Sponsored by:

Are dogs allowed at Watkins Glen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Mark, what group does he drive in? See you guys there.
Why, the food group, of course!
Old 04-22-2007, 09:59 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool dawg! Broke my nose this weekend saving my dogs *** from a much larger dog after a dominance fight. Shepard mix had my little corgi's head in her mouth bitting her eye. Four people were there wondering what to do, so I dove in, lifted the dog by it neck and tail up over my head and to the ground in one motion (submissive position). Dog turned to bite me me, but could only manage a head butt on my nose. Dogs were fine after cooling off and we finished off 6 bottles of wine to put it behind us. I think 5 more seconds and I would have had a "one-eyed" dog.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:52 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

My daughter will be disappointed to see you but no Rudy.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Bob - Cool story. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to save your pooch. Bummer that you ended up with a busted nose but at least the other dog didn't bite you in the gonads.

John - I am very disappointed to not bring Rudy, too.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:19 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Does anybody remember the story about the region president who's Boxer (not the car) got loose up at Mosport? I have forgotten whether it was a race or DE, but it got red flagged so that the driver could come in, pick up a leash, drive back onto the track and corral the dog, stick him in the race car and drive back to the pits (with the dog undoubtably hanging his head out the window).
Must have been hilarious (though potentially dangerous).
I do remember losing a few sessions at Mosport a couple years ago when a corner worker got bit by a frightened dog that got onto the track. Apologies to the dog lovers in the group but pets have no business at a driving event, DE, race, or otherwise. The risk to the animal, as well as to others, is simply not worth it. You are not only risking others well being, but potentially reducing their enjoyment at an event that they paid for.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:27 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patrick
I do remember losing a few sessions at Mosport a couple years ago when a corner worker got bit by a frightened dog that got onto the track. Apologies to the dog lovers in the group but pets have no business at a driving event, DE, race, or otherwise. The risk to the animal, as well as to others, is simply not worth it. You are not only risking others well being, but potentially reducing their enjoyment at an event that they paid for.
Unruly pets, like unruly children, have no business at the track, but well-behaved pets on leashes, should be and are just fine.

Quite frankly, you're more likely to hit a deer on the track than a dog that is off-leash.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:33 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Unruly pets, like unruly children, have no business at the track, but well-behaved pets on leashes, should be and are just fine.

Quite frankly, you're more likely to hit a deer on the track than a dog that is off-leash.
Mark, I would not likely notice a well behaved dog at the track, but I do notice many unruly ones. Even the most well disciplined animal can be very unpredictable when it finds itself in a strange environment. IIRC, the one at Mosport started out well behaved and on a leash.

Any stats to back up the deer claim?
Old 04-23-2007, 12:49 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

At Summit Point alone, Tony Kelly aka Deertony hit a deer two or three years ago. Last year, another driver (not sure who it was) at Summit hit a deer, not to mention the various groundhogs, squirrels and rabbits that end up as bloody cones for us to drive around.

No hard and fast empirical data but here's three:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=deer

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=deer

http://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthr...highlight=deer

I have yet to see a one single dog on the track, but that's not to say that I don't believe it hasn't happened.

Dogs don't cause track accidents; bad owners cause track accidents.

Actually, at the track, guess who's most likely to cause a loss of track time for you? That's right, your fellow drivers. I haven't seen too many drivers banned because they went off track too many times, but maybe I just chose events with better drovers.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 04-23-2007 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Dogs don't cause track accidents; bad owners cause track accidents.
No argument here.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:49 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Mark, How true.

This guy is often seen in "the boot" at the glen.
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2007, 10:04 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All it takes is a few inconsiderate owners to screw it up for the rest of us. My dog is so mellow, he naps while unmuffled 996 cup cars rip the early morning air. Truly, an awesome track dog.

Here's Rudy at VIR's last PCA club race, just daring me to back up my truck:

Yep , possibly to put him out of his misery, after travelling to tracks where he does not get a trophy , putting up with fuel smells , bad food and noise
Old 04-23-2007, 10:06 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1, Nothing against pets, but just like small kids ( younger than 5 yrs ) they are a distraction and there is potential harm to their safety, risking the event for everyone. Can you imagine if another competitor ran over your dog!

I did not allow my kids to the track until they where 6 Plus and i was comfortable they understood the danger and followed my instructions ...

Mark in baltimore wrote:
At Summit Point alone, Tony Kelly aka Deertony hit a deer two or three years ago. Last year, another driver (not sure who it was) at Summit hit a deer, not to mention the various groundhogs, squirrels and rabbits that end up as bloody cones for us to drive around.

Ok,
But at least we can feed the masses after an altercation
Old 04-23-2007, 10:39 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Just to be sure we don't offend the dog in my story, there was no biting involved.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:56 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

I'm not making this up...

Last year at the Glen while my car was parked in the safe confines of a garage another participant comes strolling along with his dog. Stops by my car to look. The unruly dog attempts to jump on the hood of my beautiful silver 996 Turbo S. Sharp paws scratched my bumper. Fortunately, my buddy and I managed to buff out those scratches. But at that moment all I saw was Red...
Old 04-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobbyC
I'm not making this up...

Last year at the Glen while my car was parked in the safe confines of a garage another participant comes strolling along with his dog. Stops by my car to look. The unruly dog attempts to jump on the hood of my beautiful silver 996 Turbo S. Sharp paws scratched my bumper. Fortunately, my buddy and I managed to buff out those scratches. But at that moment all I saw was Red...
I'd be furious, too. I had a friend's dog jump up on the door of my truck a few years back and thought, "What the hell are you doing?!"

Quick Reply: Are dogs allowed at Watkins Glen?