Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Obnoxious DE instructor

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 06:25 PM
agio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Acropora, a good thread here. I don't necessarily agree with you about the instructor--not enough information. But I can tell you this: on track is a serious bit of business. Your instructor could have been bad in terms of "social skills," but was he consistent and did he teach you and did you learn anything (other than this instructor and you didn't get along? Is it at all possible that you were unsafe or driving over your head (= 200mph car with a 70mph brain). I'm certainly not saying this to diminish your skills, but if you are truly introspective and feel that you were not out of line, then no doubt the instructor needs some mentoring.
If he is truly a bad one, it's the exception rather than the rule.
As far as your arm on the window sill or any place other the the steering wheel, you are wrong. With the exception of the obvious (shifting), you hands must be on the wheel...even in the hot pits. Get the good habits now so when you do solo, you will have developed the right habits.
"AW" I agree with you.
Also, as been said before, talk to the chief instructor to get re-assigned. If your uncomforable with the instructor, he may also be uncomfortable with you...and it could be neither's fault...just a chemical imbalance.
If you have run in 50 events (unless I've misunderstood), you should go for a check out ride for solo.
As a check out ride instructor, in case you're interested, I won't even consider going out with a prospsective solo candidate if they can't define the flags perfectly...I won't even get into their car.
Solo and above, and even advanced students, must know the flags cold, do you truthfully know them now?
Old 06-03-2007, 06:48 PM
JayP
Pro

Originally Posted by agio
I won't even consider going out with a prospsective solo candidate if they can't define the flags perfectly...I won't even get into their car.
Harsh, but necessary though.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:59 PM
agio
Racer

Jay, I've had an experience with a solo driver who wanted to be considered instructor material. He didn't know the flags and almost missed a vital flag...very scary.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:03 PM
agio
Racer

Acropora,
Sorry, this is not piling on, but at our events, if the driver or the passenger has their arm on the sill, it's a black flag for both the instuctor and the student! Racers have nets on their windows--there are good reasons for this protocol.
And, I'm not that harsh...:-))
Old 06-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Hmmm . . . I thought the nets were there to annoy you.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:43 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bonster
50 track days? WTF? That's absolutely rediculous. I think you need to go to the organizer or the lead instructor and ask for a check-off ride (from a different instructor) and go solo. Shoot -- I know some RACERS with less seat time. Good luck!
WHOA, typo on the first digit. More like 30 days, but still not a newbie. It's not all with one group either.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 820 Posts

Acropora,
Sorry, this is not piling on, but at our events, if the driver or the passenger has their arm on the sill, it's a black flag for both the instuctor and the student! Racers have nets on their windows--there are good reasons for this protocol.
And, I'm not that harsh...:-))

In our area, that is how instructors get out of riding in cars/drivers that scare them: stealthily hang their right arm out the window until they are black flagged.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by OriginalSterm

He's also the only instructor to never sign me off in almost 50 track days.
***Well, even with your typo, 30 days is still enough to go solo. That's still insane. And it shouldn't really matter what groups you've run with. Start getting your instructors to write up a little something for you at these events, and ask them to include their email addy or phone number. This way you can prove that you have references. Even the worst driver on Earth should go solo afer even ten track days, let alone thirty.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:10 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been solo at almost everyone of them, except with this one instructor.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,288 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
FTY asks about a certain instructor.

Was he an older guy, a German?
No , he was I guess in his 40's...may have been german, not sure. Was really nice guy..Im sure hes stilla round somewhere......Met him at Pocono, did two days with him as an instructor. I think It may have been 2004. I gotta find my green little book.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Found it ...name is Tom Masino...anyone know who he is. Really nice guy...was my first event (2 days) and recommended me to yellow at the next track event. Event was sept 10 2004.

THIS GUY.....

Last edited by Graufuchs; 06-03-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:01 PM
agio
Racer

Velocity, I don't ride with students that scare me. It's quite simple: the first agenda item is to safeguard the instructor (that's me). I tell each and every student, "we're not going to scare each other, are we!"
There is no stealth with me. If, as an instructor, you really feel unsafe and remain with that student or, just as bad, hand them off to some other instructor is an inexcusable and irresponsible act for all drivers. A truly unsafe driver who can't be controlled by a competent instructor, should take up another sport. It's that simple.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:47 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fty
No , he was I guess in his 40's...may have been german, not sure. Was really nice guy..Im sure hes stilla round somewhere......Met him at Pocono, did two days with him as an instructor. I think It may have been 2004. I gotta find my green little book.

MY god ! Sounds like he got Pole Position as his instructor , wait , nah , mid-forties , nahh, Pole is 72 .....
Old 06-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

hahahaa
Old 06-03-2007, 11:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 820 Posts

Velocity, I don't ride with students that scare me. It's quite simple: the first agenda item is to safeguard the instructor (that's me). I tell each and every student, "we're not going to scare each other, are we!"
There is no stealth with me. If, as an instructor, you really feel unsafe and remain with that student or, just as bad, hand them off to some other instructor is an inexcusable and irresponsible act for all drivers. A truly unsafe driver who can't be controlled by a competent instructor, should take up another sport. It's that simple.

Dude.

It was a joke.

Quick Reply: Obnoxious DE instructor