Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a better instructor communicator than the Chatterbox?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 11:10 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mnorek
. . . The Autocom system is the best I have ever used and I have tested it at 160 mph on a motorcycle--it is amazing. Added benefits are that you can listen to a nice background playlist from an ipod or XM radio (music turns down/off when you speak) or take bluetooth telephone calls while instructing. l
The roller coaster at Disneyland plays Red Hot Chili Peppers music now - really adds to the ride. You could take a student for a "warm up lap" with the music pounding through the system. That would really wake em up!
Old 06-02-2007, 11:34 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I too am really happy with my chatterbox. I cut out a little foam from the ear area in my helmet, and tucked the two ear pieces behind the helmet liner material for the "stealth" install. Now no more worrying about the velcro failing or those darned foam covers coming off.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:46 AM
mein51
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you having trouble with the wire pulling out from the students headset?
I have the wire zip tied to the microphone boom so when the student pulls down on the wire to remove the headset, they're just loading up the zip tie instead of the wire connections. Just remember to use a small enough zip tie positioned in such a way so it doesnt scratch their face.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:34 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

There are several Bluetooth intercoms out there targeting the bike riders, but none are well suited to use with multiple drivers/students. The weak link is always going to be that removeable student earpiece. I've wondered if it couldn't be done with an external transducer that would transmit the sound through the helmet, allowing a wireless device to be attached with elastic straps or suction cups. Business opportunity here?
Old 06-02-2007, 12:55 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
The roller coaster at Disneyland plays Red Hot Chili Peppers music now - really adds to the ride. You could take a student for a "warm up lap" with the music pounding through the system. That would really wake em up!
I'm thinking Ride of the Valkyries (sp?) might be nice.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:58 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mein51
I have the wire zip tied to the microphone boom so when the student pulls down on the wire to remove the headset, they're just loading up the zip tie instead of the wire connections. Just remember to use a small enough zip tie positioned in such a way so it doesnt scratch their face.
Hi Jake
Thanks for the hint, but I am already using the zip tie. It is an excellent idea, though.
What I seem to do is 1) lose the foam windscreen (not too bad) 2) break off the plastic tip that covers the mike electronics and (my latest) 3) have the little electronic guts start spilling out of the boom.
I keep wondering what will fail next.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:00 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Rick, I would be interested to see if someone has run across a better inexpensive solution. The ultimate solution would be to take an Autocom intercom system, install one headset in your helmet permanently and use a donor boom from one of your junk chatterbox systems to create a 2nd, moveable headset for your students.

The Autocom system is the best I have ever used and I have tested it at 160 mph on a motorcycle--it is amazing. Added benefits are that you can listen to a nice background playlist from an ipod or XM radio (music turns down/off when you speak) or take bluetooth telephone calls while instructing.

I have an Autocom system but given my fear of forgetting to collect the $115 headset from a student, I just use a chatterbox.

Michael
Hi Mike
Your fear of losing the expensive communicator is probably a good one.
Does your family know about the 160 mph cycle rides?
Old 06-02-2007, 06:17 PM
mnorek
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Heh heh, I was thinking Flirtin' With Disaster by Molly Hatchet or Never Scared by Bone Crusher.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:30 PM
mnorek
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
...Does your family know about the 160 mph cycle rides?
Yes, and I'm dumb enough to wonder why my stable of bikes went from over-stuffing my garage to "Boy, I wish I had a bike."

If you're going to Tremblant with NER and are considering the Autocom route, I can bring mine up, just let me know. Cheers.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:15 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, and I'm dumb enough to wonder why my stable of bikes went from over-stuffing my garage to "Boy, I wish I had a bike."

If you're going to Tremblant with NER and are considering the Autocom route, I can bring mine up, just let me know. Cheers.
That would be great.
You bet I'll be there - 3 days at that track + the Blues Festival; Joanie, Jeremy, and his buddy CJ will be along as well.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:17 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,905 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Originally Posted by mein51
I use duct tape which seems to work well. Chatterbox is the best I've tried. Waiting for the bluetooth as well.

Quick Reply: Is there a better instructor communicator than the Chatterbox?