Too much Nascar on SPEEDTV

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007 | 03:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by smlporsche
You would think the way the France family has their fingers in everything NASCAR that they would just start their own cable channel. They certainly have the a$$ets to do it
Yup, lowest common denominator demographics always wins in marketing.

Sorry, but for some reason the ALMS/Rolex thing reminds me of the IRL/Champ Car thing.
The Daytona Prototype (perhaps the ugliest road racing prototype ever) looks like the forerunner of the NA$CAR Car of Tomorrow. They certainly have the money to make Rolex Grand Am defeat ALMS.
Of course JC France needed a ride, so why not just create a whole series while you're at it. The family owns Daytona, hence the Rolex 24....much like Tony George owning IMS and hence the Indy 500 (or what it's been reduced to)

Originally Posted by smlporsche
That way the rest of us can go back to watching SPEED VISION in peace!!
I miss Speedvision. Speed isn't even close.
Old 05-17-2007 | 04:04 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Wow, Dave made the baby Jesus cry! Wow, ever had a day at work like that! I would have loved to be the guy on the phone waiting to ask "Why is there so much NASCAR on Speed?" There is ya know.
Old 05-17-2007 | 04:24 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

That was a solid rant. I like him much more now.
Old 05-17-2007 | 05:13 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
+1

The France family turned Nascar into the hillbilly cousin of professional wrestling.

LOL, what kind of analogy is that ? nascar has always been a hillybilly show and now it is the biggest and most popular and speed is the nascar channel , who has so graciously allowed and payed
for bernies f1( european hillybilly pro wrstling ) so the rest of us can complain , yeah it is crap compare to speedvision , but i save myself from that depressed thinking by remembering when i used to have to watch motor racing on that craphole ESPN,

ESPN! yep,when the pom pom girls would cut into the race before the end ....Ahhhh, with that thought, it make's it easier to say , Thank you Nascar! Mr France , it might be crap to what it used to be, but at least we have a dedicated motorhead channel to work with for F1 , moto Gp and the verrry tape delayed sportscar and touring car races ...Cheers
Old 05-17-2007 | 05:44 PM
M758
Race Director

I don't watch speed any more except for F1 and Set-up. I watch F1 because it is F1 and set-up because I know one of the guys on the show (local PCA guy and former autocross student) and raced on track (albiet in a different class in 70 car field) with another guy on the show. If it were not for those ties I proably would have never tuned in or stayed. Otherwise no speed anymore.
Old 05-17-2007 | 05:50 PM
cupcar86
Advanced

I remember when Speed had touring cars on all the time - British (BTCC), German (DTM) and Australian. It might be me but I can never find anything like that anymore. I can only take so many Nascar Tech shows (perhaps an oxymoron) and I'm actually a Nascar fan.
Old 05-17-2007 | 06:31 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc
Of course JC France needed a ride, so why not just create a whole series while you're at it. The family owns Daytona, hence the Rolex 24....much like Tony George owning IMS and hence the Indy 500 (or what it's been reduced to)
I gues I never put 2 and 2 together. So am I now correct in assuming that JC France of Brumos fame is part of the NASCAR France's family??

Oh what a tangled web we weave......
Old 05-17-2007 | 06:48 PM
JC3D
Pro

JC3D and JC France have no affiliation..... Please don't make that mistake.
Old 05-17-2007 | 09:45 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

FWIW that rant is from 2003. Dave claimed the following night it was tongue in cheek.

Here's another quote of his I like.

I'm asked a lot if I think this or that form of racing (and I've
heard everything from rally to motocross) will ever be as popular in America as it is in Europe. My answer is always "No" because there's a big difference between America and Europe.

It's the difference between the Autobahn and the Montana Interstate speed limit, which marked the death of common sense in U.S. transportation.

Europe is different...it's the difference between scooters filtering to the front at stoplights then going on their way when the light changes, and road rage maniacs shooting each other in stop-and-go logjams.

...the difference between Italian stuff and most of what we get from Detroit and Japan. The word you're looking for is "passion."

It's the difference between people who can't grasp the "Keep Moving" sign beside the right turn lane, and people who don't need that sign in the first place.

...the difference between parking your bike next to four old men who walk over and comment on the make and model, then drop the name of the '50s GP star who made the brand famous, and pulling into the same spot here and noticing the old men edge away a couple steps (except for the one who yells, "Wow, is that a Harley?").

It's the difference between automotive performance that only exists in TV commercials, and the same thing found every day, in real life - and appreciated, not looked down on.

...the difference between seeing one comin' fast in the mirror and moving right, and not having looked in the mirror since your last make-up job.

In Europe, the majority of people "get" this car and motorcycle thing. The American masses don't. Responsibility lies with a dumbed down, National Nanny, lowest common denominator Transportation Bureaucracy that insures a driver's license to anyone who can fog a mirror, then mandates a bags-and-belts cocoon to protect them when they run into each other, which is inevitable because they have no idea what they're doing out there.

Bottom line...a culture that can't grasp "slower traffic keep right" is not fertile ground for the growth of sophisticated forms of motor racing. If you live here and you "get" it, savor your place among the enlightened few, but don't expect the guys around the water cooler to share your appreciation of the German Touring Car series.
Old 05-17-2007 | 10:47 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Right on Tod.
Old 05-18-2007 | 02:46 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by cupcar86
I remember when Speed had touring cars on all the time - British (BTCC), German (DTM) and Australian. It might be me but I can never find anything like that anymore. I can only take so many Nascar Tech shows (perhaps an oxymoron) and I'm actually a Nascar fan.
Nope it's not you...I posted earlier that I enoyed the old Speed Channel because of all the differnt types of racing like Touring car to Offshore Boat racing.
Old 05-18-2007 | 01:14 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Nascar... How about the guys drag racing Harleys on dirt, while dragging a chick behind them on a tire??? Then the chick has to get off the tire and RUN back to the start/finish line.

Holy crap!! that was 10 minutes of my life, I wish I could get back!

Anyone see that!!! Surely there was something else going on in the world were we didn't have to watch that!

Speed is not what it used to be..
Old 05-19-2007 | 11:56 AM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evil 944t
Nascar... How about the guys drag racing Harleys on dirt, while dragging a chick behind them on a tire??? Then the chick has to get off the tire and RUN back to the start/finish line.

Holy crap!! that was 10 minutes of my life, I wish I could get back!

Anyone see that!!! Surely there was something else going on in the world were we didn't have to watch that!

Speed is not what it used to be..
The mere fact that you sat through 10 whole minutes of that is what's amazing!
Old 05-19-2007 | 12:16 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trackjunky
The mere fact that you sat through 10 whole minutes of that is what's amazing!
In some odd way, I couldn't change the channel. LOL!!!!

Quick Reply: Too much Nascar on SPEEDTV