Other Clubs & DE

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:18 AM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other Clubs & DE

Howdy,
I'm thinking of joining BMWCCA (don't own one) to add to my DE potential. What is the word on this? Any other clubs equally good? I'm in New York area.

Thanks,
Old 05-01-2007, 01:20 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
I do not know how it works in your neck of the woods but here in Oregon most of the Marque clubs (Porsche, BMW, Alfa, Corvette, Lotus, etc) that have track time will welcome members from the other clubs to join them on the track without requiring a membership. You might just ask if you can attend.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:57 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I joined the BMW club where I was before although I do not have a Bimmer just to get at more track events.

I was welcomed but did have to pony up the annual membership fee.

At DE's as a green, I did not notice any problem. Once I advanced a bit to blue, I noticed the line taught by the BMW instructors with little rear-engine experience was different than the P-car line.

Marc
Old 05-01-2007, 07:04 AM
jester911
Drifting

In our area, and I imagine in others too the many of the same instructors are at the PCA, BMW, and even Audi DE's. Each seems to have a little different rules but they all seem to be run very well and allow most makes of cars.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The BMW club has a slightly differen philosophy than Porsche which you may or may not like. The costs for the events are more for students because their instructors drive for free, so the students are picking up the entire tab. They also tend to be much slower run groups than Porsche. At least here in the NE. I do enjoy instructing with them and they have an excellent DE program, especially the Genesee Valley region.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by HarryD
I do not know how it works in your neck of the woods but here in Oregon most of the Marque clubs (Porsche, BMW, Alfa, Corvette, Lotus, etc) that have track time will welcome members from the other clubs to join them on the track without requiring a membership. You might just ask if you can attend.
Around here, BMW CCA DE's fill up often times before the invitation is extended to non-members. If you want to be assured of being able to get in, you probably want to join the club. Heck, some DE's have filled up in a matter of days in the past.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

I did and in retrospect I won't renew for the sake of more DE's. In our region that equates to two per year at LRP but the price is $100 per day more than a PCA (CVR) event. The fact that instructors drive free is great incentive for the instructors but I spoke with one at the Club Race and I *think* he said last event he had THREE students! As Geoffry mentioned the upper run groups seem a bit off the PCA pace also. If the extra cost doesn't bother you and you are an instructed student they are well run (went to one). Another advantage is a BMW Club discount on a new car..
Old 05-01-2007, 10:59 AM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Thanks!
I had no idea...hmmm
Old 05-01-2007, 11:22 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Have you checked PDA? They have a lot of track days in the North East: http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/
Old 05-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Just look here..

http://thetrackschedule.com/index.php
Old 05-01-2007, 12:36 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Anyone have experiences with the Audi or NASA clubs?
Old 05-01-2007, 01:24 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I have done 2 events with NASA. I really enjoy the group. Many different makes, models and races at each event. Audi is a good group as well. Less people than at PCA events. At least that is what I saw at the last event at Road Atlanta.
Check out Chin Motorsports. I don't thing they have many events that far north.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:01 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

As with PCA the details of each DE event vary from chapter to chapter of BMW Club or Audi Club.
But in general both Audi and BMW instructors don't pay or pay very little but get more than one student.
Both Audi and BMW events are open to all makes of cars but being a member of the club helps for busy events.
And among instructors you see the same loonies you often find at PCA events.
Often the better instructors are the ones who do events with many different clubs.
In terms of pace in the higher groups I would rank it this way: 1. PCA 2. BMWCCA 3. Audi Club. and it often has to do with the cars, too . But all those organizations have very nice people attending and the social factor is good.
With commercial DE-type events you have to do more research into how strict they are regarding safety and bad drivers.
I only have experience with Trackmasters and can recommend them to drivers who are experienced enough to be in the upper groups of the marquee car clubs (PCA, BMW, Audi, etc.) and run solo. You will get lots of track time with plenty of good drivers around you. And the people are great, as well.
I would be careful with "import tuner" type events at smaller tracks. Often they let in clowns with little clue and plenty of ambition. Bad things often happen.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:18 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did a BMW DE this past weekend in Texas (my first BMW event) and I was surprised how much it was like the PCA DE. In fact, there were numerous P-cars, a few Lotus, a vette or two, a viper, WRX, etc. And most of the instructors were the same guys as the PCA events. I was also surprised that they kept a good pace on the track. I was expecting a bunch of the country club set out there in their 4000lb cars. There were some, but not as much as I expected. Of course, it was a BMW race weekend too, so that may have helped.

I am a member of BMW CCA but I also own a BMW. BMW locally only does 2 DE's a year. I'd go again the next time they offer one. I met a bunch of really nice folks (just like I do at PCA DE's).
Old 05-01-2007, 03:36 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well... I'm a life member of the BMWCCA and yet I don't drive my Porsche at their DEs. I just feel that it's "wrong" to take up a spot in the event when there are BMW driving members that are told "sorry, event is full..." I do ask the BMW Registrar to let me know if he has an empty slot a few days before the event so that I can help them avoid losing money.

As was mentioned before, the BMW events are about $100 more each. If you are starting or intermediate, maybe that's not a bad thing because you get so much more instructor time - in fact, even if you are advanced / solo, they still send out an instructor in your 1st session.

Consider the non-denominational clubs like PDA, SCDA, Trackmasters, etc.

Quick Reply: Other Clubs & DE