jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

And "only" $500! I'll take three!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:11 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

isn't the cooler in a cool shirt system just some aluminum tubing inside a cooler?

why not replace the cooler with a 12v fridge/freezer and add that alum tubing? (like Jack said earlier)

these work well:

Amazon Amazon

just cut some holes for the tubes, and seal it up with 3m 5200.

edit... just saw the post dates.... wow! old thread..
Old 02-27-2013, 10:52 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
And "only" $500! I'll take three!
... good point

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
Those engels are great - owned one for years which I used across Africa - but way too heavy and cost $800.

This looks worthwhile/solid/easy to use ... veskimo
Old 02-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

isn't the cooler in a cool shirt system just some aluminum tubing inside a cooler?
No. Cooler contains ice with water and the cold water is pumped directly through shirt.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:16 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

-what's to stop replacing the cooler with a fridge, *other than weight and cost?

Yes, you would still need water and ice, but it would last indefinitely. if the fridge was set to say 35degrees...

attach a pump to the outside w/ a timer or volume control sw..

but yeah, $800 would buy a lot of ice...

-you can get a propane fridge too... but that might be hard to get past tech....
Old 02-27-2013, 04:49 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I looked into this, and even bought one of these Coleman Stirling Power Coolers, which cost about $450. It's a 12V cooler that will freeze water or keep it very cool.

I think it's a bad idea for a race car, since the cooler is heavy and takes a while to cool down enough to be helpful. My idea was to make a seat cover out of the tubing from a Cool Shirt and have the thing function as a kind of air conditioning for long drives to tracks. I think it was a viable idea, but I had my first kid about the time I was putting it together, and now (with two of them), it's still going to be a while before I'm traveling to tracks that are six hours or more from home.

For racing, my plan was to swap in an ice-filled cooler. Less weight, that way.

I tried the freon cans on a track day, once, but wasn't happy with the results. I think the little ice chest is the best way to go.

But if I start driving to the farther-away tracks again, I might put together the electric version. Unlike actual (installed) air conditioning, it can be taken out when you want to lose the weight.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:13 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Well the engle mt35 (34qt) is 46.3lbs. -actually less than I thought...

http://www.engel-usa.com/index.php?p...hk=1&Itemid=59

and mt17 (16 qts) is 37#...

http://www.engel-usa.com/index.php?p...mart&Itemid=59

coolshirt cooler is 24qts at 4#...

http://shop.coolshirt.com/p/club-sys...es?pp=25&pp=25

the question for me would be if the fridge could take the track abuse...
Old 02-27-2013, 10:13 PM
LostSouth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Peltier-type cooling is nothing new. I wish the Koolbox people would publish some actual data about how much cooling their stuff is able to do. For $6500, it'd be nice to see some real numbers.

I wonder how difficult it would be to plumb a water-based exchanger into a street car's existing evaporator?
Take a look at aquarium chillers. You would have to add a small pump to circulate the water, but from a circulation standpoint, they work the same way as the cool suits.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:58 PM
HiWind
Race Car

the question for me would be if the fridge could take the track abuse...
just picked up a cheap (unused) cool shirt for $100 so I figured I'd take the (ice cold) plunge even if its not ideal.

Feels great after a quick 20 lap session today and it was 29deg C with sun beating down.

But resally (and per the question above) not very impressed by the quality of the (dis) connectors..
1 popped out half way through the session and while the stop valve prevents spillage, its annoying
to see that the little semi-sprin loaded connectors seem to be able to lose their spring too easily.
I also broke one of the plastic loops off the bottom of the box by ratchet strapping too hard
- not necessary really, so mostly my fault - but over all not what I'd consider tough enough for the track.

Will fit a couple of angled aluminium piece to body inbetween seat rails ... or maybe
plumb it into the bonnet to get that 5kg into the front

Anyone have/know a neat solution for safe, clever fitment?
The hollow space below the passenger seat is just a tad too small for the box to seat nicely.

Is it p-car sacrilege to rivet or drill into the metal pieces below the seat on the floor? (ie not the floor)??
Old 04-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Lou L
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

First thing I do when I get to the hotel room at the track is fill plastic bowls ( the plastic containers you get at Chinese take out for soup works great!!) with water, crank the freezer in the refrig down all the way, and freeze them. gets you through the 90 enduro's in Fla easily and lasts most of the day. A lot better than the ice you get at the 7-11's. FWIW
Old 04-26-2013, 04:48 PM
HiWind
Race Car

thanks Lou - I'm on it - using milk cartons which I'll cut away.
Can you put too much water in these things?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:48 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the past I used to make one large ice block but found that it became a battering rams against the side mounted pump. I switched to the 986 system but it is not substantially better than the Cool Shirt system we had.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:33 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a hybrid 986 system (different box and their shirt dismantled and the bladders sewn inside a Stand21 FR shirt). It works well enough but my lid still gets hot.

Regardless of the H2O system I was wondering why, instead of a helmet blower, small diameter tubing arranged in a coil could not placed in the top of the helmet (between the shell and the padding) and fed via lines coming down the back or side of the helmet between the seams in the padding. Dual pumps in the box could feed your shirt and your helmet at the same time. In the event of an accident its compressible PVC tubing and just water. Might even help cushion the shock.

Now if you are in the NE or NW you probably think that this is excessive but in the SE when summer ambient temps can and do run to 105F you are looking for every conceivable way to stay cool throughout a 4 hr enduro.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Sounds like you are describing my cool suit shirt, which has a hood with water lines in it. I use it along with a helmet blower in the summer.

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
Regardless of the H2O system I was wondering why, instead of a helmet blower, small diameter tubing arranged in a coil could not placed in the top of the helmet (between the shell and the padding) and fed via lines coming down the back or side of the helmet between the seams in the padding. Dual pumps in the box could feed your shirt and your helmet at the same time. In the event of an accident its compressible PVC tubing and just water. Might even help cushion the shock.

Now if you are in the NE or NW you probably think that this is excessive but in the SE when summer ambient temps can and do run to 105F you are looking for every conceivable way to stay cool throughout a 4 hr enduro.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:48 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Sounds like you are describing my cool suit shirt, which has a hood with water lines in it. I use it along with a helmet blower in the summer.
Except that the tubing is hard-wired (hard-tubed?) into the helmet itself- but yes.

Quick Reply: Cool shirt alternatives