Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a better instructor communicator than the Chatterbox?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 04:43 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Is there a better instructor communicator than the Chatterbox?

I have yet again damaged my student communicator; it must be me, but I need something more substantial. These things are too darn delicate for hopping in and out of student cars, dealing with 6-point harnesses, HANS devices, glasses, and my helmet.
I will never be able to pay for my tow vehicle repair if I have to keep shelling out $30 every few events.
Is there a better instructor/student communicator out there?
Old 06-01-2007, 04:47 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Chatterbox is the best I've found. Way better than the POS Nady brand, they crap out without any help just sitting there.

I use an open face helmet and have my communicator mounted on the helmet. Less likley to be damaged. I ask the student to remove his/her helmet and let their headset just fall out. That avoids pulling on the microphone stalk which is death to the headset.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PJorgen
I ask the student to remove his/her helmet and let their headset just fall out. That avoids pulling on the microphone stalk which is death to the headset.
Absolutely correct. I don't make them remove the helmet, but I tell them to grab it by the earpiece and not the mic stalk.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:23 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Rick, did Mindy give you back the foam thingie for the chatterbox mike that I found in the car?

MHM
Old 06-01-2007, 08:56 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mhm993
Rick, did Mindy give you back the foam thingie for the chatterbox mike that I found in the car?

MHM
She did - that was chapter 1 in my loss; damn thing came off again with student, was never seen again.
Maybe I shouldn't have signed him off until it was found (actually, he was a really good student and deserving of a sign off).
I'd love to ride with you again; hope you both had a good drive home. See you soon.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:02 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't found anything better than the chatterbox, but I wish the manufacturer would jump into the 21st century and do a bluetooth or other wireless setup!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:19 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here! Here! on the Bluetooth version. I bought a Chatterbox after my first instructor did not have one, my second did and WOW what a difference the experience was for me with it. I hard wired my helmet. I place the unit in the center and offer the instructor a slip in or they can plug in their own.

Rick,
I assume your are not having trouble with the electronics box, just thestudent's ear peice. The trick is being gentle when slipping in and out. I have had the foam covers pulled off and almost lost but no damage. Of course mine probably does not see the amount of use as yours.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have been instructed with and without one and it does make a huge difference to be able to hear.

Oh well, like Randy, I bought my own and will hard wire it into my helmet so I'll be ready if the instructor does not have one.

Marc
Old 06-01-2007, 10:24 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
I have been instructed with and without one and it does make a huge difference to be able to hear.
I agree completely. When one instructor I was with didn't have one, all I can remember making out clearly above the roar of the engine and screeching of tires was something like "We're gonna die!"....
Old 06-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lawjdc
I haven't found anything better than the chatterbox, but I wish the manufacturer would jump into the 21st century and do a bluetooth or other wireless setup!
Chatterbox is the best available for now, but no bluetooth. They obviously need some competition; the market is wide open.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:22 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Marc Use industrial or heavy duty velcro to secure pieces in your helmet. The factory stuff did not work for me. Too weak.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:25 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

A bit OT but nto really Schuberth has Bluetooth helmets...it's coming...
Old 06-02-2007, 12:35 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw

Oh well, like Randy, I bought my own and will hard wire it into my helmet so I'll be ready if the instructor does not have one.

Marc
OK, this is the answer - I will let the students bring their own!
Actually, I am impressed with your dedication to learning. But, you shouldn't have to bring your own; us instructors should all have them with us.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:18 AM
mnorek
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rick, I would be interested to see if someone has run across a better inexpensive solution. The ultimate solution would be to take an Autocom intercom system, install one headset in your helmet permanently and use a donor boom from one of your junk chatterbox systems to create a 2nd, moveable headset for your students.

The Autocom system is the best I have ever used and I have tested it at 160 mph on a motorcycle--it is amazing. Added benefits are that you can listen to a nice background playlist from an ipod or XM radio (music turns down/off when you speak) or take bluetooth telephone calls while instructing.

I have an Autocom system but given my fear of forgetting to collect the $115 headset from a student, I just use a chatterbox.

Michael
Old 06-02-2007, 10:04 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree, Chatterbox best so far...

I tried some FRS radios w/VOX but the delay didn't work well, and the nady has same weakness as the chatterbox student unit. the cord...

FWIW, I added some self vulcanizing tape (sailing rigging tape), to help beef up the connections on the chatterbox and nandy's.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...allpartial/0/0

Quick Reply: Is there a better instructor communicator than the Chatterbox?