Sponsored by:

Two uneventful days at LRP except....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Gary, I think a little lead follow will be in order at cups and saucers. Hopefully, I can pick some things up from you prior to the race at the Glen.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:43 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

plan on giong to Watkins in May for the 2day open running with the Hudson Valey group + 1 day with track masters + 2 days with another group

i'm headed down to VIR next a week Mon/Tues with Audi guys to VIR - my first vist there - if i can stand to drive in the 996gt3 seats for 7hrs i will take the car - otherwise i will bring my S4

what is the weight and hp/tq of your yellow machine

paul
Old 04-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Gary, I think a little lead follow will be in order at cups and saucers. Hopefully, I can pick some things up from you prior to the race at the Glen.
Funny Sean, I wanted to follow you at LRP to learn more of what Rob taught you... if we only had about 5 more minutes for me to get through that traffic that last run.. I'd love to run with you and compare notes anytime! I'm sure we will have a small group of us that can hang together at the Glen, I need to get down under 2:20 I think and from what I remember from last year that is several seconds away.. but doable. I really love the Glen and even though people say its a HP track (and I WILL bring the Turbo there later in the year I hope) I have an absolute BLAST driving my 180HP beast there..
Old 04-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
plan on giong to Watkins in May for the 2day open running with the Hudson Valey group + 1 day with track masters + 2 days with another group

i'm headed down to VIR next a week Mon/Tues with Audi guys to VIR - my first vist there - if i can stand to drive in the 996gt3 seats for 7hrs i will take the car - otherwise i will bring my S4

what is the weight and hp/tq of your yellow machine
paul
Good, see you at WGI! My SC is about 170HP to the wheels and about 2650 LB, stock engine, transmission, and brakes.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:09 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I'm sure the "why two kids in the car" question will be brought up during the trial....
Why would this be something in a trial? 35mph exercise, kid hits wrong pedal and panicks, kid at fault. But then again you can sue anybody in the US. Come to think of it, I am going to sue Skippy as well for the emotional distress I feel reading a story about a rollover event under their watch
Old 04-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Why would this be something in a trial? 35mph exercise, kid hits wrong pedal and panicks, kid at fault. But then again you can sue anybody in the US. Come to think of it, I am going to sue Skippy as well for the emotional distress I feel reading a story about a rollover event under their watch
I said that sort of "tongue in cheek" for that very reason.. You can almost be assured someone will sue someone here in the US. Only one I want to sue is the idiot with the camera...
Old 04-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work at Steven's Advanced Driver Training and I instruct there in the teen driver program. We don't let the teens drive 10 feet without one of us in the car with them They are there for a reason and that is because they don't have the skills or the know how to control cars in skids. Shame on Skip Barber for letting them drive alone if that is what really happened.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:17 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I said that sort of "tongue in cheek" for that very reason.. You can almost be assured someone will sue someone here in the US. Only one I want to sue is the idiot with the camera...
I know Gary. I was doing the same. I forgot to add the smiley once again.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
I work at Steven's Advanced Driver Training and I instruct there in the teen driver program. We don't let the teens drive 10 feet without one of us in the car with them They are there for a reason and that is because they don't have the skills or the know how to control cars in skids. Shame on Skip Barber for letting them drive alone if that is what really happened.
There were two people in the car -- not sure if both were students, or if one was an instructor.

-Z
Old 04-16-2007, 04:07 PM
tntporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The report was that they were both students and that the driver was given a headset so that the instructor could tell her when to brake. It was apparently the last braking exercise and the instructor gets out of the car.

I was amazed that they were not wearing helmets and that they use cabs for the school.

I hope the young women will make a full recovery . . . we should keep them and their families in our prayers.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:46 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Honestly, if there was an instructor in the car, what would they have been able to do? yank the wheel over maybe, but not much more. They could give a verbal command but if this student is already panicing to the point of flooring it and not lifting, then somebody yelling at them would probably not remedy the situation. They would be belted in and thus not able to jump over and do anything. In these situations it happens so fast you don't know what hit you. You think in the first 1/2 sec 'what's happening?' the next 1/2 sec you're thinking 'is this really happening?' the next 1/2 sec you're bracing for impact.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the handbrake.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

grab the emergency brake...

In some of the cars they use like on the skid pad, the instructor has a brake pedal and a kill switch. I'm surprised this is where they had the problem. Looking back on the 2 day driving school I did with them, I'm surprised no one has died in the autocross section right above no name driving the Vipers without helmets (open cockpit).
Old 04-16-2007, 10:47 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by butzip
Honestly, if there was an instructor in the car, what would they have been able to do? yank the wheel over maybe, but not much more. They could give a verbal command but if this student is already panicing to the point of flooring it and not lifting, then somebody yelling at them would probably not remedy the situation. They would be belted in and thus not able to jump over and do anything. In these situations it happens so fast you don't know what hit you. You think in the first 1/2 sec 'what's happening?' the next 1/2 sec you're thinking 'is this really happening?' the next 1/2 sec you're bracing for impact.

At out school we are told to grab the e-brake, kick the car into "N", shut the car off, or grab the wheel. I have had a student send a car flying into a field before and I had no problem grabbing the wheel from him while yelling "BRAKE!" Poor job here by Skippy School!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:26 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We crashed our rally car in the Cherokee Trails SCCA rally and I remember the only thing I had time to do was think to myself 'here it comes', 'IT' being a 25" diameter tree and death. Now this of course was a competetive event and rallies are inherently dangerous. Our crash was a result of a pace note error. Whomever put the pace notes together severely misjudged this corner. A high speed down hill straight (90mph on a one lane logging road) followed by a '90 @ crest'. The pace note read 'medium right over crest' which calls for a very different, faster, approach. Consequently, we left the road at a very high rate of speed straight into the woods almost killing ourselves and the occupants of the car in front of us who had also left the road in the same spot. had we not hit the tree we would have flown off a 30 ft cliff and pancaked the other car who had gone down the cliff coming to rest in a stream @ the bottom. The ONLY reason we survived was 5 pt harness / rollcage / helmet and neck retraints. We built another car and ran the same event the next year, and wouldn't you know it, they ran the same stage with the same damn pace note. As we came to the corner, older and wiser, we slowed down to see a fellow competitor impailed on the same tree.......

Last edited by butzip; 10-17-2007 at 07:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Two uneventful days at LRP except....