Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two uneventful days at LRP except....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 12:16 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Glad to see you made it home safe buddy.. can't wait till next week to hear how you like driving a 911!! See you Saturday, just got an email confirming my place in HCR Black on 4/21!
Old 04-15-2007, 12:24 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Glad to see you made it home safe buddy.. can't wait till next week to hear how you like driving a 911!! See you Saturday, just got an email confirming my place in HCR Black on 4/21!
Thanks. You should be in no other group other than Black.....
Unless you decide to instruct and run in Red......
Old 04-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default clarifications

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Thanks. You should be in no other group other than Black.....
Unless you decide to instruct and run in Red......
Gary's done in white. Dave B. took care of that yesterday. I just got Instructor checkout done yesterday, or I would have roled with you.

Clarification on the crash. It was not in the DE. It was in the skippy school at the top of the hill. Too many people from the DE felt compeled to run up the hill to gawk. If or when I crash, all that I want to see standing around are trained staff.

I heard the crash and saw the car tumbling. It really was surreal.

Alan
Old 04-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Goettel
Gary's done in white. Dave B. took care of that yesterday. I just got Instructor checkout done yesterday, or I would have roled with you.

Clarification on the crash. It was not in the DE. It was in the Skippy school at the top of the hill. Too many people from the DE felt compelled to run up the hill to gawk. If or when I crash, all that I want to see standing around are trained staff.

I heard the crash and saw the car tumbling. It really was surreal.
Alan
Alan -

I had told Russ to put me wherever he was comfortable and I would do my best to fit in. Ralph S. told me I should ask for a check out but I just let it be. Everyone was very good with passing signals and I had a great time. As I was trying out some new things it was actually good not to have the crazy Black cowboys breathing down my neck...

Did we meet? I met a lot of new people this weekend (which makes the event for me), but can't remember an Alan. And what exactly did Dave B. (assuming it's CVR's DE VP) do?
Old 04-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Default ....

No, we were parked near you, and I intended to finally introduce myself but never did. I usually keep a low profile. Dave B (is who you assume he is) told (Russ) that "he vouched for you in Black", and Russ said "that they had already come to that conclusion from what they had observed from your driving."

The attitude about driving where you are assigned goes a long way. Several years ago I had about 10 days in white, and got assigned to yellow with an instructor, even though I had been signed off by them a year prior in yellow. I never even mentioned the fact to my instructor, just drove (1 session sign off).

Its all attitude that got me NNJR's Instructor Sign Off.

I had told Russ to put me wherever he was comfortable and I would do my best to fit in. Ralph S. told me I should ask for a check out but I just let it be. Everyone was very good with passing signals and I had a great time. As I was trying out some new things it was actually good not to have the crazy Black cowboys breathing down my neck...

Did we meet? I met a lot of new people this weekend (which makes the event for me), but can't remember an Alan. And what exactly did Dave B. (assuming it's CVR's DE VP) do? [/QUOTE]
Old 04-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Congratulations on Instructor status Alan! Hopefully we can meet at an upcoming event.. i'll be back at LRP on 4/21 and there for the DE on 4/26 and the CR on 4/27-28. Then Cups and Saucers at WGI in May!
Old 04-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Congratulations on Instructor status Alan! Hopefully we can meet at an upcoming event.. i'll be back at LRP on 4/21 and there for the DE on 4/26 and the CR on 4/27-28. Then Cups and Saucers at WGI in May!

I'll see you Saturday! I'll probably opt for Black if Red shapes up like I think it will. If you can hang CVR Black (at LPR), you are a Cowboy!

Alan
Old 04-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Goettel
I'll see you Saturday! I'll probably opt for Black if Red shapes up like I think it will. If you can hang CVR Black (at LPR), you are a Cowboy!

Alan
Great, I guess you know my car.. What are you driving? Email me a pic and i'll track you down.

As for the CVR cowboys, I just try to hold my own and not embarrass myself...
Old 04-15-2007, 01:45 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding the Skippy accident - I was standing in the paddock area near the left hander facing the hill on which the accident occurred, so I pretty much saw the whole thing unfold.

First, I saw a big tree falling down -- I thought to myself, "Odd that they would be cutting trees down now..." Immediately after that, I saw a car flying through the air. I think the tree acted like a ramp once it fell down. It tree was hit on the driver's side, so as the car went airborn, it started spinning as well.

It went straight up (nose first) and did a piroutte (or two) in the air. Landed on the back bumper, and eventually rolled over on its top.

I had a student to take out, but I started running towards the accident at first - since I didn't see anyone going towards the car. Seconds later, of course, emergency aids were on the scene, so I stayed away.

From what I heard, both driver and passenger had some head injuries, and were taken away by ambulance. I too pray that they make a full recovery.

Crazy, freak accident.

-Z-man.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I was in the short chute headed for the left-hander just as she came through the trees. One of the craziest things I've ever seen. It looked like something out of a movie. The car literally went end over end (nose to tail) and then barrel rolled a couple of times before coming to rest on its side. From my viewpoint it looked like if it had one or two more revolutions it would roll all the way down the hill and on to the track. I nearly drove straight off the track through the left-hander. Good thing I had an instructor riding with me or I probably would have.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

A close friend of mine had a son at that Skippy school. We had just gone up to get a camera out of the car that was parked at the classroom. These kids were driving solo with no helmets.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Originally Posted by Minoclan
A close friend of mine had a son at that Skippy school. We had just gone up to get a camera out of the car that was parked at the classroom. These kids were driving solo with no helmets.
WOW!
Old 04-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I did that school and I know the drill they were doing. They don't use helmets for any of the exercises over the two days - inlcuding autox. There isn't ever an instructor in the car unless it's a demonstration. To be honest what happened is almost inexplicable. She had to have hit the gas instead of the brake.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:49 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gary,

I was driving the white 997 GT3 in the White Group giving you the point bye - when I saw you the 2 times in my mirrors I hope I gave you the point bye asap without holding you up.
I did a best of 1.06 of my 3rd run on Saturday and decided not to tempt good luck after I went up and saw the accident on the hill.
Very nice driving out there.
This was my second day in the GT3 on the track and I think there is maybe 3 seconds left given my current abilities (approx 20 track days).
Hope to join you in black shortly as I plan on doing alot of events this year.

Paul
Old 04-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Paul, I stopped by to oogle your car and you were away at the time. Absolutely gorgeous.. I thank you for the points, you were great to run with! I wish I had the guts to field a car like that but my driving "style" is exactly why I sold my 997S..

Are you coming to HCR next weekend or Cups at Watkins in May? WGI is a GREAT track for a fast monster like yours!

Quick Reply: Two uneventful days at LRP except....