Sponsored by:

Where did the Chin thread go off to?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 01:40 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absoulutely agree, Mike . . . the sound of any plane is awesome. I will never cease to be fascinated by the technology behind even the slowest airplane. It has LONG been a passion of mine to fly one day.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:44 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Go do it girl
Old 04-12-2007, 01:52 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I WISH, Mike. I don't have that much money, and I'm not young enough any longer to join the military. I will keep the hope high, though. If I have my say, I WILL fly someday. Why? I am not exactly sure. I guess it's just pure desire. Thanks though, for the encouragement. I really, REALLY want to float on air someday. I've dreamed of it since I was about eight or so years old.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:01 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Classic case of leaving the sandbox and taking your toys with you. You really do need to grow thicker skin as reported and not as you claim. If you did you would NOT have deleted. There was some SERIOUSLY good advice in there and could have benefited OTHERS which is what this board is all about.

This board does not tolerate selfishness when it comes to this stuff. Just b/c you started the thread doesn't mean you have to continue with it. Just post that you are done and if others wish to comment then go ahead. In the future it would be nice if you would warn people ahead of time if you are going to delete a thread if you don't like what some people post so those of us that acutally spent TIME to post a thoughtful and helpful response to your question can just refrain from helping out knowing that it won't last long.

Nice way to start making enemies and alienating yourself from those that really are the helpful ones you can learn from.

Just my $.02
Geesh chill dude! Sorry that thread ment so much to you...ok I get it! I said I got great advice but there was a smart azz post and 2 smart azz pm's that I did not appreciate. I asked a few questions and even went as far as explaining why I was asking these questions. I am sort of new at all of this and I get berated for saying my last DE was frustrating slow and I could not learn some braking tech because of it....why would one want to slam me for that? So I guess you are the great judge of threads and really loved that one huh? Great Thanks! Just razzin' ya back...it's all good!
I don't feel I need to explain myself to you but I felt the thread was about to go of in the wrong direction and I was totally misunderstood by a few...however you, Tom Kerr, Mitch, C4 Guy, nkhalidi and others I remember posted good advice and explainations about the difference of a Porsche Club DE and Chin.
thanks, Mike
Old 04-12-2007, 03:05 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bonster
I WISH, Mike. I don't have that much money, and I'm not young enough any longer to join the military. I will keep the hope high, though. If I have my say, I WILL fly someday. Why? I am not exactly sure. I guess it's just pure desire. Thanks though, for the encouragement. I really, REALLY want to float on air someday. I've dreamed of it since I was about eight or so years old.
Hey, you know that just about all small plane airports offer a free or pretty cheap (usually around $35) 1st flight lesson. Stop by your local neighborhood airport FBO (flight based operator) and check it out. It's a blast....I took flight lesson for about a year a few years ago and had a lot of fun but never followed through with it for medical, family and personal reasons.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:09 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this the thread in question: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343726? I'm not sure what you original post was, or what the PMs said, but I don't see any post in the thread that could be considered "going down the wrong path". There are a few "don't be in a rush to move up" posts, but those people were correct IMHO. DE is like anything else that takes skill, you need to build a good foundation.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:30 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I did not read the last chin thread, but did instruct for them a few years ago.

IMHO, Its a great group for the experienced solo driver, and pretty good for the DE student... BUT, for the instructor, it was a very long day...

IIRC the first few hours were timed sessions, with students getting the track to them selves, but after that, it was one big open session, with solo and students combined...

Also the cars running were a very diverse, and had lots of speed diferential... everything from open wheeled, FF/FA, to old nascar cars, vipers, and SM's.

I did not like having the open wheeled cars on track with me, especially when in the right seat... (too hard to see, and very fast in the corners)

but short of a test day, it had the most track time for the money.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:31 AM
RSchoeni
Instructor

I didn't have any problem with the original post. I think most students think they're ready to advance faster than they probably should. One of the tasks for the Instructor is to keep control of our enthusiasm and not be pushed into advancing us prematurely. I think Tom and Mitch etc. gave good advice. But MDRUMS, I think that if you write it for all to see, then you shouldn't delete/edit it.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by jimculp
Way far away. I've only been to the track once two years ago. It seems to me that the Chateau Elan is the only game in town but I could be wrong. Sorry I don't know much about the area.
I haven't eaten there, but I'm told there is a little cafe at the Sebring airport that is nice.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks everyone for all the great restaurant recommendations. I'll have to take my laptop with me to look up this thread again when I get there.

