Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cup or Saucer - how to pick a run group

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007 | 05:59 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Default Cup or Saucer - how to pick a run group

This will be my first time at The Glen for Cups & Saucers and I'm wondering which group I should ask to be in. In one respect, I'm a totally bone stock car - though a capable 997S. So the street orientation of my car might indicate one run group. Alternatively, I'm in Black and my second day at LRP with this new car was running 1:04s-1:05s on a very cold track. So that might match me up better with another run group.

The acceptance to the event suggests finding the right run group so as not to hold up or terrorize, but I don't have anything to relate to other than my 2 DEs at LRP (will have a 3rd later this week), where I was static with many (like Gary - we never saw each other out there so must have been running similar lap times), passed others quite a bit, and was only passed by a white 996 GT3 Cup and a blue RUF RGT. My goal is to try to anticipate where I should be so as to be "in the flow" and not either held up or holding up.

I know The Glen and was in the 2:16 range with my bone stock M3 on PSCs and race pads, but this is still a new car to me (though I'm learning it quickly). By mid May I will have race pads and PSCs on my 997S, so my platform will be improved over what it was for my few DEs this season at LRP.

Any guidance on proper run group matching would be appreciated - I'm sure for others that read this forum too that are attending Cups & Saucers. If there are any guidelines (ie: Cups = A to B lap time range vs. Saucers = C to D lap time range) I'd like to know about it ahead of time vs. finding out the hard way.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 04-23-2007 | 06:14 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Ron
You don't have to actually sign up for either; just go out and see which group is more comfortable.
With the times you mention, you will be OK in Saucers, but I doubt you will be a speed bump in Cups either, as there is tons of passing room at The Glen (as you know).
With this much track time, you often find that there is more room on track than in our usual 4 run grup schedule.
If you want to join the Tim Lynn/Rick Betterley 'lets see if we can do 300 miles/day' group, you will have to go out in both.
Old 04-23-2007 | 06:15 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Saucer.
Old 04-23-2007 | 06:44 PM
joel-cs
Instructor

good question. i was wondering the same thing. i run similar lap times to you. i was planning to go out in saucers first and see how it goes.
Old 04-23-2007 | 06:48 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I would hook up with guys that run around the same as you and run either one or both, depending on how you feel. Plenty of room there to space out the cars..
Old 04-23-2007 | 06:52 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Ron,

I tend to agree with Rick. Take your first runs in the saucers group and see how you like it. Mostly stock cars run in this group with lower horsepower. The Cups is mostly race cars GT3 Cups and high horsepower cars. There are a lot of great experienced drivers at this event and I don't think you will be disappointed no matter which run group you are in. Just go out and have fun!

Aaron
Old 04-23-2007 | 06:54 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

join the G train in saucers

Joel, with that new LSD you should be able to keep up with the cup cars
Old 04-23-2007 | 07:00 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
join the G train in saucers

choo choo
Old 04-23-2007 | 07:23 PM
joel-cs
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1957 356
the car can (as demonstrated so well by Spencer this weekend), but not me! (yet...)
Old 04-23-2007 | 07:34 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Thanks all - I'll heed the advice and start out in the street group. What will be interesting to see is how well WGI rewards the power of my 997S (putting out about 385 hp as modified). I was doing well at LRP (on street rubber with oem pads), which does not reward HP, so stretching legs at WGI with PSCs and Pagid Oranges should be fun. See you all there!
Old 04-23-2007 | 07:41 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Back when the cup/saucer division was created, it was a guide to help the people with less experience handle the greater speed differential than is normally seen at a DE -- If you only have a few days in white under your belt, and you're driving a GT3, you might not know quite what to do when you come screaming up behind a 914 that doesn't immediately give the passing signal. And on the flip side, you might be driving that 914 and be a little overwhelmed by the GT3's approach.

Hence the two groups were created. If you've been racing that 914 since 1979, then you probably know how to manage traffic passing you -- thus you could happily and successfully run in cups and neither be intimidated by nor cause any "fast cup car drivers" the slightest irritation.

It's a comfort level thing. Try one of each and see which you like. Just remember, if you are running with the saucers you *may* be more likely to encounter less experienced drivers, so respect that and be kind.
Old 04-23-2007 | 08:00 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Van, you raise good points. I've been in black for a few years and have experienced quite a bit on the track. Gary and I were discussing here at RL a 3-wide complex late pass on Main Straight at LRP I was involved in 3 weeks ago, where we had 3 different power differentials. I was 3rd car and the car in front of me got a point and also pointed me. So by start/finish, the 3 of us were side by side with my car having the greatest HP advantage. We all converged into different lines through Big Bend. It really was beautiful and probably the highlight of the day - just the way it all came together and was executed. Also plenty of Short-Chute passes - some right, some left.

As the confirmation suggests, we have to adjust our driving to the group - so if I normally am comfortable doing passing ballet, I have to be conscious that in the less experienced group I might make a driver with just a few days in White a little nervous about approach - where in Black we all might anticipate quickly what the intent is coming into or going out of a situation.
Old 04-23-2007 | 09:12 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Wait until you see the complex passes in the Cup group at WGI...Fun, fun, fun
Old 04-23-2007 | 09:25 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Nothing like going three abreast through the bus stop!
Old 04-23-2007 | 11:05 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

What and when is C&S?

Ron, 2:16 in a stock M3 is moving pretty good!

Quick Reply: Cup or Saucer - how to pick a run group