears them so quickly...

Brian
Old 06-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Doug drives his Elise...um....VERY hard.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:16 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That helps wear 'em out too....

Like I said, I must be a pansie...
Old 06-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Not sure you are, but I made my comment after "painful" (read: fun) experience trying to stay ahead of him (admittedly in a much heavier car with truly ****ty Hankook tires) recently at Barber and not doing a very good job of it!
Old 06-05-2007, 11:20 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the results.

Sean you were 25th with a fast lap of 21.835.

Times were definitely off. Mike I. and Richter were both .5 to 1.0 seconds off fast lap for the weekend.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:53 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Not sure you are, but I made my comment after "painful" (read: fun) experience trying to stay ahead of him (admittedly in a much heavier car with truly ****ty Hankook tires) recently at Barber and not doing a very good job of it!
Yeah, that was fun. You were kicking *** for some ****ty tires. I may be in the minority, but I kind of like driving on less grippy R compounds. Hoosiers and slicks can feel a bit sterile or a bit boring at times.

I may be selling the Elise and just focusing on Formula after killing second gear in my tranny twice at Barber in less than two months. I loose too much time short shifting or staying in 3rd in the hair pin and turn 8 and at $ 8,000 a pop, its kind of expensive to kill second gear.

Brian:

You are correct about tracks. Tracks with tights turns such as hair pins, 90s and back to back 90s or even high speed carousels will wear tires quickly. I have killed fronts on my home track in 1 day on the back to back 90s.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I really like Toyos, Doug. Lots of slip angle, nothing sterile, but predictable & easy to set up w/o too much fussing with pressures throughout the day (unless the weather starts at 45 degrees & ends up 95 degrees LOL). But those Kooks were just nasty and very unpredictable after about 2 laps, pretty much every signle time out. Hey, at least they were consistent!

If you sell the car, with whom will I play next year at Barber???????

Quick Reply: How fast do Hoosiers go off?