Sponsored by:

OT: Garage floor Epoxy

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 09:08 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
With the fleck stuff, it looks good pretty much all the time (I only wash my floor once per year...after the winter).
Is that because with the flecks it just looks dirty all the time?
Old 04-29-2007, 09:19 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
+1
Old 04-30-2007, 09:04 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I like the flecks too. No it does not look dirty it just has a random pattern that obscures the large flat surfaces. You eyes want to pick up defects in a large area and if the surface is all "defects" then the dirt and little dings are obscured. I have not had an extra hard time finding small dropped parts nor do I fret much about the sheen of the shop floor. I spill I throw drysorb on it and sweep it up. With the non top coated coatings the flecks are on the top surface and are broadcast on the final coating while it is wet. I also have a tubing bender and fishmouth cutter that are floor mounted near the middle of the shop when they are in use. When the tools are not being used which is 99% of the time I plug the threaded mounting holes with gray caulk and some flecks to keep dirt out of the holes and mask the holes location. A drywall screw driven into the plug pulls the plug and paper wad backing right out. The flecks do add some slight texture to the floor surface if there is no glossy top coat. The floors that I found to be slippery are the ones with a gloss final coat.

If you plan to grit the top coat don't use "sand" use materal made for this it is not expensive and makes for a better outcome. Don't just sprinkel it into the top coat and walk away sprinkle it iand roll it into the coating. This encapsulates it and also make it more evenly spread.

The dealership I work for has the 1/8+ thick gray top of the line pro coated surface in one 35 bay shop area. (out of 150 service bays total) We had to grit the top coat. It has stood up well so far but is dulling in the work and drive areas. I would not recomend a high gloss coating in any areas where much work is going to take place.

Quick Reply: OT: Garage floor Epoxy