As far as all the commotion about whether or not to advance students. That should be kept between the student and the instructor. I absolutely agree, it is my job as an instructor to keep you safe, on the track, and advise you appropriately (in private) as to your progress. If I feel a student is not ready to go solo or move up into a more advanced group, I feel I should be respected for that decision, given the many years that I have been instructing. My number one job is to keep you SAFE -- I take that duty VERY seriously. If I just cut you loose, and you get into an accident, it would be MY fault, as I see it. So instructors -- keep a tight rein on your students and they won't be able to get out of hand. Students -- respect your instructors and understand that this is not a power trip -- this is us sharing with you our love of motorsports without you taking your car home on a flatbed at the end of the day.

That said, I can't wait to meet you folks! My boyfriend tells me that this time of the year (the May event, that is) is some of the nicest weather Fl has to offer. Maybe I should wear shorts?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:28 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Guys, I am not trying to move up too fast...I can't move up to fast because the club and instructors won't let someone do that. I understand all that...what is it you all do not understand about my original questions about Chin and my frustration with my last Porsche Club DE green run group?

My question is and so far nobody has explained it to me is....how can I practice threshold braking, trail braking, and basically keep picking up speed if I can not progress in speed when the group I am in is so slow through corners that I basically do not even need to hardly brake for the corners?

I left my 1st DE wondering if I even had the skill for these techniques. My instructor explained them to me but I could not learn them due to the speeds in the green group....I was very frustrated. Then I went to the Porsche 2 day Baraber course and learned and found out I do have these skills. Hurley Haywood, Dan Eastman and Peter Litzenberger were my instructors. At that school we were going (on the second day) in my run group 2-3 times faster than my green DE group. I learned I have a good feel for the car and did quite well. I want to keep my learning curve going by doing DE events because I ma having a blast...but if I am running around and coasting into corners in the green group at Sebring with the Porsche Club I will never progress and learn anything. Learning is fun and I want to have a ton of fun.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:33 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
...but if I am running around and coasting into corners in the green group at Sebring with the Porsche Club I will never progress and learn anything.
Either that was one POORLY run event and an anomoly contrary to how they really run OR your instructor should have pulled into the hot pits, asked the starter for space and then head back out. You might not believe it, but there is ALWAYS space on the track, it is just that when lines form it is really hard to break them and the best thing to do is pull in and get space. Then you have to track all to yourself while the train screws around!

Did you even voice your concern to the instructor so that he might have the ability to pull in to get space???
Old 04-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

mdrums . . . I for one was not trying to make you feel uncomfortable or anything. My statement was to the general public, as so many have jumped in on this particular leg of this thread. If you want to go faster, if you want to practice new techniques, just tell your instructor what your goals are. I almost always ask, EVERY session, what my student's goals will be for that session. If you get an instructor who does not ask that of you, just volunteer it instead. Maybe you can tell your next instructor that your goal is to move up to the next group -- and tell your instructor WHY you want to move up, and try to cite examples of why you think you are ready. Tell the instructor of your experience to date, as well. Then, after your session, once your instructor is confident you can move up to the next run group, make sure your instructor follows through and lets the lead instructor or organizer know that you are ready for the next level.

I do realize from instructing with the GGPCA (our local P-club) that the rules are pretty strict, but I can understand why. Some of these cars far exceed a $100,000 price tag, and it could very likely be that PCA fears lawsuits. They'd probably rather be a little paranoid rather than too loose. I don't think it's anything personal to anybody, including yourself. They're just trying to keep you safe.

So just make sure you let folks know that you would like to move up to the next group, preferrably BEFORE the event. Email them and let them know that you'd like to go for a check-off drive to enter into the next level. Usually, that will get things done. Best of luck!
Old 04-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

CVR actually has a checkbox in their online registration for both "request instruction" (for solo thru upper run groups) and "request check out for next run group" (approximate as I can't look there now). I think it's a great idea.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:13 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

mdrums,

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger......

Ask me how I know, or just read some of the threads I started a while back.

Everyone is here to help, yes, some the deliveries might be a bit strong, but hang in there........

Quick Reply: Where did the Chin thread go off to?