Sponsored by:

HANS and Shoulder Harness Position

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 12:58 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HANS and Shoulder Harness Position

I recently had GT3 seats, Schroth harnesses and a Tequipment roll bar installed in my 997S. I am running the 2"-3" shoulder harnesses as I am using a HANS device.

I have now learned that the shoulder harnesses must be mounted no further than 3" apart. Their mounting on the Tequipment bar, however, permits them to move side to side, as this bar does not have a "guide" to hold them in place. My shop apparently installed some rubber rings to help keep them in place, but in practice, these rings appear to do very little to keep the harnesses in position horizontally.

Is there a cost effective solution, short of welding in guides, to keeping these harnesses together? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:53 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Locking collars that are normally used on Blower shafts work well and are inexpensive. They are half circles with allan bolts to clamp them together. You can get them at HVAC and machine parts outlets like Granger. They are also made and sold in racer parts circles. you could check with Summit racing and the like.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:31 AM
mnorek
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1, you can get shaft collars (and any other hardware you can think of) at mcmaster.com

See: McMaster Link
Old 04-12-2007, 07:59 AM
mnorek
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The above link doesn't work for some reason, just go to www.mcmaster.com and search for "shaft collar".
Old 04-12-2007, 11:06 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by fuenfer
My shop apparently installed some rubber rings to help keep them in place, but in practice, these rings appear to do very little to keep the harnesses in position horizontally.
Actually those rubber rings come on the Teq bar directly from PCNA. The ones low on the diagonal if positioned properly will protect the rear of the pax fom scratching against the bar. The rubber rings serve as a nice guide for the harnesses. I currently run with the rubber rings and have had ZERO problems with belts sliding around. Sure locking rings would be preferred and I will go that route at some point but right now all is fine.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mnorek
The above link doesn't work for some reason, just go to www.mcmaster.com and search for "shaft collar".
+1, they're roughly $10/piece and you need 2 per harness.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:31 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Actually those rubber rings come on the Teq bar directly from PCNA. The ones low on the diagonal if positioned properly will protect the rear of the pax fom scratching against the bar. The rubber rings serve as a nice guide for the harnesses. I currently run with the rubber rings and have had ZERO problems with belts sliding around. Sure locking rings would be preferred and I will go that route at some point but right now all is fine.
The rubber rings work fine for the non-HANS harnesses on the passenger side, but they can't seem to keep the harnesses in position on the driver (HANS) side. Part of the reason is that the HANS device requires the harnesses to be mounted no further than three inches from each other. When the harness is tightened, for whatever reason, the harnesses on the driver side push the rubber rings to the point that the distance between the harnesses is much greater than three inches.

In any case thank you everybody for your advice!
Old 04-13-2007, 07:28 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

sounds like the upgrade to a locking device sounds like the way to go.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fuenfer
The rubber rings work fine for the non-HANS harnesses on the passenger side, but they can't seem to keep the harnesses in position on the driver (HANS) side. Part of the reason is that the HANS device requires the harnesses to be mounted no further than three inches from each other. When the harness is tightened, for whatever reason, the harnesses on the driver side push the rubber rings to the point that the distance between the harnesses is much greater than three inches.

In any case thank you everybody for your advice!
There is no set distance the belts must be apart, it depends on the distance between your seat and harness bar. I beleive the two belts need to have a 20* seperation from a birds eye view. The belts can even be crossed if the harness bar is that far back.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:44 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

There is no set distance the belts must be apart
It does say here in the Hans Device Quick Start Guide that the belts should be 3” (75mm) maximum belt separation, inner edge to inner edge...
Old 04-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Key word: Maximum
http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/Co...structions.pdf Pg 23
Old 04-13-2007, 11:06 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm....

All well and good to quote chapter and verse from this text or that, but until one manufacturer makes EVERY component in a safety system, you must be prepared to seek the best COMPROMISE possible to get the best setup you can. This means understanding every component in the sytem, how they function seperately, how they relate to eachother, and knowing which brands to choose to get a rise out of your dough.

THAT is the real trick to making all this stuff work togehter. All that takes is experience.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Thanks for the link.
It's interesting to check out pages 26 and 27, relating the HANS specific double belt system (2" for HANS, 3" for driver), especially the geometries once you clear the seat in a sedan application.

Quick Reply: HANS and Shoulder Harness Position