Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 01:34 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Helmets

Going to buy a new helment, aiming to hit the track this summer at the local track.

is there anything specific one should look for when getting a new helmet?

Is there a difference between bike helments and car helmets or are they the same?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2007, 02:03 PM
fork_included
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Going to buy a new helment, aiming to hit the track this summer at the local track.

is there anything specific one should look for when getting a new helmet?

Is there a difference between bike helments and car helmets or are they the same?

Thanks!
bike helmets (M rating) are designed for one big serious crash afterwhich they should (theoreticaly) be replaced

car helmets are designed for multiple tiny impacts (due to the helmet bouncing off the roll cages now and then)

other than that, the pricer a helmet is, chances are it is a) lighter b) has more features c) better cloth/more ergonomic design

dont forget that to get a hans device a helmet needs to be modified with the appropriate tabs, the more expensive helmets will usualy come pre-build

also, try to get white, less heat
Old 05-31-2007, 02:04 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

The thing to look for first is, fit and second is does it meet the regulations set forth by the people you are driving with.

Bike helmets are usually not built with fireproof lining and require are larger eyeport.
Car helmets can have a smaller opening and have a fire proof lining.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fork_included
bike helmets (M rating) are designed for one big serious crash afterwhich they should (theoreticaly) be replaced

car helmets are designed for multiple tiny impacts (due to the helmet bouncing off the roll cages now and then)
Argggg.....

This misinformation keeps getting passed around as gospel. It's not. It's just not that simple. Some helmets may be designed differently for cars and/or for bikes, but certainly not all (other than Nomex liner). There have been many shells that manufacturers use for both bike and car helmets.

What is different is the requirements to meet the different Snell ratings. For the run down on this go directly to the source:

http://www.smf.org/

The basic differences in the ratings are:

1) Size of the allowed or required eye port
2) SA must have a fire resistant liner
3) SA must pass one additional anvil test

All helmets that have been impacted should be replaced immediately.

other than that, the pricer a helmet is, chances are it is a) lighter b) has more features c) better cloth/more ergonomic design
Chances are, yes. But not necessarily. G-Force SA helmets are budget priced, all are constructed of Kevlar/Fiberglass, and the quality is better than any Bell or Simpson I've owned or seen (I've owned 3 Bells and 1 Simpson before my G-Force).
Old 05-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

I'm not sure if this is an accurate representation of the situation. As I understand it, bike helmets must only meet a single impact test. Car helmets, a multi-impact test. In most cases, I bet the motorcycle helmets would pass the multi-impact test...in some cases, the two helmets are built from the same shell by the manufacturer anyway. It has nothing to do with the normal, day to day touches of the helmet to the roll bar. After any impact involving ANY helmet, the helmet should be replaced, period.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:22 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the Snell Memorial Foundation site:

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?
The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

1. The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
2. The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
3. The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi impact test while M standard does not.

If you read the actual test protocols, IIRC you will find the only difference is the addition of a 3rd anvil test. Bikes have to pass with two anvils. Also, IIRC both get multiple impacts on each anvil. It's been a while since I read both protocols, but I'm pretty sure that's it. The third anvil is the so-called "rollbar multi impact" test.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:30 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
The thing to look for first is, fit and second is does it meet the regulations set forth by the people you are driving with.

While I agree with this, I would switch the order. Make sure it passes the safety requirement of the clubs in your area. If you don't have a motorcycle, get SA rated. Many clubs won't allow M helmets.

If this will be your first track venture, maybe renting a helmet to see if you even like the track is the better path.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:52 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Make sure the helmet fits correctly, other than that and is the helmet legal for your sactioning body/application, the only other queston is how much is your head worth?
Old 05-31-2007, 03:05 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Get one that fits while wearing a Balaclava too. They make the helmet smell better longer.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:03 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
Get one that fits while wearing a Balaclava too. They make the helmet smell better longer.

Yep... Balaclavas great to reduce sweat in the linings, and as cooley said... test fit with the balaclava. Otherwise a good fit with out will be tight withone.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:37 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Once you setle on the ratings, fit is the most important aspect of buying the helmet. I recommend you do not do this over the internet or phone. I recently purchased an SA rated helmet and tried on about a dozen different makes and models. Some of the more expensive helmets did not necessarily fit better or have a superior eyeport. I ended up buying a lower priced SA rated helmet based on fit not cost.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2007, 06:59 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, never knew there was so much into a helmet, good thing i posted here then, thanks everyone for this.

Now, the problem is, i cannot find a shop that sells helmets that fit me, i was going to get one online, but looks like it wouldn't be for the best.

What about those car helmets that look like bike helmets, the ones with a visor to cover you're eyes, is that a more desired feature to keep everything away from you're eyes incase (god forbid) a crash/roll over occures?
Old 05-31-2007, 07:00 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

I would look into the arai helmets , These are specially made to absorb major frontal impacts without damage , Tony kaana wears one to protect his snout ..
Attached Images   
Old 06-01-2007, 01:12 AM
924Superwagen
Burning Brakes

I'm in the same boat now... any comments on the new Zamp helmets?
Old 06-01-2007, 01:51 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Let me also ask if anyone has any comments on Schuberth helmets -- I hear Schumacher wears one, but I haven't seen these in any of the NY/NJ/CT shops I've been to.

Quick Reply: Helmets