Sponsored by:

Yoko A008R - reverse mount?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 12:37 AM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yoko A008R - reverse mount?

(cross post with the wheels and tires section)

Have a set of older (yeah...i know -OLD) A008R's that have a few more track days left in them. That is, if I reverse mount them. Tires are supposedly "unidirectional" .

Anyone know if you can run them backwards?

Google search and forums search turns up nothing.

TIA!

Jeff
Old 06-02-2007, 12:39 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

You can run them backwards, I have, but that was in 1992, and they were the RSII which were a couple of generations newer. It isn't ideal, but with those tires being as old as they are you wouldn't notice a difference if you mounted them backwards, forwards, inside out, or inflated them to 75psi.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's very good, Joe.

Jeff: I think what Joe means (although you probably don't need the translation), is that used A008Rs from a previous century really don't have a few more track days left in them. Press your thumb nail into the tread rubber to see if they are petrified yet.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:10 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

If you want some cheap tires that are fresh call up John Berget. He gets takeoffs from all the pro series and has great prices.

http://www.jbracingtires.net/

They'd be better, but ultimately they'd be MUCH safer too. I wouldn't trust A008R tires going into turn 2 at Pacific Raceways.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Thx for the pointer. The rubber's half decent - they were stored inside and have some life left. Nothing race quality but good enough for some basic lapping.

I'll see what John Berget can do. Also looking at some local suppliers for some RA1s. Seems like the stock sizes for the 951 are not carried by many suppliers.

Joe - sig says WI - just a bit away from us out there in the state of Washington. How are you familiar with Pacific Raceways?

Jeff
Old 06-02-2007, 09:26 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jeff N.
Thx for the pointer. The rubber's half decent - they were stored inside and have some life left. Nothing race quality but good enough for some basic lapping.

I'll see what John Berget can do. Also looking at some local suppliers for some RA1s. Seems like the stock sizes for the 951 are not carried by many suppliers.

Joe - sig says WI - just a bit away from us out there in the state of Washington. How are you familiar with Pacific Raceways?

Jeff
My whole family is from Seattle area, went to school in Walla Walla and spent a little time out there in Western WA, never much time on the track unfortunately. I have a few buddies that have a fair amount of experience at the track and talk about it a lot.

John Berget is a good guy and everything I've gotten from him has been great.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
John Berget is a good guy and everything I've gotten from him has been great.
+1. I bought my second set of track tires from him.
First set were scrounged from the truck at a Firehawk race - probably 20 years ago.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:25 AM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

ah...suspected some local ties. Pacific Raceways is an interesting track, nothing like what you guys have back you way. New ownership has been putting some money in the facility lately which has sort of been both a good and bad thing. Good thing is that the facilities are better and the track area is improved. The bad thing is that the usage is increasing and it's getting harder for the local clubs to get weekend driving dates.

What tracks are you running?

Quick Reply: Yoko A008R - reverse mount?